Collaborative tools for schools

wonderful, looking forward to that integration. would be nice and fun and productive

1 Like

It is for this that I have requested to change Chat server by Ejabberd XMPP server, and it is possible to have several XMPP server possibilities:

• Ejabberd XMPP server
  • Jackal XMPP server
  • Metronome IM
  • Openfire
  • Prosody IM
  • Tigase XMPP server

I came accross this discussion here: https://help.nextcloud.com/t/nextcloud-app-for-bigbluebutton-integration/74910/21

Basically someone managed to get bigbluebutton to workon nextcloud.
Now thats more Like it.

2 Likes

There is also a BBB plugin for moodle
And @mrmarkuz has created a moodle module
But it needs some attention and updating. (but I understood that’s in the works as we speak

1 Like

can Moodle be used in a multi schools environment, or only a single installation per school?

here is the source code for the project:

Basically he replaced the original spreed nextcloud talk, with what he built.

This version he forked from the original next cloud talk.
This is extremely close to what i am talking about.

1 Like

So we can Have a seprate bigbluebutton server deployed on a seprate server, then this app installed the way we install nethserve modules, then configure the necessary config items to get the location of BBBlocation and we are good to go.

First i need to deploy BBButon and then test this on existing Nethserve risntance

If it works, get way to automate deployment of this app. and have all schools use same BBButton server, but different nextcloud instances, which can be deployed on small vps from stored block storage

1 Like

I honestly don’t know if this is the wise approach. I found this trhead on moodle forums: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96607
And a bit more searching it looks like this is possible: https://www.paradisosolutions.com/blog/moodle-multi-tenancy/
And on Moodle docs: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Multi-tenancy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbJwSzHSJKk

1 Like

Great! BBB would really be an improvement.

Why multi-tenancy? Nethserver doesn’t support multi-tenancy. To reach it you can always have more instances.
Wouldn’t it be better for a school to be independant? What advantages/synergies do you see when having more schools in one BBB or moodle?

There is no need for NethServer to support multi tenancy if the application (IE BBB and/or Moodle) supports it.

2 Likes

That’s basically right.
What if we want to use the LDAP/AD userbase or mailserver which does not support it?
Why do we need it?

Honestly I am not a big fan of multi-tenancy, it’s more a reseller thing than it does improve technology IMO.

@mrmarkuz

Hi Markus

Our user oneitonitram (Martin spelt backwards, see the end
) happens to be in the provider business and want’s to provide european class service to african schools.

Tough work, but I support the idea - and even helped him set up Zabbix monitoring. Not that easy, even I’ve never dealt with a distributed hosting network for a provider

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

PS: you were meant too, with my comment at Proxmox HA chat!

1 Like

I support helping schools too and I really appreciate the work of @oneitonitram

I am afraid of the technical solution because

And besides the technical things:

Not All schools have a qualified IT admin stuff, multi tenancy helps us to be able to mange those tasks for multiple institution, Though i was not suggesting multi tenancy for Nethserver, as it does not support it. Though it would be awesome if it did.

Each school can have its own NEthserver instance, but not BBButon because it will be expensive for us to provide bbbutton server for each school. This is considering i can install BBButon on a NEthsever instance.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s possible to do it completely without having people in place that at least know some basics. I think it’s about training (maybe webinar over bbb) too.

Nethserver provides an easy-to-use interface with delegation possibility. If you train them they can manage it themselves giving you more resources to support more schools.

If the schools get a physical server you may virtualize BBB when a native install does not work.

1 Like

on the BBB website they do not recommend using a virtual machine, has anyone used BBB on a server that is virtualised without any issue?

2 Likes

You managed to installed it? I try getting screenshots, or a demo for it, couldn’t get

the install instructions i saw are not clear.

Yes workable, now with a trick to postfix, I need to talk if I could push some fix or I make a custom-template

Need to check if I try the multi domain or I stay with the mono domain

For now each list is :list1@domain.com list2@domain.com

In theory I could have list1@domain1 list3@domain2 but Nethserver does not handle well and I worry to need big changes inside postfix that I do not want to maintain

why is everyone on this community always worrying about maintenance. and how can we solve that issue?