How's going with NethServer 8?

Maybe we could start with a complete NOOB tutorial for building a NS8 module.

would help grow the commuity.

you could also build is as a community module, just leave it outside of the core functions, for whoever needs to make use of it,

Am also curious, there was talk of creating a module migration tool, that would convert all community modules from NS7 to NS8, is this really feasible to be done, woulc it be done, or all modules have to be re-done one by one from scratch.

2 Likes

interestingly Nextcloud already have v 26 BEta out.

is it upcoming soon, and or are those tasks for public beta all done.

Maybe this is an option?

Or even better to the ‘outside’ Twitter and FB world (just an example):

And it would also help if the regular updates could be published to Twitter and FB (Updates for NethServer 7)

And indeed, looking at the existing Twitter account for Netherver, it seems dead (last post 2019)

https://twitter.com/NethServer/with_replies

1 Like

Anything we, as community, can do to get things going again?

Give me some time to kick off an important project so I can propose a plan for this

1 Like

https://ns8.nethserver.org/index.html

new documentation page

6 Likes

Just a thought here. Would it be fair to say that Nethserver is a name that no longer covers the load? No longer do we have we have a ‘old school’ server, but actually a SaaS platform providing all kinds of services and being extendible, distributed and HA?

So my thought is if we should we reach back to old school descriptions for a ‘stand alone’ server which was perfectly valid a while ago, but today maybe the naming convention and positioning should be reconsidered?

2 cents…

2 Likes

Impressive.

1 Like

From the docs:

Is there a preference among these? Or is any of them as good as the others?

And is it, or will it be, possible to migrate from OpenLDAP to AD as an accounts provider?

1 Like

Let’s call it NethService :laughing:

I personally prefer CentOS stream for development and Rocky Linux for production

No, I think it’s not possible due to different and incompatible password encryption schemes. But I might be wrong…

1 Like

Any roadmap available?
Any matrix of NS7 service vs NS8 service and status of implementation?

The roadmap link is still Trello

It is frequently updated

I don’t know of such comparative document now but for the first stable release I expect the admin manual contains it.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: NS8 installation on Rocky Linux fails

don’t like centos stream but I could be wrong

alma linux should be fine

must admit I do not use often debian

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Is NethServer the right name for the new version?

@giacomo could you share, when easible your notes on implementing and running this particular module into NS8 and having it work with matermost. would provide a good starting point.

thanx.

NC 27 has been already released Nextcloud 27.0.1 · Issue #6757 · NethServer/dev · GitHub :wink:

1 Like

oh what a wonderful thing.

its interesting that you can update individual componets on the nethserver dashboard, i hope that feature carries forward to ns8 as well.

Thank @giacomo for the NsC 27 Update.

2 Likes