Cockpit.Web server.Virtual hosts

After Upgrading Nethserver from 7.7.1908 to 7.8.2003, that worked actually fine. With the following exception in the new Server Manager Cockpit regarding Web server.Virtual hosts and PHP:

Note: I’ve installed PHP previously on 7.7.1908 using the following instructions:

1. Install the stephdl repository

2. Install PHP by software collection

3. Install Phpsettings

And this is still working in NS 7.8.2003 using the old Server Manager.

Cockpit shows the following:

The old Server Manager looks as follows, that are the correct values.
Note: There seems to be a charset mismatch: e.g. é is not shown correct compared to Cockpit.

Annotation 2020-05-25 133050

1 Like

Yes, I noticed it too. I am looking to Nethserver again :slight_smile:

That’s are totally different implementation, you should use the one on Cockpit because it uses the standard core modules.

If you want to use @stephdl implementation, you should stick to the old Server Manager.
Basically, what is inside Cockpit is a merge of the old work inside the core.

Am I right @stephdl or am I saying something totally wrong? :thinking:

Yep we have merged my code inside the nethserver-httpd-virtualhosts, with a lot of review :slight_smile:

Basically for now my module use remi-safe as background (up to PHP7.4), the core package use the official SCL (limited to 7.3 currently)

When you use my module with a PHP version different, the priority is given to the core package if the PHP version is not set to default.

My module allow to modify the version of PHP for /var/www/html the default virtual hosts

Yes, that’s completely clear to me: 2 different implementations. I was using and I’m still using @stephdl implementation of PHP, btw. great job of you @stephdl, because it was at that time I needed it for newer versions of WordPress the only easy approach to use PHP versions > 5.4. And it worked & works still fine for me.

And yes, I would like to use Cokpit only, as soon as it has the same or better functionality as the old Server Manager.

I personally like :slightly_smiling_face: actually the old Tabbed UI more than the new approach with Advanced settings button:
Annotation 2020-05-25 182315

I know, this is used everywhere nowadays e.g. Google uses it nearly everywhere - but new means not always better :upside_down_face: at least from an Usability or User Experience point of view.

I’ve understand, that your team has done a great work with cockpit BUT

please could you give me a hint, what and how should I use PHP at the moment. Or in other words, what’s the best practice using PHP on Nethserver 7.8.2003?

Because Cockpit.Web server.Virtual hosts tells me, that PHP 7.2 and 7.3 is not installed!:

don’t know it depends of your goals, generally I use the last php version available if the web applications is compatible

Anyway it is only to your Vhost, so it changes nothing to the rest of your system.

With the core module we have changed the way to handle rpm, the default is nothing is installed and you install what you miss, with My RPM I did differently, install everything and enable it per vhost if asked.

OK, know I’ve understood. So I’ll use Cockpit for future virtual hosts that uses then the Red Hat PHP rpms e.g. rh-php72-php-fpm instead of php72-php-fpm

But there seems still to be one problem with Cockpit. You can not specify the name of the newly created virtual host directory nor the FTP user name. But these are auto generated and not really human readable. I don’t no why it is implemented in that way but not usable for me. As long as this is not fixed in Cockpit, I’ll use the following approach:

1. Create the virtual host using the old Server Manager. This creates a readable FTP user name and more important a readable directory name in /var/lib/nethserver/vhost/gaga :slightly_smiling_face:

2. And set the PHP version and PHP settings to be used within Cockpit :wink:

Thanks anyway for your fast repsonse to my question. :bangbang: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is what Cockpit currenty generates:

1 Like