Does NethServer 8 meet our needs?

:face_vomiting:

I’ll admit I haven’t looked at it in a while–when the docs called for manually editing database tables as part of the installation, I dismissed it as a half-baked product. And the UI is (or was) just ugly.

1 Like

The UI is going to be super friendly and modern :slight_smile: trust me
And it’s an open-source fully featured webmail but you’re free to choose something else

1 Like

Many thanks everybody for the somewhat overwhelming replies!

Just to be clear: we need to migrate in full. We have two (2) more months before our current rental-agreements for the server (ClearBOX) and remote-backup-space run out.
And we’re just two (2) people, running a live music booking agency. We currently only use webmail (Kopano’s WebApp), both in the office and from remote locations. Works for us.
We also prefer to avoid having to use our mobile devices. So we stick to desktop-computers, and landline VoIP.

Alessio’s predictions about WebTop and NethSecurity sound promising.

I’ve read all reactions here and have a few remaining questions regarding NS8, if installed on our own server (on-premise):

• what apps are available via NethServer’s App Store? Is there an overview I can check? Is NextCloud one of these apps, and is it available for free within this scope? And ejabberd? (I have never heard of ejabberd before, but made a note since Martin mentioned it here above, to check out what it does). Curious to see the overview
  • which email-groupware apps that can be used on NethServer show ONE folder-tree including emails, calendars, and contacts, in one overview?
  • which email-groupware apps that can be used on NethServer allow for remote access?
  • which email-groupware apps that can be used on NethServer allow for mass-export of contacts, in one go? With Kopano’s WebApp we’re used to a command-line-procedure (contact2csv), so it must not necessarily be an easy procedure within the app itself
  • which email-groupware apps that can be used on NethServer allow us to add Custom Categories/Labels to each Contact Card? And make a selection on those Categories/Labels?
  • any hi-res screenshots available for those email-groupware apps? For WebTop maybe?
  • is Ubuntu Server indeed not supported/recommended?
  • is there a possibility via NethServer to get cloud-space for Remote Data Backup?
  • are there any Italian live-music-business-people who use NethServer?
  • I’m still keen to hear if there is a vegetarian (!) option for the ‘fiorentina’ support subscription :wink:
3 Likes

Welcome aboard!

You can check the list from Applications section and Nethforge applications section from NS8 documentation. Other (unofficial) apps are in the works.

Nextcloud. Yes to both.

Ejabberd is also available.

Not officially supported. I don’t know if NS8 can work on it or not (debian based but from some time on forcing snaps). The only distro with paid support from Nethesis (the company behind NethServer/NS8) is Rocky Linux 9.
But NS8 can be installed also on:

• CentOS Stream 9
  • AlmaLinux 9
  • Debian 12
  • Upload of cluster backup (Enterprise only)

Not sure about backup for >=100GB of data. Someone from Nethesis are in a better position to provide an answer.

Other than that, backups can be configured with compatible providers (Backblaze, S3, etc.)
If you plan to install NS8 on Proxmox or the likes, they provide other/additional backup options.

Some screenshots from webtop on the documentation.

2 Likes

There is a chat/collaboration module called “Mattermost”.
In the “enterprise” version of Nethserver it’s installable, I think it’s also available for the Community version.

Nethserver provides IMAP, POP3, SMTP, CalDAV, CardDAV and Z-Push (ActiveSync open source implementation) protocols.
You can use any app that supports these protocols.
On Apple/iOS they are all supported natively.
On Android for CalDAV and CardDAV protocols you have to use a special app. “DavX5” is recommended.
For activity synchronization on Android the only app I found that works via Z-Push/ActiveSync is “Task & Notes” which supports activity synchronization natively via Z-Push/ActiveSync.

In the Enterprise version of Webtop there is a separately purchasable module that allows management/synchronization with Mailchimp.
I don’t know if it’s purchasable in the “community” versions with support. (@alefattorini)

Webtop has its own custom label management. They’re not synchable with the various apps, but that’s a request made a while ago…

2 Likes