How to create E-Mail Group

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: POP 3 connector

Hello there,
I hope you are all well besides Corona and those circumstances around it.

So, I finally made it. I kicked mit Exhange online Accs and switched to NS. Not because I think It was unsecure, but how MS handled the Exchange gap left me speechless. So I decided to go away.

My setup right now is a DC (Server 2016 with installed essentials role), one applikation server for our ERP system which is only WIN ready and finally one NS as part of the domain, but no DC itself.
All three run in VM´s under HyperV 2016. Everything works like a charm so far.

I have to admit I use the POP 3 Connector. Old habits die hard. Anyway, besides the personal email accounts everyone has we have one who should get received by a couple of people, not only one.

Can I somehow “teach” the connector to receive the mails and give them to 3 users instead of one ?
Haven´t found out so far how to do it.

Can someone give me a hint how to do it ?

Thanks in advance. BTW, NS is a great piece of software :-).

Thomas

You’re right, from the UI it’s only possible to set one user as a destination.

Here’s a howto addressing your issue, please test in a safe environment like a test VM first:

I recommend to use the mail server instead of the pop3 connector if possible. The mail server already has email groups.

@tschmitz
@mrmarkuz

Hi

In this use case, it’s simpler, and less intrusive this way:

Create a mail user for each “group”, eg:

• mg_sales@domain.tld
  • mg_support@domain.tld
  • mg_management@domain.tld

For each of these accounts (No user ever logs in, these accounts serve only the purpose of easy distribution…), create mail forwarding:

(Image from Cockpit -> E-Mail -> Settings -> Mailboxes…

Advantages: No none GUI manipulation needed, the distributer mailboxes stay empty.
And can easily be assigned as reciepient by the POP3 connector…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

@mrmarkuz

Thx for your advice. I am not so settled in Linux that I would edit some files, let alone make some templates. I know that the “cleanest” would be to set the e-mail server directly. That will be the next step. I also plan together with a “direct” e-mail server to replace the SVR 2016 DC with NS. Right now I just wanted ot get rid of Exchange.

@Andy_Wismer

Your advice is more my style. I am more of a click guy cough cough.I tried to set it up. I have enough MS client CAL´s for setting up a placeholder account.
I did as you mentioned but the emails won´t get forwarded. Dunno why right now. I think I will choose a poor soul which has to receive those mails and forward by hand as long as I dont have setup a “real” e-mail server.

I am not an IT-guy so I try to go the for me easiest way. I run my own business with a crush for linux.

But thanks to both of you for your advice.

Regards
Thomas

2 Likes

@tschmitz

Hi Thomas

Internal mails should work, but a correct domain must be set.
Internal mails (forwarding) WILL work even if using a pseudo domain like .local or .lan.
You would need to forward the mails using internal mail alisaes, like:

• user1@nethserver.local
  • user2@nethserver.local
  • user3@nethserver.local

or whatever you’re using in your case…

I would advise in using a proper, real domainname…

My 2 cents
Andy

@Andy_Wismer

Hi Andy,

I tried again but maybe I am just to dumb or I make a mistake. But no sweat. Since alle our users have Outlook as their primary E-Mail client, they can check several IMAP accounts. So, I guess I will setup the Email Clients of those 3 persons to check the dummy acc also. Our ERP System also has an own email client who can check several IMAP accounts.

I plan right now to get rid of the connector also and set NS as a real email server. Since I have full access to our DNS records and reverse DNS that shouldn´t be too hard.

Next step will be to replace the DC with a new NS domain installation. Need a weekend and the mood for it to take care of that topic. I am a bit lazy in the moment.

But many thanks for your help. I appreciate.

Regards
Thomas

1 Like

@tschmitz

Hi Thomas

No Probs. If you need any help / pointers, just PM me…

My 2 cents
Andy