Cockpit preview

The work is in progress, and the core part is almost done.

What is missing to complete the core:

• Network: configuration of physical interfaces, PPPoE and static routes
  • Software center and applications management (you canā€™t install new modules)
  • i18n workflow

Everything else is ready to be tested.
We would also like to know what are you thinking about the new Network page which is really a work in progress.

How to install? Just execute:

yum update && yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nethserver-cockpit

Then access your server at port 9090.

Please report your feelings!

/cc @davidep @filippo_carletti

5 Likes

Great job! /cc @edoardo_spadoni

I love the ā€œhintsā€ pattern over the ā€œwizardā€ one :wink:

I hope to develop the Active Directory BDC/slave role UI on Cockpit soon :pray:

7 Likes

Wow!!! Looks great. Love it. :heart_eyes:

Canā€™t await this to be standard UI! Is there a roadmap or timetable for this project?

7 Likes

Please read my post above. :slight_smile:

Looks amazing and growing day after day

The cockpit based server-manager is really nice and a big step forward.
It is responsive and I love the modern looks;
Big thumps up and looking forward to its release. :+1::+1:

(Do not forget the above while reading the next.)

I love graphs but they need to be meaningful and accurate.

• IMO the dashboard-cpu graph is not accurate, it represents the single-thread load. On a multicore system , letā€™s say 4 cores, the y-axis should show 400% (or the value divided by 4). And this does not even take the scaling-governor (actual clock speed) in to account. To reproduce install stress and pound one core for a while (stress -c 1 --timeout 30s) and observe the cpu graph going to 100%.
  • The memory graph is not meaningful, it seems to represent used memory+buffers+cache and do not see the point to have an live stream graph of this value. Goodness is in the pipeline from the cockpit project :heart_eyes: here and here . Still, would a streaming representation of memory IO per second be more useful?
  • The auto-scaling y-axis of {Disk, Network}-IO/s make those graphs hard to interpret. I have to admit to be unable to give a better suggestion.

Cockpit has some dependencies which are not really needed, specific for my raid-less test-system mdadm, but also NetworkManager and Udisks. To my understanding the latter two for their dbus capabilities. Despite the demonstration of shear possibilities of dbus with the streaming graphs; are my feelings regarding dbus as the ideal IPC for a server at least ambiguous.
Therefor very happy to see the nethserver-api implementation which does not heavily rely on the dbus. Iā€™m curious about the thoughts/background to break with the upstream cockpit-philosophy on this topic.

Again I really like this :heart_eyes:
(and it workā€™s on arm too :wink: )

4 Likes

Looks like a bit different ?

You are right after updating nethserver-cockpit it looks like this;
From the bright side :sunny: some of my objections regarding the graphs are solved. :grin:

EDIT:
afbeelding
pounding one core (stress -c 1 --timeout 60s) and both cores (stress -c 2 --timeout 60s)

1 Like

We just copied old cockpit graphs. Letā€™s ask @edoardo_spadoni if is easy enough to pull latest upstream modifications inside our page.

Because writing a simple script in whatever language is much simpler than trying to understand the ugly DBUS protocol :wink:
Also, I donā€™t like DBUSā€¦

Totally agree. Lets see what the future brings i got the feeling dbus is pushed into the server environment by rhel.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just pulled the latest CPU graph that show the number of the cores. For the memory part itā€™s not so simple, maybe itā€™s better to wait a better implementation from the upstream and pull down the updates in our system later.

If you want to checkout the new CPU graph simply update from testing repos :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you @edoardo_spadoni the cpu graph is accurate now. :+1:

BTW I see /usr/share/cockpit/nethserver/manifest.json is fixed and we land on the nethsever dashboard (:9090/nethserver) again. Is it an idea to ā€œlockā€ one demo version while devolvement goes on so people how are late to the party get something nice to play with?

Demo version is dead, long live the Alpha release! :wink:

We are pushing to the public to gather feedback and fix bugs while the development is in progress.

4 Likes

Which version-number has Alpha 1?
Iā€™ve nethserver-cockpit-0.0.5-1.26.g17ad52b.ns7.noarch.
Is Alpha 1 only for 7.6 or also for 7.5 available?

Everything is still available on 7.5.
To be sure to always pull latest release from testing:

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing clean all
yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nethserver-cockpit
3 Likes

I love the new cockpit- great job done- congrats

3 Likes

Yes, this did the trickā€¦ Thank you !

2 Likes

Nethserver 7.6 will be cockpit-based or nethgui-based?

There will be both! An alpha preview of the new server manager will be available from the Software Center

More information: https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5660

2 Likes

Thereforeā€¦ Nethgui based.
With cockpit based server manager as option for early adopters and test.

3 Likes