Check if users are connected?

I need to check if users (win10 clients) are connected to Nethserver, are there any special tools provided? I know there is smbstatus but I like to be 100% sure…

@fausp

Hi

I have a similiar issue, with my ca. 30 clients - for finding out if anyone is sitting there and / or PC connected, but are not used…For Remote support / maintenence it would often be practical to find out if a PC is being used - many stay connected with the server, but no one sitting there and no tasks running.

More accurate feedback about this would have to come - for example - using the PC’s screensaver status. But again, that’s only possible if a Screensaver is active, which is often NOT the case.

My Remote Desktop Servers (Most using TSPlus) do have an Option: TSPlus can give more accurate info about sessions. But my clients have a lot of “normal” PCs, and I haven’t found an ideal solution - with the exception of maybe MeshCentral.

I also refer to CPU / Network stats in Zabbix (Active for ALL PCs) to get a more accurate picture…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Maybe this can be of inspiration:

2 Likes

@mark_nl

Hi Mark

I know and have used smbstatus since the times of SME Server.

However, for maintenence or other uses, it’s not much use, because a lot of PCs are just left on, connected to the server.

SMBStatus does NOT give any info, if that PC (Or Server) is in actual use - limiting maintenence options…

Due to “Home Office” in Corona times, with much more PCs left on, the situation has gone worse.

Better hints (Info) on wether the PC is in actual use can be derived from:

Zabbix Monitoring: CPU, Networkstats

Best would be using the screensaver modus to give feedback, but not all machines run Screensavers…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

A dead man’s switch like those used on trains?

If using AD, something can be done through GPO to log off inactive users (but this does not solve the original topic question).
With a screensaver (even with a small Idle Log Off utility):

For Remote Desktop:

1 Like

@dnutan

Logging off users isn’t really a problem.
But doing maintenence on PC’s can become one…

As domain admin, I can log into ANY PC of my clients - at the same time (If not Multi-User like TSPlus - or the less capable MS Terminal Server) logging off the current user.

However, I have people like Doctors / Bookkeepers as clients…

Im course of their work, it’s often necessary to compare eg. paper documents with the screen, mainly handling is with paper, so the screen displays something (A bit like static), maybe a DB entry, an XL spreadsheet, or something more complex like ERP. The doctors often compare X-Ray images (DICOM files), say before / after an operation…

I need to know when someone is “using” the PC.

A screensaver would log off the user while working (comparing paper with screen), so that’s a no-go. Throwing out a user is considered very impolite, and would lose me customers…

That’s what makes this rather difficult to solve…

I check on connected status first, then check my Zabbix stats for CPU usage / network usage.
I’m mostly correct with these “hints” - but not always!
If using TS-Plus, I’ll also check there, that gives good stats AND allows you to “overlook” the screen without disconecting / logging off an active user…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like