Disaster recovery attempts keep failing

Yes it is.
You should simply set enabled=1 under [nethserver-testing] section.

Take your time, there is no rush: in the meanwhile we are testing the fix internally :wink:

2 Likes

@davidep @giacomo I failed again attempting to restore the dc vm. Iā€™ll leave the machine running if you have any log searches youā€™d like me to run from the console, thatā€™s all thatā€™s availableā€¦ sshd is dead. You can see from the yum log that both the packages in testing are installed.

1 Like

Thanks form reporting it. I hit the same problem today, and this confirm my thoughts. Iā€™ll work on this tomorrow!

It could be a firewall cfg issue. Run

shorewall stop
1 Like

Yes, youā€™re correct, sshd was not dead, stopping shorewall gave me access with putty from another machine.

2 Likes

@davidep
fyi, I just got an email from this server that a backup completedā€¦ so I logged into the web guiā€¦ successfully, though the domain, users, etc, are broken, some modules were restored like nextcloud, others not like the php sclā€¦ maybe that repo wasnā€™t restored, perhaps killing shorewall gave access to the admin-httpd. That also means I have to remember to get a good backup before I try another restore test.

A new set of RPMs is ready for testing! /cc @quality_team

Two issues should now be fixed

• Avoid applying a bad firewall configuration to prevent the admin from locking himself out
  • Backup/Restore the Samba secrets.tdb correctly

Note that to restore the configuration, the backup must be fixed, too! In other words, existing cfg backups are incomplete in systems where nethserver-samba is not installed. The complete procedure is

1. install testing packages
  2. run backup config

Then in another system

1. install testing packages
  2. run restore config
    3 ā€¦

To update from testing run

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update

Weā€™re fixing another bug affecting restore-config when network cards are different. @giacomo is investigating it! FIXED See NethServer/nethserver-base#75

1 Like

Just to clarity, I have a populated snapshot, itā€™s an ad, with nextcloud, etcā€¦ therefore, I do not need to install testing packages into that before a backupā€¦ correct?

You need the fix before backup-config if nethserver-samba is not installed.

Seeā€¦ this was bothering meā€¦ now I know why, Iā€™m not entirely stupidā€¦ just slowā€¦ I was thinking that ad dc was sambaā€¦ but itā€™s nethserver-dc, and since I donā€™t have file server installed in that vm, nethserver-samba is not installed.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Restore of shared folder failed

The bug is finally closed, maybe we will find some corner case in the future, but for now everything seem to work as expected.

To fix the issue we had to update 6 packages!

I would really say my thank you to @fasttech for this hunt and the hard (and boring testing)!
Big thank you also to @filippo_carletti for testing in a complex scenario, and of course thank you to @davidep who found a fix and implemented the working code!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.