NethServer Support Program Feedback

I’m thinking about half my goal not being met with this solution. I want to support those that I lean on. But stephdl’s contributions seem a personal endeavor …

Could you please think about implementing something like a certified contributor who can use his/her own licensing model through the same interface, provided their contributions are there to stay, and thus both help them and businesses that need a tiny bit of assuring they can get help when stuck.

None of us want to freeload on their massive contributions, but I can’t find a good way to do that when all I can do is donate … businesses tend to not do that. My main concern is that I should be able to sell to higher-up as a form of peace of mind in order for it to fly. This would be the case in most businesses I would wager.

When on a tight budget, donations get cancelled first … this way, those with the biggest burden (developers doing something on their own) carry the most weight with the least compensation for their efforts. This feels wrong to me .

Also, I would not expect any of this support to include support on the actual packages. Just on their Nethspecific implementation.

2 Likes

I’d like to clear my mind :slight_smile:
We have two paths here:

• Community Support Program
  • Partner Program

The first one, in my mind, is for consultant that has suggested/installed NethServer for clients, sysadmin that have installed NethServer in their companies. We’re talking about a few installations Anyone else?
The second one is for companies or people who want to sell and resell NethServer to other companies and offer their support. We can estimate at least > 5 installations

What do you think? Am I arguing right?

What do you mean? Without being a Nethesis partner? Why?
Because you have just a few installations? Or because you won’t sell NethServer?

Are you using NethServer just in your company?

I’d like to target the right audience with the right offer. I’m arguing that
Consultants + Sysamins in SBS + COmmunity members = Community Support Program
Resellers + IT Companies = Partner Program

What do you think? I’d like to know your thoughts

Prices for resellers are not public I guess.

Is this clear enough? How can we make it more straightforward?
http://www.nethesis.it/rivenditori/ please click on the language preferred above
http://www.nethserver.org/community-vs-enterprise/

Sorry, maybe I’m not understanding completely. Do you need support for all packages?

The problem is the know-how. Honestly Nethesis Support Team can’t know every package implemented here :slight_smile: @stephdl is doing already a great job offering his support on them
Regarding the certified contributor, I love the idea. I don’t know if we need it :-\ or we have so many contributors to certify but maybe I’m wrong

2 Likes

So, let me outline my use-case, it will clear things up.

First of all, I am responsible for everything IT in our 13 (and rapidly expanding) people company. (Helped by @ihoutzagers as partner in crime)

We are a software house and even tho we are small, we have a huge percentage of the market in our country and are venturing abroad.

IT was that mess on the table in the corner of the coffee room when they hired me, and consisted of a single m$ 2003 small business server doing everything. Not counting the workstations with server roles.

This has been replaced by open-source products and we can now say we have a small data center and proper (industry best practice) segregation of services into different servers. Due to our requirements, this means a different server for the following roles:

• AD account provider
  • SOGo mail server leaning on Stephdl’s work
  • samba file and vsftpd ftpes server
  • web server for intranet/public website and as reverse proxy for other to be exposed sites.
  • 3 different sme web apps that will be integrated through API in the future, leaning on Stephdl’s work (typo3, otrs, redmine and maybe odoo soon as well)

I am saving a shitton on licenses this way and run a M$ compatible shop. I am still below $35.000 spend at this point, including dual backup nas, switch, sound proof cabinet, etc.

We can store 40TB and have 256GB RAM and 40 cores to our disposal. This includes the Igel thin clients, but excludes the M$ licenses for the vm workstations. Those are $3500 or so for 10. Not including office (another 3,5k) etc.

As a business, we do not donate, unless I pull off a stunt. This can be done sparingly but will not sustain those I lean on, Nethserver and Stephdl at this point.

I need a proxmox like thing to pay for something I don’t need in order to sponsor you guys on a regular basis. And I want to sponsor Stephdl as well. The rare case I do need yesterday support, this is a nice to have an makes it sellable in light of ISO certification which requires me to have certificates myself or a contract with a supplier.

So, in my ideal world, you create a proxmox like scheme so I can support Nethserver (I have no use yet for Nethesis , looking at the pbx edition) AND I would love for me to be able to do the same for Stephdl.

I would not expect support ever to cover his to configure a vsftpd server or how to install SoGo correct, but more the service of explaining what is different on nethserver or the specific implementation on nethserver.

I can not replicate Stephdl’s work. If he where to erase it tomorrow, I would be royally fucked. I would like to be able to tell higher ups that I have this support contract that enables me to at least fall back on Stephdl in that case to either pay him for prolonged support or get a heads up that enables me to adapt in time.

Of course I do not really really need this, and it can be as loosely defined as is safe for those involved to not end up liable in any scenario, but would be the sales pitch to allow me to get a stream of support going.

Given my scenario, this means a good 7 nethserver installations, 4 of which where Stephdl should share in that stream. IMHO.

I do not intend to install nethserver for others, yet.

It’s not so much about support, tho it is useful at times. It is more about continuity for everybody :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

No, I use NethServer at home and in the cloud at the moment.
But my plan is to convince everybody to put minimum one Nethserver to his IT infrastructure. It’s only a question of time…

4 Likes

I’m curious on how much you have saved in terms of HW and licenses :fearful:

You are definitely going to be happy about a news that I’m rolling out :slight_smile:

:smile: :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: Royally f**

Great plan! Do you need any support for that?

HP quote for a HA NAS with 40TB was 80k. The reasonable version of that was still 60k

We now have a non-HA NAS with a backup NAS and an off-site NAS.

7 server licenses and the needed user licenses, given the amount of cores we have (40) would be another 15 or 20k iirc, given 15 users. Virtualization with thinclients like we have now, would have been costly as well and likely skipped due to pricing.

I can go on… an will, in my use-case where I will present numbers and make a solid case to drop windows as a small to medium enterprise, if not just in any case.

2 Likes

Indeed! Your experience would be great on making a solid scenario. I can help with that

Thanks, not yet. But another mission may be to represent NethServer at regional linux events. When I am ready for that I get back to you…
The use-case by @planet_jeroen may be very interesting to convince people because it’s a real life scenario and about saving lot of money for having same or more features.

2 Likes

More. A lot more. The licensing restrictions for M$ and HP and the like, make it so that only a large enterprise will use all features that make life easier.

I am using them as well and almost feel like a robber :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Split into a new discussion. It’s worth it

4 Likes

That’s an interesting question. What do you think if I try to name these programs?

Nethesis Community Support Program

What we’re discussing here.

Nethesis Reseller Program

The purpose of the Nethesis Reseller program is to enable customers to purchase NethServer Enterprise Edition via a partner who provides fulfillment support as well as first and second tier customer support in local time zone and local language.
Companies who enter into a Nethesis Reseller agreement typically have existing relationships with customers and help them procure information technology products.

What do you think? Is it clearer now?

Yes it is becoming clearer. Thank you for the detailed responses.
I’m not sure if this would apply to everyone, but if you use the name “Community Support Program” it will cause some companies to shy away and not subscribe.

The first one, in my mind, is for consultant that has suggested/installed NethServer for clients, sysadmin that have installed NethServer in their companies.

It is all too common to have the people in charge of making decisions to have limited knowledge of IT, and/or Linux in general (In my Country at least). For the consultant that has NS installed for their Clients or the sysadmins that have it installed in their companies naming the Support “Community Support Program” suggests that it would only be Community support available. Listing it on paper in a budget justification as such would limit decision makers choosing to pay for “Community Support” when comparing it to M$. If the “Community” were dropped, for example making the two paths something like “Nethserver Support Program” and “Partner Program” it would be a much easier “sell” for sysadmins and clients. At least it would where I’m from.

2 Likes

For Companies that offer both, how can they be accommodated in the respect of making it easy for them to manage both.
Example: Company 1234 is a reseller to businesses that have their own in house IT, but Company 1234 also offers Consulting services where they are the IT. Both would need to be managed by Company 1234 but in different ways for different reasons.

1 Like

OK, I’m planning to sell my services on installation, this year, and 49$ for the year on each client is not so much, i`m working for small budget companies and 49$ dollars is not so much, is good quality pice of software, stable like a rock, but the normal bugs of a new distro…

First thing I want to thank All the support, in the test environment the only main bug was with the samba, Please take care with elemental services as samba/mail.

I will like to make bussiness with you.

3 Likes

As I understood it, it is completely optional. You will get help on the forum anyway … it’s more for those companies that require certified staff or an option to submit a ticket to be able to adopt Nethserver without getting LPI certified admins for a bunch of low maintenance servers, or those seeking a way to support Nethserver without having to donate.

I don’t think it will be mandatory to have a support contract, to get community support.

1 Like

I think that the is peferible to pay instead to have problem with updates, a least have support, to have test enviroment can be so expensive.

1 Like

Good point indeed! I like these programs :slight_smile:

• NethServer Support Program
  • NethServer Partner Program

You can manage your internal installations using the Partner Program too, it’s more flexible.

Hi Hector! Thanks for joining us. How many installations do you have so far? Are you some kind of consultant/freelance? Or IT company?
Thanks for your feedback.

I have experience on Linux since 2001, The only installation of Nethserver is the backup server were we are going to change the network in a commercial center is the only client that I have with linux, they have a SME server that I installed 4 years ago.

I know the problems of linux: Security updates they are the worst thing in CentOS a lot come with viruses and chroot.

I’m a Freelance Consultant with good contacts in comercial centers in Bogota,

The only thing is that don’t make Zentyal Goal: server for 50 people US$350/year is expensive than Windows 2012 service and it comes with a lot of bugs.

A lot of work is coming SEñores!!! NethServer For ever.

1 Like

…?? wut ?

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

Yeah! FOREVER

I had the problem 3 times SME server Update and format + backup restore, the update was corrupt To who I Can ask help? MYSELF!! is one of the problems when you don’t pay for the things.

Prefer to pay a little money for a good Quality service It sells more.

3 Likes