Diskspace extension and mounting ISCSI locations

I would really like to have a dashboard feature were you could easily mount iSCSI disk and or local disks so you are able to extend your partitions if needed for example if you need more diskspace on your file locations. Would be wonderful if you could move home folders and file locations for users on the fly to remote location like iSCSI mounted disks or when migrating to a standalone file server etc.

1 Like

my 2c: such kind of feature should not be part of the web interface…

some tasks must be done from CLI by people that know what they are doing…

1 Like

iscsi as a backup target was evaluated some moths ago on the mailing list. A link to the thread is here:
http://dev.nethserver.org/issues/3032

As for complex file operations, I agree with @zamboni
But maybe we could find another scenario where iscsi usage is limited and offer a configuration interface that both easy and safe.

[quote=“zamboni, post:2, topic:932”]
some tasks must be done from CLI by people that know what they are doing…
[/quot

I both agree and disagree. My 2 C: If there are tasks you don’t do often but they are important and have to be done fast then you should simplify them even if you know what you are doing. Especially if you want to achieve the same result every time from the job then it’s perfect to have done trough the dashboard.

CLI for me is for advanced stuff when the option is not defined in the gui. So the dashboard feature doesn’t rule out the CLI for the same task in my opinion or vice versa.

Yes, that’s what I meant.
Define a complex task and automate it with an interface. But do not try to build a generic interface that tries to do anything and could lead to errors and broken systems.

3 Likes

I didn’t see your answer when I posted mine :wink: but I completely agree with you.

Whilst I agree that for most sysadmin a full / generic interface can lead to many problems / issues. I have found that a lot of extra admin tasks (such as mounting other storage devices) via a web UI can be achieved using the Webmin project.

Caveat: Whilst Webmin can be installed alongside of NS, it can overwrite various existing configuration files (and possible damage the servers existing configuration). Webmin has a good access control (ACL) function (that can restrict access to the various modules / functions) and if used correctly, can work well with NS.

Alternative any experienced sysadmin should be able to navigate and configure the system via a terminal (as mentioned above) and manually change files such as fstab or create bash scripts to automate administration tasks.

Can you explain this better?

We’re discussing these arguments here:

Should i move this posts there?

Sure, would make more sense if this post is moved / copied in to the above thread.

Please, could you and @malvank copy/paste your thoughts about interface complexity directly on the above thread?

Will do!