NethServer Support Program Feedback

Yes, I remember it, but we must also look at others to learn
I was in doubt whether to post or not this comment related to another open source project …

https://xenserver.org/blog/entry/xenserver-7-3-changes-to-the-free-edition.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/7l7qkq/xenserver_73_changes_to_the_free_edition/
and many others…

it is not my intention to criticize the choices of others, nor to speak here of xenserver. But I think it is useful to learn and maybe not make the same mistakes (?)
from the many comments on the net, some of them are interesting to remember (even if they can seem obvious):

• a clear licensing path (xenserver has changed it several times over the last 10 years)
  • never go back (ie do not remove features from the basic version to add them to the paid version)

great! keep us updated. Let us know if we can help in test the automatic testing :grin:

1 Like

Do you think the current thoughts head into dangerous territory ? As I read it, the payed version will ONLY give the following benefits:

1. guaranteed reaction time to x support tickets and optional remote support, for nethserver specific questions, issues or problems only (both)
  2. delayed updates to prevent fubars from upstream to reach production environments

That means, to my understanding, that no bugs from packages will be elligible for support, nor any configuration challenges for these packages, unless it is created/implemented by Nethserver to begin with (NetGui for instance) or has to do with how to transform a certain config to an e-smith compatible version.

The only added value for the person taking this support contract, is being able to point at it during an audit, having updates slightly delayed, and having a busines-compatible way of supporting the project.

2 Likes

Great points. I guess we need a new topic on that. What do you think? Writing down some good rules and stick with them

Do you mean the the “support program”? Yes you understood very well. These are the benefits and there’s no “payed” version. Support program is offered on NethServer community :slight_smile:

Conversely, Partner program subscribers can access to the NethServer Enterprise version that offers just a few additional packages.

2 Likes

There’s no unsupported version. As I said, Nethesis is offering support on the NethServer Community :wink: (without community repos) is it clearer now?

NethServer Subscription Program or NethServer Support Program? What do you prefer?
I’m receiving the first requests :slight_smile: thanks for that! Looks like it works.
I will publish and promote it as soon as possible.

I’d like also to collect another feedback. In order to:

• let NethServer people know that a subscription plan exists. Just a few people read this community and our blog/newsletter
  • let know NethServer people that there is a professional support
  • make the subscription process as simple as possible. Just a click and nothing else.
  • correctly identify the installation to subscribe

We might have to add a new package and a new panel on all the community installations.
It might contain just a static page that shows the plans and a button to subscribe.
Clicking on the button you are simply redirected to a portal where complete the registration. You can safely ignore it and It should look like a “donate” button,

What do you think about that? I’d like to know your thoughts.
I will show a POF once I have something ready

1 Like

I would prefer Support Program, Subscription sounds a little bit like paying for getting software.

Yes you can do it this way. I think a menue button support and a site like you said with infos about the supportprograms like prices and content and the button would be nice.

I know it’s late, but what do you think about a onetime support. If somebody needs help one time you could say x € for helping him once without any subscription.

2 Likes

You mean some kind of consultancy paid per hours?

Good point.

Yes, per hours or an all-inclusive price

1 Like

I have just polished this post removing the partner + distributor part. Sounds like it confuses many people.
Volume discounts are easier to grasp at this stage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would implement a banner (not popup!!!) like we get when there is an sssd error during install, but on the dashboard about this installation being unsupported and a link to the webpage where you can fix that, and the assurance that you miss out on nothing but run more risk.

Subscription should probably be much like that of proxmox, where it would require reverse engineering to change a machine ID. Make it optional but not easily ‘hackable’ pls (retain it’s value)

… will now read other responses and perhaps alter this one :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you sure? Looks like a bit intrusive. Wha about a box on the dashboard that shows that you can subscribe your installation and keeps track of the active subscription?

1 Like

For a production server, I would want to be made actively aware that I am using upstream updates. It would serve that purpose, and yeah … be a bit intrusive … have some cash :wink:

I mean, it’s not like you work Google ads into the server manager … it’s a fair warning and a good price for free software that is used as a server. Make it snooze able for a year or so.

The upstream warning is already implemented with 7.4 release AFAIK.
Please don’t do it like proxmox with popup, it’s really intrusive. And in my definition an intrusive have to click away popup makes the Community version without Support program worse and one of the rules was that the Community without program has to keep its level.
I think a dashboard box showing what’s going on without disturbing is a good compromise.

3 Likes

I specifically said no popup. When we get errors in the gui, they can be ignored or clicked away if we find them irritating.nthey block nothing, they are just visually different then an infobox from the dashboard, and signify a point of attention vs just a statistic.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t notice that.

You are right, it’s important to promote the support program and to show the admin that there is a support program he may use but not in a way he has to click away something gui error like or see a warning on top of the page every day.
I think a dashboard box is the best place for that as it’s the first screen you see after login.

I don’t think that this function is implemented now but this would also be ok, maybe make it snoozeable forever. On the other hand implementing this function only because of support program is not worth it I think.

3 Likes

While I agree with you in terms of hitting users with a nag thingy, and needing to create a how to on how to remove it, it will also force a significant portion of sysadmins to rethink and perhaps both support for the continuity as the added robustness. That will only happen if you remind them.

If my proxmox wouldn’t nag, it would be done when I find time. Now I am forced to find time. In the end that is better for me and them.

And instructions exist to remove it

Edit: disable it through command would be fine … but I personally prefer polite nag screens over forgetting to fix that part and run into issues because of it. Making it a conscious choice to disable a friendly reminder would have my personal preference.

This is an interesting point of view but I don’t like to be forced, I like to decide.

I think about what would be easy to implement without big effort:

• dashboard box
  • admin todo INFO about support program - hideable forever via command line or Nethgui switch

I’d still prefer the dashboard box and would mention the support program in docs, wiki etc as I think it’s a good compromise between not being intrusive at all and reminding users forever because they see it in dashboard and in docs etc. The dashboard box may also be hideable via command line so we have full flexibility, full information and NO intrusion.

What do you think about a menue button “Support” or “Help” at nethserver configuration.
If you click it, you open a site like the overwiev but with information about the support programm with a link to subscription but also a link to the docs, the wiki and the community.

2 Likes

This is a good solution too IMO.