address 2a01:4f8:120:82f8::2/64

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
	bridge-ports none
	bridge-stp off
	bridge-fd 0

i added vmbr0 (ens18) and vmbr1 (ens19) to NethServer vm

now i can access NethServer dashboard

now when i configure ens19 as green and then spin up a new vm with vmbr1 as network
it gets the ip but i dont have internet connection
if i use vmbr0 and configure my vm network manually then i have internet

i also tried using red but then my network dies and cant ping i have to use rescue mode to fix it

can any experts here help me out pls

Thank you

Welcome @AkgunFatih;

Unless you need to use LXC through proxmox and/or bought a barebone server, I would recommend you to directly install Nethserver on your Hetzner instance than use docker to replace the LXC layer.

Since Hetzner already virtualize your instance you will receive poor performance because what you try it like installing proxmox inside proxmox than installing your nethserver inside your proxmox which is inside a proxmox. (But actually they probably use OpenStack).

Already it will be easier for you to manage your nethserver and your “network” than you will also have acceptable performance. On nethserver you will be able to have VM with virtualbox and/or if you prefer KVM it is also possible to install it.

If you still want to keep your scenario than I invite you to read this post first

than ask more questions after :wink:

hetzner virtualize Dedicated servers with openstack ? or do you mean they virtualize the vps ?

i am running Proxmox with some ubuntu server/desktop and a windows 10
and don’t see any performance issues

i have read the post you linked but i dont understand anything

@AkgunFatih

Hi Fatih!

I have setup Proxmox on Hetzner, 3-4 Months ago…

With Hetzner, it depends very much on what you ordered. My client ordered a dedicated server specifically for Proxmox (Hetzner specifically supports Proxmox!), there was NO virtualization inside virtualization!
(1 SSD for OS, 2*3TB HDs as ZFS RAID1 for VMs)

What is specifically a PITA with Hetzner is that if you order additional IPs (As my client did), they are routed behind the Proxmox.

We had 2 IPs in the 80er range, and a whole small subnet in the 170er range. As the 170 had to be routed behind the Proxmox, I was forced to waste an IP for the router (An 80er). I used a virtualized OPNsense as an Internal Firewall (2 Virtual NICs, one on vmbr0, one on vmbr1, our “Internal” network with a 10.x.x.x IP.

With OPNsense and VPN, I was able to configure the other hosts, all working now as expected.

The internal NethServer is running AD, and Zabbix Monitoring…
The whole system is actually quite performant, more than I expected!

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi @Andy_Wismer

So its not possible to use nethserver vm to use as dhcp ?

@AkgunFatih

Hi

Actually it should be possible…
But I never setup a server with DHCP! (Not even with reserved DHCP IPs! I prefer a fixed IP, and if the configuration is somehow lost, then it uses DHCP with the same IP address. I use this setup a lot for network printers.)
I always use fixed IPs for Servers, weather they are running for real or virtualized, even if the only reason is one failure zone less.
(The servers will work and be accessible even if DHCP is down.)

I used internal IPs for the VMs, but forwarded Ports or 1:1 NAT for the VMs needing external access.

In the case of the Hetzner Proxmox, the OPNsense firewall (Also free as NethServer) did have a small DHCP pool (10.0.0.241-254). This was to keep the DHCP pool small, but the range of usable IPs big, for fixed or reserved IP installations.

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Faith,

I am sorry, I have to revise my answer (thank you, Andy, for help and clarification):
My Proxmox is running at home on my private hardware - thus my answer does not fit your question. I am sorry for confusion I might have caused.

Best regards & success and good luck
Thorsten

Deleted - sorry does not fit to your question.

Deleted - sorry, answer does not fit your question

VPS would be under a hypervisor such as OpenStack
if you have a dedicated server it would be a barebone (real/physical) server.

Mainly with proxmox, such as any machine/server, the hard drive I/O will be/is your main limitation.
more VM you will have, more you divide the I/O of these hard drive, which is why it is important to have RAID or ZFS technology to split the workload through multiple drives.

• An reasonable I/O for a VM is around 10MB/s. (you could test with dd)

yes it is possible but it would be behind a virtual network only accessible for your proxmox, if you run DHCP service to the Hetzner network they will not like this, and will suspend your machine or even your account.

so in your proxmox you have to create a vmbr1 without any physical card attached to it than use this network as the green card in your nethserver to broadcast your DHCP service.

2 Likes

@AkgunFatih On the Proxmox forum you could have more explanation
your setup seams to be one IP / one network interface
the difference of what you asking is one VM manage the interface, then all your VM/Container are under a virtual network (inside your proxmox which will be design by vmbr1)

Also, to have better performance of your one network internet you could dedicated / passthrough it directly to the VM (pfsense,nethserver,opnsense) in my case is this ethernet

you could find more info here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

2 Likes

Should work with: Nested Virtualization

@fausp

Hi

Nested Virtualization does work, but the question was not about nested virtualization…
Hetzner does offer hardware servers specifically for Proxmox - this does NOT use nested virtualization!
This depends, if the user ordered such a server, or just a plain “root” server. These are almost always virtualized.

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like