GUI doesn't seem that stable... Or sleeps?

So I experiment with the pre-made Rocky image, all updates.
It is a VM in my UNRAID, along with a couple other VMs (including NS7 that is my “production” server still) and containers.
My NS8 install is clean and is in “pre-migration” state.
In other words, I have run the migration wizard in (my very stable for years) NS7 and synced a few times, but didn’t actually finish the migration (probably will not before smarthost is implemented - I cannot do otherwise), so no real heavy services are running.
Also I have dnf-automatic in NS8 VM.

…so the GUI was just standing there the last few days.

Today I just went through my browser tabs, one of the NS8 GUI… Where I got a very nice “wait circle” going on for 2-3 minutes? (ctrl-refreshed the page too)
After those 2-3 minutes of plain gray page with rotating circle I got the four cluster status boxes, empty, with still more wait circle for like 1+ more minute.
Then I got the GUI fully loaded.

Remember this is a 6 core/12 thread machine with 32GB RAM and under rather low utilization (as physical machine, but also the VM has enough resources reserved). Never had such a delay before or anything near that in my other VM, NS7 or whatever.

Is it the way the new system works? Is there debug code slowing things? Something else?

Exactly the pre made VMs are the issue.

Install fresh a VM from Debian, Rocky and it will not have these issues.
The pre mady VMs were not built with the needed care. Not the greatest prio for devs.

They will improve, but if you want to test, install the VM yourself, don’t be lazy and build your network from a crappy version that’s not 1st priority…

My 2 cents
Andy

Weird I expected the exact opposite.
That the pre-made are made “as they should” eliminating the risk of user doing something stupid.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Hi @NLS

See this nice confirmation, at the end…

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy