Gitea A painless self-hosted Git service

Some brainstorming:

• lengthy timeout: OK for most cases, unless on very very slow server.
  • monitor database threads/transactions: difficult, impractical (if even possible).
  • mysqlshow (or alike) loop until tables available: OK on most cases;
    • case: unlikely to happen on first setup, but is it possible that all tables are created but there are pending transactions (many or big INSERTs, UPDATEs) when the process is killed?
  • monitor creation of some file or content of a log: don’t know order of gitea events
  • monitor output of gitea web command or connection status to localhost:3000 (see below): OK, if assumption is correct, until upstream changes command behaviour:

$ GITEA_WORK_DIR=‘/var/lib/nethserver/gitea’ /usr/bin/gitea web --config /etc/gitea/app.ini
2018/08/26 10:22:37 [T] AppPath: /usr/bin/gitea
2018/08/26 10:22:37 [T] AppWorkPath: /var/lib/nethserver/gitea
2018/08/26 10:22:37 [T] Custom path: /var/lib/nethserver/gitea/custom
2018/08/26 10:22:37 [T] Log path: /var/log/gitea/
2018/08/26 10:22:40 Serving [::]:3000 with pid 4204
[Macaron] 2018-08-26 10:22:43: Started GET / for 127.0.0.1
[Macaron] 2018-08-26 10:22:43: Completed GET / 200 OK in 921.834µs

I think the database has been fully populated either when gitea shows the remarked line or when localhost:3000 accepts connections (tried with curl, hence the last two lines).

If the output of the command can be piped or redirected to your script (or curl OK response), I think it can help…

# su gitea -c "GITEA_WORK_DIR='/var/lib/nethserver/gitea' /usr/bin/gitea web --config /etc/gitea/app.ini" >1
2018/08/26 10:21:47 Serving [::]:3000 with pid 4088
^C
Session terminated, killing shell...2018/08/26 10:21:51 Exiting pid 4088.
 ...killed.
1 Like

Thanx, did not think about waiting until the the web interface is responsive!
Think this is the most promising method to pursiut first!

1. worked after some rework (should have known better: use abs paths in bash-script!) :grinning:

It took a while to realize the local repository entry in /etc/yum.repos.d/ is set to disabled during the recovery event. To be able to simulate a full test hacked the settings a bit by exchanging my local settings in NethFrog.repo.
A simple workaround for the above is simply installing nethserver-gitea before issuing the restore-data on the command-line.

Thanx this was indeed a clever way to go and is implemented!

cc/ @danb35

1 Like

Just tested this one, and this is the result on login:

Specifics:

[root@neth-test ~]# rpm -qa | grep gitea
gitea-1.5.0-1.ns7.x86_64
nethserver-gitea-0.0.5-3.ns7.noarch

…built from your unmodified .spec files.

Procedure:

• Start with clean Neth 7.5 install (off the ISO).
  • scp the above two RPMs to the machine, then yum install *.rpm.
  • Log back in to server-manager (required since IP changed after restoring configuration), install updates through software center.
  • Reboot since kernel was updated.
  • restore-data
  • Reboot again just to be on the safe side.
  • Browse to neth-test/git and log in as a user. Get the message above.

gitea.log shows:

[root@neth-test gitea]# cat gitea.log 
2018/08/30 21:41:54 [...itea/routers/init.go:60 GlobalInit()] [E] Failed to initialize ORM engine: dial tcp 127.0.0.1:3306: getsockopt: connection refused
2018/08/30 21:41:56 [...itea/routers/init.go:64 GlobalInit()] [E] Failed to initialize OAuth2 support: dial tcp 127.0.0.1:3306: getsockopt: connection refused
2018/08/30 21:41:58 [...itea/routers/init.go:60 GlobalInit()] [E] Failed to initialize ORM engine: dial tcp 127.0.0.1:3306: getsockopt: connection refused
2018/08/30 21:43:48 [...routers/user/auth.go:162 SignInPost()] [E] UserSignIn: User not known to the underlying authentication module

Thanks for reporting, will try to reproduce.

First glimpse looking at the log you supplied: there are issues with (accessing) the database.

If you still have this testing machine could you check if the mysql password match ?

cat /var/lib/nethserver/secrets/gitea
cat /etc/gitea/app.ini | grep PASSWD

The later this gives a few entry’s for “PASSWD” one of then should match the hash from the first command, or just look in /etc/gitea/app.ini at the [database] section.

( obvious no need to share the password)

If they do not match signal-event nethserver-gitea-update may correct this…

Followed this to the letter (on x86_64) and all good for me :thinking:

They match. And now, without changing anything, the login works and the repos are there. This might call for a little more testing.

1 Like

This must either be a mystery or you having golden hands… rawrr

2 Likes

I happy at least the data integrity after backup as an extra prove :grinning:
Which IMHO is most important…

It happens…:grin:

After doing a complete round of testing once more , the module and the gitea package it self are almost in alpha state.
Two todo’s after this i’d like a (code) review; process the remarks, if possible - and request to push it to NethForg testing…

Still need to do my “favorite” part, write some documentation. - and-

Choose a port, default upstream is port 3000. A bit of i-net searching shows it is it busy on this port.

How to choose a appropriate (default) port ?

I’d just take some not used port from a ports db like speedguide but maybe we should create a list of used ports in Nethserver to avoid “port clashes” of different Nethserver modules.

looks like 3013 is not popular. (superstition?)

Good Idea!

Should be usable.

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=3013

1 Like

Being a bit of a number freak, going to settle for 5321

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=bsfsvr-zn-ssl

Thanx for the link to the official site!

1 Like

Still not able to reproduce completely, found suboptimal behavior using this procedure.
Better is to restore the configuration before installing the rpm’s. ie

• Log back in to server-manager (required since IP changed after restoring configuration), install updates through software center.
  • scp the above two RPMs to the machine, then yum install *.rpm .

-OR-

• Upload the backup-config in first config wizard
  • scp the above two RPMs to the machine, then yum install *.rpm .

Reason is simple restore-config restores gitea’s (former) password for mysql, installing gitea creates a (new) password and/or tables for mysql if not exists. This throws throws gitea in a bad state, of which it eventually recovers.

The order of restoring the config and installing the package is good if it is in a repo available during the config-restore event.

1 Like

As a side note, this is a bit of a problem–when you upload the configuration, it reconfigures the network, meaning the connection to the server manager goes away. As a result, you can’t see when the restore/reconfiguration finishes or if there were any errors. I’m not sure if there’s a good way to avoid this, though.

I’ll try again with the modified procedure.

1 Like

Yes, did not think of this. My default setup for servers in my “test lab” have an red interface on dhcp which stays conected during recovery…

Tried again with this variation on the process, and it seems to be working fine–I’m able to log in, the repos are there, I can view files in them, etc. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your report!

Now it’s up to write documentation; which obviously includes changing the password of “gitea”; although (as you probably figured out) there is an other option:
If you have given one of the users admin rights this user can remove the user gitea.

…which brings up something else that can be kind of frustrating–so many of these modules (Nextcloud, WebTop, Rainloop, etc.) have their own unique admin users. Wouldn’t it be more sensible to use the system admin user? Or better yet, anyone in the Domain Admins group? (ideal would probably be that anyone in Domain Admins or appname_admins could do it) That’s a broader issue than Gitea, of course, but it does seem to have some application here.

1 Like