External Samba Server and Nextcloud

NethServer Version: 7.7
Module: Nextcloud smb-client

good morning

somtimes the problem is stitting between the ears …
I think this is one of them

I had a VM as a samba file server (very simple no users) and second VM with Neth 7.7. and Nextcloud/SOGo … including a AD

It is to say greate work.

Now i will take a connect Nextcloud and the samba sever ? What is the best way ?

This time the solution can be mounting the samba sever with samba client and build soft links to the nextcloud storage …

But i had no idea how …

There’s an app in Nextcloud named “External storage support”, here’s an older thread about it but it should still work:

1 Like

Hello Markus thank for helping.

When i loggin as admin ( i chnage the password before i use the Nextcloud first time) the are no apps or I am being to stupid this time …

admin looks like a nomal user …

7.7. is a graete version (without PBX)

Nextcloud has an “internal” admin. The domain admin has no rights in nextcloud.

You need to login with user admin, password Nethesis,1234

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/nextcloud.html#installation

1 Like

thats my fault. I am folowing th instuction to aktivate admin on Nethserver side. So Nextcloud is using this one. I had to deaktivate them in cockpit …

Yes that was the faul aktivat the admin on Nethserver (groups and users) side
Now i can loogin as the Nextcloud admin :slight_smile:

“Ich krieg schon nach einem Tag Lagerkoller …” überigens sind in Deutschland nun dreier verboten :wink:

Hi

I can confirm that this “External Storage” feature of Nextcloud works VERY well.

I am / was migrating their Win2003 SBS to NethServer (Proxmox VM). As a file server, there were about 1 TB in folders to be shared.

NethServer / Nextcloud mounted these “Shares” in NextCloud from the Win2003 SBS, and I just changed the Mount to now point back to the NethServer, the W2003SBS is no more fileserver and has no more shares…

All work very well!

My 2 Cents
Andy

Auch trotz schönes Wetter - oder grad deswegen - Lagerkoller kommt auf… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Andy

nomaly i am not so confused but now i try all mistakes ich can found. I am shure that is working. But i dont find a way to config them (system is very fresh).

As admin: External storag is activ. when i am looking in files

How i find the side to config them ?

Next is Onlyoffice

was looking like its installd but than was back. I try it again

now it looks like this

I am feeling so stupid to day … must be a other virus

Its shure that it works when i found a way to config/install it :frowning: :sleepy:

thx

Hi

Without asking, I can see your problem.

You’re using the wrong admin for NethServer/NextCloud!

See here:
https://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/nethserver-nextcloud.html

On first setup, you need to login to Nextcloud with User admin, PW: Nethesis,1234

Then, activate LDAP. I advise using a group called nextcloud-users, and only allow users of that group - otherwise all system users will also be visible in Nextcloud…

Then, under Users, give admin permission to the NethServer Admin (And maybe other users).
After that, don’t forget to change the NextCloud admin Users Password (And write that down!), even though you’ll most likely never need to use that user again, as all users with admin permissions in Nextcloud are enough.

Then go - as admin - and install and activate “External Storage” under Apps.

Configure “External Storage” under Settings (Einstellungen).
Note: There are “Admin” configured External Storage and Private ones, each has to be activated by the admin. The Private storage is meant for eg the Users home directory.
The rest are typical “Shares” like on any Windows…

See these Screenshots from my home server (NethServer!):

This is what it looks like for the user (under Files in NextCloud):

I usually limit the External Storage for users to SMB… (Only the home directory is needed…).

This instruction should get you started!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hello Andy

the LDAP Interation look like my problem… Did you use AD or LDAP?
The normal Users can i see in Nexcloud (without doing anything)

so i will try more :slight_smile: ist a step more to let it fly

I use AD…

AD users also show up, but nobody except the built in admin(Of Nextcloud, not NethServer) has permissions to really do anything!

You need to use that user for the first real setup of Nextcloud, no matter if LDAP or AD…

LDAP doesn’t allow authenticated shares, only a sort of “public” access for all shares.
That doesn’t cut it for me, I need authenticated access for file sharing.
And NethServer only allows AD for authenticated shares…
But it works very well.

Hello Andy okay Step by step i understand more. I will try more :slight_smile: and report the results

OK, alles Klar!

Toi Toi Toi!

Hallo Andi mir ist noch nicht ganz klar welche User ich aufnehmenn muss bei einem AD :frowning:

Hi

Grundsätzliches:

Nextcloud hat einen internen User, der heisst admin, dies hat aber NICHTS mit dem admin von NethServer zu tun!
Passwort darf nicht gleichgesetzt werden mit dem Nethserver admin, sonst kann man diesen User nicht mehr erreichen, bzw. nicht mehr mit diesem User anmelden.

Dazu kommen:
Beliebige LDAP oder AD User…
Damit nicht ALLE User im Nextcloud erscheinen, steuere ich das mit eine Gruppe, eben “nextcloud-users”. Nur diejenigen User, die auch mitglied dieser Gruppe sind können in NextCloud anmelden, bzw NextCloud überhaupt nutzen.

Typisch:

• Nethserver Admin user
  • sich selber

Hoffe das hilft…
Gruss
Andy

Hallo Andy

Ach so langsam komme ich dahinter. Auf das Admin und Admin Problem bin ich zuerst gestossen. Hab mit einem Snapshot nochmal angefangen.

Derzeit geht es ohne LDAP/AD Einstellungen also alle. Nun versuche ich diese zu verstehen werden. Die normalen User habe ich schon zei gruppen zugeordnet.

Hab auch mit letsencrypt einen Zertifikat für dei Subdomain eingerichtet und die Prorts freigegeben 80+443. Man kann sich intern und extern einloogen. Hab dann Trustet Domain eingetragen und virtual host frei gelassen. Nun ist er aus dem Internet erreichbar.

An einem Winows 10 Clienten läuft schon der Nextcloud Client und hat sich gesycnt.

Sogo ist auch erreichbar. Leider der Nextcloud Admin auch von Extern :frowning:

Hab eine zweite VM mit einem Samba ganz flat ohne User und Passwort mit zwei shares, diese sollen je einer Gruppe zugeordnet werden … Ja nicht schön aber erstmal quick und dirty.

Wenn ich das bei dir Richtig gesehnen habe gibst du eine Gruppe für Nextcloud User geschaffen und diese dann freigegeben. Gilt das dann nur fürs anmelden ?

Oder muss ich für den Admin (Nextcloud) noch was tun damit man an den Externen speicher darf? Wie ist das mit den Mountpoints gemeint ?

Ja schlimm heute mit der Verwirrung … und sie wird nicht besser nun habe ich die beiden gruppen eingestellt und dann von aussen keinen Zugriff mehr, acu wenn ich sie wieder entferne :frowning:

Probiere es und melde mich wieder

Moin,

2FA bringt da zusätzliche Sicherheit.

2FA brings additional security.

Regards

Uwe

2FA zwei Faktor autentifikation ?

Hi

Ich versuche auf deine 2 Fragen eine Antwort zu geben:

Gruppe ( nextcloud-users ) dient nur dazu, dass nicht alle User in Nextclous erscheinen. Ich verwende einige “System- / Dienst-User”, die will ich nicht in Nextcloud angezeigt bekommen…

Admin / Externe Storage einbinden…

Das Einbinden von Externer Storage kann nur jemand mit admin Rechte freigeben. Ich benutze AD, und verwende den LDAP Tool in Nextcloud, meinen Zugriff (Wie im Bild oben) auf die Gruppe nextcloud-users einzuschränken.

Zusätzlich gibt der Admin die Externe Storage als Share frei, ich verwende die gleichen Namen wie der original Freigabe. Der Screenshot oben sollte helfen, was wo einzugeben ist.

Ganz am Schluss des freigebens, unbedingt prüfen mit dem Häkchen rechts.
Wenn links grün zeigen sollte, ist’s gut!

Andy

PS:
Sorry for using not using english, but it’s to clarify things specifically for this use… :slight_smile:

Hello Andy

most of my mistakes are sitting between my ony ears :frowning:
but now the Nextcloud ist running and externl storage to :slight_smile:

Whats wrong i am installing Onlyoffice and that was brocken. For that moment Nextcloud was not running fine. Then i moving back to the last snapshot (XCP-NG) and dothe same work again. Without Onlyoffice…

The fresh Nextcloud was running fine. Login was possible with Email and User. Than i follow Andy instruction. Using the LDAP/AD to change the rigths and use a Groups in persons to let that members of the Groups using Nextcloud.

What i am not understand was, this moment changing the kind of Login to. I am trying Email but LDAP/AD says only User … But by myselfs i dint changing nothing … So default is not default. That was lill bit craesy.

Next was im using the wrong External Storage entry (Nexclout Web) and looking in Files but that was wrong …

:slight_smile: thx for your support and help

I like build a How to for using Nethserver 7.7 as a VM in XCP-NG with XCP-Center.

:slight_smile: best wishes Axel

1 Like

Welcome & take Care (Corona…)

:slight_smile: