First(s) installs, few observations and help still needed

Hi,

New to Nethserver, I would like to to give to the community few observations about the installation to improve the “user experience”.

First, without any optical drive, I’ ve downloaded the Nethserver-install iso and put the disk image on a usb stick ( with DD )
The USB stick boot well, I was able to proceed the install… But one time I`ve got the message that the cdrom://Ks-ks/config file was missing … :anguished: So, a problem with a Kickstarter script I suppose.
With the cancel option, I proceeded the installation, It was like a installation of a minimal CentOS install, no few and no more.

Second, after configuring all the Nics and proceed the firewall installation and gateway configuration, I wasn’t able to connect anymore to the GUI. It was like there something wrong on the ip conf of the network… :cold_sweat:
I was able to ping the server only, and I was one the “green” side and the the subnetwork.
After few tentatives to connect to the GUI, I went to the server, connect on the tty with root and simply ping something… And all become right. I was able to connect to the GUI and all was perfectly configured. I cant explain whats happen. It was like the action wth the GUI made a change but the change was not well activate by the system.

I come from ClearOS, I must said that ClearOS seem to be more well finished/ polished than NethServer, It’s not surprising because COS is much older than Nethserver.
I already choosed Nethserver because it’s a layer on the top of an CentOS installation and it’s community driven.

At this point, I’m well satisfy with NethServer even it lack few things at this date:

• A PPPoe connection, this one must be done with the CentOS way, with the CLI.
  • A disk manager, when we have to add a disk, or a bunch of disk…or simply to manage the disk space.
  • A support of netatalk, afp and avahi for Mac users :wink:
  • A real state of the FW configuration because I couldn’t see the default conf of the firewall…I’m able to create new rules but without seeing/ knowing exactly what `s already in use in other words without seeing the default rules…

What I`m still to do:
I want to Install one more 1 TB drive and Netatalk/AFP protocols to make a Time Machine Backup.

I will need help to erase the partition on the drive, create a new LVM group and LVM partition.
Mount this new one in a directory /home/timemachinebackup

Unfortunately, install from usb is still unsupported. You need to choose CentOS install at boot menu and then follow NethServer manual “install from centos”.

PPPoE support has been added last week, search this forum for details. Update the system to have the feature.
netatalk support have been discussed in the past, IIRC somebody told that it’s a thing from the past.

I think I understand your concern, but could you please elaborate on how you’d like to see the firewall config.
Something like a set of rules that cannot be deleted?

Optical drive are from the past. :smiley:
Its what I end to do the minimal CentOS install and Nethserver install from CentOS. Its work like a charm.

In the Mac ecosystem, ( unfortunally ?) netatalk Is still present.
But I dont know if I could have AFP and Avahi without Netatalk... Ill go googling.

For the FW rules, I know by the manual that theres rules for the gree>blue>orange>red zones. But on the GUI, Im seeing nothing about this rules…

After googling it’s appaer that OS X support SMB2 protocol for file sharing since Maverick.

But for Time Machine Backup, it’s still need AFP

Is it possible to backup via Nfs, even via Smb… But it’s impossible to restore without AFP ( system recovery )

Hi,

As Nethserver is more comfortable to use other than clearos.

USB stick installation has some issues with kickstarter. But if u want to install nethserver u can install centos minimal installation and install Nethserver-install cmd in centos minimal installation. U are done. It’s easy to use than clearos.

BTW, I spent many hours trying to fix the kickstart issue for usb install without success.
If there’s a kickstart expert here, please step in. :smile:

I tried with installing USB. I guess We have to reconfigure config file will be possible to remove that error. :flushed:

RH/CentOS dropped afp support since rel. 5

if you need such a feature, you need to find someone that can maintain appletalk’s rpms…

or, alternatively, you can find suitable rpms on external repo, install them and configure the services yourself… but in NS perspective, it’s likely to be an unsupported feature

Try this:

[Set Up a USB key][1]
[ISO to USB for CentOS][2]

Regards
[1]: HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
[2]: http://iso2usb.sourceforge.net/

Hi guys,

It’s weekend! Maybe something funny after a hard working week?
Some stuff about installing with USB stick, in my experience:

1. My first installation of Zentyal was a mess! I used USB Stick and at the end of the installation I had only Ubuntu basic! A black screen with something written there (my first contact with Linux)! No Zentyal! After couple of days of search on forums, I change the USB bootable software and it worked on my home PC! Wow! I’m good! But, when I tried to install on a dedicated server hardware, after a few steps, the message was that there is no CD in CD drive and the installation can’t continue (or something like this). After many tries and swearing, I have chosen the best, safe and faster solution: THE CD-ROM! (After a while I have tried again with USB Stick and when the message appeared, I just removed the USB and plugged back, pressed Retry and everything went well!)
  2. I was never able to install NS with USB Stick. After I lost many time to try different combinations between installation kit and USB bootable software, I have chosen the best, safe and faster solution: THE CD-ROM!

One of the conclusions (besides my lack of knowledge about Linux):
THE CD-ROM! From the past? Maybe but always works!

Have a nice (working on NS) weekend!

Gabriel

1 Like

I tried with installing USB. I guess We have to reconfigure config file will be possible to remove that error.

I think it`s not the config file but how the system access to the config file ( the access path ).

RH/CentOS dropped afp support since rel. 5

if you need such a feature, you need to find someone that can maintain appletalk’s rpms…

or, alternatively, you can find suitable rpms on external repo,
install them and configure the services yourself… but in NS
perspective, it’s likely to be an unsupported feature

I will do it by myself.
The netatalk instalation on lnux is well documented, like this:
https://www.cultavix.com/apples-time-machine-on-centos-linux/

2 Likes

good luck

USB install DO NOT work.
The way the kickstart works breaks usb install.
I spent time trying to find a way to modifiy the kickstart, with no luck.
There’s no tool that can makee it work, we need to fix the kickstart.
Since the workaround to install centos and then use yum is fast and easy, I think that I prefer spending my efforts on something more useful (hint: stay tuned).

1 Like

I’ll be happy to help. Forward me any question you may have.

Thank for offering your help

I have two system installed from USB! Use UltraISO to make bootable flash.

Try this

PPPoE support has been added last week, search this forum for details. Update the system to have the feature.

In the Software Center, with the system up to to date, i don’t see the package Pppoe in the “available” tab, even when it must show “everything”.

What could happen?

There’s no PPPoE package. Click Network and add an interface.