Cockpit Mail UI

I always remember the same things:

• Configuration as MX backup for another domain.
    (I have three different NS installations on the run and would like to use against each other as MX backup - Yes, this is a DNS thing but also the mail server is involved)

• Group accounts

• Enable direct login with alias address

• Multi-user capability in SOGo (that the mail alias can be selected as the sender)

Basically, I have to say that it is actually running quite well, the separation between users and e-mail takes some getting used to, but it works.

greetings

2 Likes

Thank you all for your feedbacks! We are working on the mailbox/addresses distinction. The the dynamic groups database, discussed in Sending an email to LDAP/AD group - Mail Alias is not a solution will be available from the new UI.

You can see the new interface logical structure here: https://github.com/NethServer/dev/wiki/Email-UI#cockpit-ui

1 Like

Looks good !

I think that basically we need the same features as those provided with the current user interface. I was thinking that probably users and email management could be merged.

As a bonus, A small graph representing the hourly / weekly / monthly volume of mails / spam / rejected would be more useful than that sector graph.

I’d like to have a live view of the maillog too.

A top 10 users report (on different time spans) would be nice.

An integration of the rspamd web interface would be great !

The way the aliases targets are displayed (and searched) is not perfect right now (in the server manager) especially when there are a lot of targets that cannot all be displayed : in that case it is not possible to search for each occurence of an email target. See below what I’m talking about :

That’s what I can see right now. Please keep us updated !

3 Likes

Thanks for inviting me to comment @alefattorini

My mail system is quite small compared to most people, but I like to see information about how many emails I’ve received in a certain time. e.g. number of messages per day, week, month etc.
It would also be nice to see the statistics of how many spam messages I’m receiving compared to how many ham messages (rspam already does this).
It might be useful to see some data on which spam rule has been triggered the most, this might help the Admin tune the spam rules (symbols?) differently.
Is there an easier way of displaying the contents of the white & black lists for the different email options? The file listing in the rspam admin panel is OK, but some sort of drop down list view might be easier to work with.
Regards
Bob

3 Likes

Tuning rspamd scoring rules is a really advanced use case, for experts only. A bad setting can invalidate the effectiveness of the whole mail filter.

I suggest to do it with the rspamd UI itself, or with a template-custom.

1 Like

I agree. It makes me remember that each time I installed a nethserver mail server I noticed that the effectiveness of the filter wasn’t so good at first time, especially for spams in another language than english. This is because the Bayesian filter doesn’t kick in before it learns 200 hams and 200 spams (wether you use SpamAssassin or rspamd). We discussed this with @filippo_carletti a long time ago and for sure it wasn’t that clear.

Therefore it could be useful to display a message to prevent disappointment and to keep user form being tempted to fiddle with the standard rules (that works good out of the box indeed).

2 Likes

Thanks :heart: I like it! We must show it somewhere in the Dashboard or under the Filter settings…

1 Like

Hints/alerts? Maybe an ham/spam counter could help

1 Like
$ sudo rspamc stat
Results for command: stat (0.015 seconds)

(...)

Statfile: BAYES_SPAM type: redis; length: 7.91M; free blocks: 0; total blocks: 208.25k; free: 0.00%; learned: 343; users: 1; languages: 0
Statfile: BAYES_HAM type: redis; length: 15.24M; free blocks: 0; total blocks: 401.10k; free: 0.00%; learned: 442; users: 1; languages: 0
Total learns: 785

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

• Edit -
    :thinking: 442 hams only ?? I should investigate this…
1 Like

Please don’t get distracted by discussing how a user could break their spam filtering. My thought was to show how many times a spam symbol had been recognized. It may help identify a miss configured settings somewhere.
As an example, my email comes in to a relay server on my network, so every message I receive has a score for being relayed - which in my case isn’t a problem.
As another example, my mail server runs using a catch all account. I’ve started to receive spam messages from someone where the to: and from: headers are the same, so I’ve increased the score of the to_eq_from symbol to give those messages a high spam score. (thanks to @mrmarkuz for that one).
regards
Bob

2 Likes

Another idea : when adding people to groups or aliases, a full list of users should be displayed instead of a simple “search” field.

Currently one has to write something in the field then delete it to get a full list of users.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, it is really valuable!

We are working hard to mockup the base system, then we will try to add all cool things asked (maybe not all :smiling_imp:)

Sneak peak (just a little more than a mockup).

7 Likes

I like those, they look very “modern” :grinning:
The chart of “mail in que” is nice, can something similar be used to show how mails have been delivered in a given time frame?
Regards
Bob

Waaaaah :eyes:

1 Like

you cannot even imagine the number of lines needed to do this :smiley:

2 Likes

You’re right, i cannot even imagine…

I can, until now about 21K lines of code : Add NethServer Mail application to Cockpit UI by DavidePrincipi · Pull Request #107 · NethServer/nethserver-mail · GitHub

:fearful:

2 Likes

DNS an port check as requested by @gerald_FS, @pike and others:

Some statistics from current log as requested by @danb35, @bobtskutter and others:

5 Likes

Where is the drooling smiley :yum:

Matthieu G. (en mode mobile)

2 Likes

DNS checks are made on domains server-related. In my mind, parts of these DNS tools should be available to look for data on foreign/external DNS/Mailsystem for troubleshooting connection and spam classification issues (teamed with rSpamd console)
It’s not a request, it’s an explaination :wink:

Are you having fun to mockup/design the UI, @giacomo? I know that’s a lot of work to do but i believe that hard jobs can became quite more interesting if they are… funny