Email Public Junk Folder

For our webmail users, they each have their own Junk folder.
By default there was a Shared Junk mailbox.
I am just wondering what the difference is as far as Spam learning. If the users moves their spam into their personal junk folder, does the spam system ‘learn’? What is the difference with the shared Junk folder, or should they be moving spam there to ‘learn’. If there is no difference, can I safely delete the shared Junk mailbox.

2 Likes

Yes, please delete it because it should not be there! It’s a bug :wink:

1 Like

I just tried, and it does not let me.
from Management->Shared mailboxes, Actions->Delete, and the spinning timer comes up, then nothing happens. There are viewers logged into their webmail using WebTop, is that why?

I’ve seen that “Junk” shared mailbox in the past, but never investigated its origin. You can ignore it safely, but I agree it’s ugly and should not appear…

Card added (soon-to-become an issue):

https://github.com/orgs/NethServer/projects/1#card-2564065

And confusing for the users, as they are unsure to move Junk to there or not. They don’t have permission by default, so it is not a major issue.
I also cannot rename the Shared ‘Junk’ folder. If I try to rename, it gives me a red box at top with the triangle !, and says ‘Owner groups’ (link) and ’ Not a collection’ below it.

It can be removed. The path should be

/var/lib/nethserver/vmail/vmail/Maildir/.Junk
1 Like

Ok, thanks. I just deleted it with CLI.

So, the Public Junk folder is back today.
I deleted the /var/lib/nethserver/vmail/vmail/Maildir/.Junk using the CLI yesterday, and it was gone from WebTop, but this morning it is back. Looks like the folder was recreated at 3:12am.

2 Likes

The Junk (or junkmail - on ns6 upgraded systems) appears when the daily nethserver-mail-spam-expunge job runs.

Filed a bug here

4 posts were split to a new topic: Email Junk public folder is back