How to get help on the NethServer Community!

So I thought I would make this light-hearted post about how get help on the community :slight_smile:

A Community is About Mutual Relations

This means that people help you, so that you help them. You share your newly gained knowledge, so others can benefit. You get help, and then you help others by replying to their topics.

It Always Pays to be Polite

People will want to help you more if you are polite, with no swearing or hate speech. We all get annoyed from time to time, and some get annoyed more than others. We understand that the product you’re using isn’t working as you expected, but screaming, shouting and swearing about it won’t help. Be polite, and help will come.

Always Pack as Much Information in as Possible

Often I am trying to help others, and there is just not enough info posted for me to help them well. This slows down the support they can get, which makes them further annoyed. To solve this issue post as much info as you possibly can:

• Any error messages
  • A description of what is happening
  • What have you tried to do to fix it
  • What happened when you tried to fix it
  • Oh, a screenshot or a log always helps :wink:
  • Don’t Post Personal Info

Post in the correct section!

I am forever moving posts over to the correct sections. Please - post in the correct section to begin with. If you need help, post in the Support Category You will get a quicker response if you post in the right section :wink:

Post in the Correct Thread

Most common issues already have a thread, but people don’t seem to be able to see them.

Post in the correct format

Post a screenshot if the problem regards only theWebUI
If the problem regards log or shell commands, please use always plain text with the correct format tag on the toolbar

Please remember that your picture can be very small on a smartphone/tablet monitor and that images’ content (meaning with it the text part, error messages etc) will be not indexed and so will not be searchable

Give Likes!

Like is like a pat on the back. Everyone gets a nice feeling when they gain a like. Please like regularly - they cost nothing and mean everything :wink:

A fair amount of this copy was plagiarised from a post by Liam

9 Likes

on the SPOTIFY community?

cut & paste is E V I L

1 Like

ahah you got me, thanks. I plagiarised a great community legend, hope he don’t blame me :smile:

2 Likes

@zamboni do you have any suggestions to add?

1 Like

nothing to add/edit/modify, sir :wink:

1 Like

:thumbsup:

1 Like

I didn’t pay a cent for NethServer!

1 Like

It’s a joke, but you’re right. I try to explain better

1 Like

Please, @all

when you’re in trouble, try not to post a screenshot if not strictly necessary…
please remember that your picture can be very small on a smartphone/tablet monitor
please remember that images’ content (meaning with it the text part, error messages etc) will be not indexed and so will not be searchable

moreover, if someone want to try to replicate your steps to reproduce the problem and debug it, copying commands from an image is a PITA.

so, please, post always plain text, using the correct formatting tag

4 Likes

Just added, thanks for your helpful advice!

2 posts were split to a new topic: NethServer issues hosting a domain