Avahi as a standalone package in the software center

Hello,

Is it possible to have the avahi package as a standalone package in the software center ?

In the webgui, to install Avahi, we must install CUPS, the printer manager.

We need to create a new package groups, but I donā€™t think it can be useful,
But it will be useful if we will have an implementation for Apple integration :smile:

No, you should say:

But it will be useful when we will have an implementation of Apple integration :smile:

1 Like

One ( or two ) more things.

Take a look at this page to see what benefits avahi can bring to us:
http://avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users

And when the avahi-daemon was setting up, I see two new firewall objects in the firewall rules module, the printer and the time-capsule, the two are wirelessly connected.
It can be a great help to configure the firewall, isn`t it ?

Here a screen shot:

The two objets ā€œLAN Host ā€¦ā€ were self created.

Donā€™t be cruel with this little service that can do great job.

This little Daemon donā€™t merit to be hide by CUPS.

Let Avahi be a standalone package in the Software Center :+1:

1 Like

If we have more people interested in this, I will do the job.

Do you need it for this improve this howto?

Avahi is the fist step to make Nethserver Mac friendly.

When I had tested by the webgui way, installing CUPS too,
All the fist step of the Howto ( installation/configuration of avahi ) was done.

Thereā€™s lot of people who use Nethserver as Firewall/Gateway/Router, and need Avahi to:

• Make all the firewall rules in the easy way.
  • Make connected ressources ( computer, printer, servicesā€¦) discoverables for any machines; Even for a guest smartphone, a guest tablet to sent a file on a webdav ressource or print something.
  • Because any consumer routers have this fonction available, so Nethserver which is lot of more, must have too.

Really, Avahi make things easy and deserve to be a standalone package for the next Nethserver version.

1 Like

I can create a new yum group on NS 7, so avahi will be available from the web interface.
But it will be useless with a correct configuration: we need templates and database properties.
Am I correct, @Jim?

If so, please, create a pull request and I will integrate the modification inside the core package :wink:

A package Nethserver-avahi already exist ( I discover it after my experimentations)

I thing there nothing More to do

1 Like

Maybe we need just a new doc which explains the things you have described above. Would you like to create a new one?

I canā€™t edit my post

One more argumentation to make Avahi a stand alone package :smile:

Edit: where is the Nethserver-avahi package now?
I didnā€™t see it as depensency in the Print Serverā€¦

Honestly, I donā€™t know how much this module would be used, Iā€™d like to hear from others too.
Can I reword the topic as ā€œAvahi as a standalone package to make Nethserver Mac friendlyā€?

Read all the topic newlyā€¦ All has been wrote
Even a Windows client use avahi to discover ressources on the network ( printer, scanners, and shares other than Windows shares)
Even a basic consumer router have Avahiā€¦

And the AVAHI deamon is always a ā€œprint serverā€ slaveā€¦
This lovely deamon not obtain is liberty, is autonomy in the 7 version :persevere: :persevere: