How I can configure the number of recipients for the mailboxes

NethServer Version: your_version
Module: your_module

Hi
I’m using the nethserver release 7.4.1708 and I need to know How I can configure the number of recipients for the mailboxes in my system? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you so much

León Arbeláez
Colombia

@larbelaez71

Hola Leon!

Welcome to the NethServer Forum / Community!

I don’t quite understand the question:

Do you want to limit the amount of users?
Do you want to limit the amount of space for mail?

Please more Info!

Andy
Switzerland :slight_smile:

Hi Andy

I want to thank you for your soon answer. Actually I want to limit the amount of users which the users in the organization can send emails to diferent recipients internally or externally.

for instanace: 15 recipients or less

Thank you so much

León Arbeláez
Colombia

Hi Leon

I think that would be difficult to achieve…

Both limiting the amount in a single mail would be daunting, but a daily or hourly limit?
I’d say not easily possible…

The only “workaround” I can think of quickly would to create “Internal” Aliases, pointing to external recipients. Then allow ONLY Internal mailing by the users (eg must be on the internal addressbook).

To block off the “wise guys” you’ld also need to limit SMTP / POP3 / IMAP directly on your firewall, forcing users to use your NethServer as mailserver. Only the NethServer has Mail Access to the Internet.

Blocking off external Webmail like gmail would require a bit more…
Like getting all possible names and IPs Gmail (Google) uses, and either “null routing” them (Using DNS to point the name to eg localhost), or to a vhost on your NethServer, with the details from the employee contract about private mails in the company…

A single mail-address could point to something like a mailing list (eg majordomo), which “expands” the mail to a whole list, that would also be circumventing the rules, to put a fine point on it!
Then again, this is not something you can control. Example: an employee sends a mail to support@microsoft.com. Internally & Globally, the mail lands at 100 MS-employees mailboxes…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy

I think that there is a misundertood over the initial question.

What I need is how I can limit the system so that all users from your mailbox can send emails to only 15 recipients each that they want to send an email?

Thank you so much

León

I wasn’t quite sure, but I think this get’s your intention right…

:slight_smile:

Andy

Hi Andy

It is possible but our organization is requiring that to limit que amount because of the spam. Many people are sending many emails abroad and we require to limit the number of recipients.

Thank you so much

León

Hi Leon

I must admit, I can’t think of a reasonable way to do it.
Maybe some of the devs here have an idea?

My two cents
Andy

Hi Andy

We need to know how technically we should proceed in this case to configure in the system a limit of destinataries to send from whatever mailbox to 15 destinataries. The system now is open, it does not have any limit but unfortunatelly we need to limit in order to avoid a spam in the future.

May be with this explanation you can understand better what we need to configure or recommend us any link to search.

Thank you so much.

León

I DO understand what you need, but I have no idea how, if possible, to implement this in NethServer…

Do you mean the limit is per mail? Or a mailbox can only send to 15 destinations the whole time?
Or daily.

Your limit of 15 does not state any time frame…

Andy

Ok Andy

Thank you so much for all.

León

Hi Leon

I just help what I can… :slight_smile:

Andy

NethServer uses postfix so you may use the smtpd_recipient_limit.

In this case you need to create a custom template to add the configuration to /etc/postfix/main.cf permanently:

Create the templates-custom directory:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/postfix/main.cf

Create the file /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/postfix/main.cf/90smtpd_recipient_limit with following content:

#
# 90smtpd_recipient_limit - limit recipients per mail
#
smtpd_recipient_limit = 15

Write the configuration and restart postfix:

signal-event nethserver-mail-server-save

Now it shouldn’t be possible to send mail to more than 15 recipients anymore, no matter which field(To, CC, BCC).

I recommend to update to 7.8.2003.

2 Likes

Hi Markus

I wanna thank you for your efforts to help us. I’m very grateful for your soon answer. I’m going to check this procedure on our Nethserver platform and I will be updating you about the result.

Thank you so much

León Arbeláez

Medellin COL

1 Like