How to improve community hangouts?

Would like to propose next week on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday, 21.00 CEST would be the best choice for me.

1 Like

I don’t read about an “Improve the doc Hangout” :smirk_cat:

Yes, of course. We need it! Do you want to organize it?

Hi @syntaxerrormmm and @robb

• 21:00 hs CEST is good option
  • 15:00 hs VET for me

1 Like

So, who’s missing? @robb?

Tomorrow the NethServer Community team @robb @jim and me is going to meet up here:
https://blab.im/alessio-fattorini-nethserver-community-team
11.30 UTC
You’re free to join us or just watch the meeting

1 Like

19th of mai is my birthday, but I think I can make it at 19.00 brussels time. If we can make it a short hangout (like 30 minutes,) it will be no problem.
Any suggestions for topics to discuss?
I would propose to have create a plan on how to install and test educational applications so they will be integrated in NethServer.
Any other thoughts?

1 Like

Hi brother!
The day 19 will then be full of joy with another area of your life celebrating with you.

I feel very good theme that you propose .

I think another could be:

Establish a model template services to install, in the case of school intranet servers .

This would provide preliminary support for schools who test Nethserver but surely not have a significant knowledge of the technology area ( I feel identified with this point! :smile: )

Moreover, it is important to coordinate with the translation team in order that our transifex is available and open to the group of educators who choose to use Nethserver.

So far then we adding these 2 points if we agree

My regards, brother

Hi @apradoc
Do you mean to create Nethserver modules for these applications? I think this is mandatory for any ‘integrated’ application! Unfortunately I am (still) not used to the template system in NethServer, but I do think that having those for the educational applications is a must to be able to get NethServer more accepted in less technical environments.

about the translation, I agree fully! Especially in educational environments, it is a must that both the nethserver webinterface and the applications are translated. Bear in mind that for some applications (like Chamilo and Xerte online Toolkits) already are translated in many languages, including Spanish.

I created a blab event to use. Facebook or twitter (one of those two) is mandatory. If any of you have a problem with that, we should choose another way. https://blab.im/rob-bosch-nethserver-education-team
@apradoc @syntaxerrormmm what do you think?

Anyone that is interested can join this meeting. See you next thursday.

1 Like

[quote=“robb, post:48, topic:3284”]

I understood that @apradoc means to find out a basic set of services/features/configurations to quickly configure a server for the usage inside school intranets. I think the goal would be, for example, install a nethserver-education package and have, say, SAMBA already configured as domain controller, content filter enabled with basic filters, DHCP enabled with a configured range, Moodle platform already available and loaded at server side, etc.

If I understood this correctly :wink: this would be a good schema to apply also outside educational scopes, where technical knowledge is not normally required. Although this was an idea I shared, the more I think of it the more I think it is not feasible, for these reasons:

• It is difficult to abstract different scenarios and find out common grounds (e.g. does every school require SAMBA for file sharing? Why not basing file sharing on NFS, if the clients are only GNU/Linux machines? Domain controller mode is mandatory? Proxying? DHCP?);
  • Technologies and goals may vary (I just need an e-learning platform vs. I need a full-fledged server);
  • (Minor, but anyways to be considered) This effort will potentially render useless professional advices and implementations from IT experts that may be contacted (and payed for) to configure the server solution. But this may be also a huge plus, depending on your point of view :wink:

Let me know your opinions.

Regarding the 19th May, I would do everything possible to attend at 19.00 CEST, but this is quite an unfortunate hour for me (possible scenarios includes driving the car, dining at home or being working indeed). May I propose an intermediate 20.00 CEST? @robb will surely hate me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I understand where you are heading at @syntaxerrormmm. But wouldn’t it be more flexible to have a list with educational applications that 1-click-install them separately rather than have a 1-click-install to have them all together? In the end the 1-click-install-them-all would be a sequential script that will install them one by one too. If you decide not to have Moodle or not to have Joomla, this should be an option.
IMO a better way would be to have a choice from all available packages and section them in different functionality. One of those functionalities would be educational services. In this section I would put Moodle, Chamilo, Xerte, OpenSankoré etc…
Having a pre populated Samba tree (especially when NS7 comes out with Samba4) would be a real plus. Again, have a look at Linuxschools.com It comes with a very neat pre-populated Samba4 module. We could copy that if we think that is useful.
I think Samba4 will be a gamechanger. And together with kerberos, both Windows and Linux clients will be supported 100%.
If 1 hour later would fit for @apradoc I can make time at 20.00h CEST.

1 Like

Hi Emiliano. Nice to read you! :grin:

Reflecting with your experience and knowing the suggestion @Robb give them reason to both. It’s more important to us than the tutor, responsible for the intranet, learn server technology with Nethserver, and be sure to spread the knowledge gained. Convinced to recommend and prefer Nethserver instead of any other similar software distribution. To achieve this we must:

Excellent support, excellent community and excellent knowledge base
… In fact, are the reasons that keeps me here.

So I would consider that our efforts can be directed to increase our general knowledge. Ever since our forum be born new alternatives and models templates: For schools, for Plex, for backup, etc. We must sow the free knowledge to reap the fruits of collective wisdom in our online documentation and our wiki.

This is our case. In Venezuela, absolutely all school servers, school intranet, the laptops and tablets of the Canaima Education Project (+4.000.000 between both units) comprising our educational technology platform must be based on Software 100% free and open. In this sense our Nethserver for Schools - based on free software - be simplified. But it would be contrary to the principle of free knowledge and interoperability limit access to the server to any user that comes with a computer with proprietary operating system. In the end, do not use free software … is a free choice option.

This is an excellent feature to consider and include. LinuxSchool rescued me from some battles.

With my Debianita people I tell them that in our tribe we are accompanied by the LinuxSchool developer, “the first school intranet in GNU/Linux”, as well as other projects school intranet based NS. Then the silence is present to give way to the attention of something interesting.

Don’t worry be hippie! I can resolve at that time.

Regards

1 Like

Great… then i reschedule the blab meeting 1hour earlier to 18.00h UTC / 20.00 cest / 14.00 venezuela time

Lol at troll station (antarctica) :joy:

2 Likes

I think we need to setup a page with all our future events/meetings and links to subscribe/participate
Or let blab do it by itself like this: https://blab.im/CMX

Yes, for sure, and I much more like your approach than the one I proposed. As stated by @apradoc, this means also to provide good and updated documentation for each package.

That’s also a good advice. Do you think NethServer developer would introduce an “Education” section between the choices within the web interface?

So it seems we agreed on 19th May, 20.00 CEST.

Thank you guys, let’s see/talk to each other soon :wink:

1 Like

I will put that up as a feature request. We will probably talk about that next thursday… :slight_smile:

https://blab.im/rob-bosch-nethserver-education-team soon :slight_smile:

Ehi @robb @apradoc @syntaxerrormmm are you meeting up?

Yup, I’m right there :slight_smile:

Yep… waiting :bulb: Light!.. :movie_camera: Camera! … :clapper: ACTION!!