Command to update NS7

NethServer Version: 7.6.1810
Module: nethserver-base-3.7.3-1

Every time I issue an upgrade using the Web UI I notice on my server journal the following commands:

sudo:  srvmgr : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/share/nethesis/nethserver-manager ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkginfo compsdump
sudo:  srvmgr : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/share/nethesis/nethserver-manager ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkginfo check-update
sudo:  srvmgr : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/share/nethesis/nethserver-manager ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/nethserver/admin-todos
sudo:  srvmgr : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkgaction --update *

I presume this commands are how NS7 do upgrades. My question is, if I wanted to update my NS7 server, what’s the recommended way for doing it?
Either with:

yum check-update && yum update pkg1, pkg2, pkg3 ...

Or

/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkginfo check-update
/usr/libexec/nethserver/admin-todos
/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkgaction --update pkg1, pkg2, pkg3 ...

I think the better way is often the terminal, simply yum update, yum is really well to find the dependencies to upgrade

Only an issue for me, during a minor upgrade (7.6 to 7.7), NS is intended to protect you against upgrade until you unlock manually the upgrade function of the UI, whereas yum do the upgrade whatever the number of rpm to upgrade.

For my concerns, when I do upgrade, I know what I am doing when I press y

So is advisable to use the nethserver way, like this:

/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkginfo check-update
/usr/libexec/nethserver/admin-todos
/usr/libexec/nethserver/pkgaction --update pkg1, pkg2, pkg3 ...

Since I presume that this scripts will avoid doing any upgrade if you locked it on the Web UI …
Right ? :thinking:

I suppose yes, but, I am not sure if you use the UI way inside the terminal is a good thing, in the terminal I would use the terminal way, yum update

1 Like