Bitwarden on nethserver

So after reading a bit about the possibility of a cloud based password client I started installing bitwarden on my nethserver.

The server is version 7.9.2009
I installed nethserver docker and added docker-composer as well. Then I installed the bitwarden which seems to finish succesfull. Updated my lets encrypt certificate with additional domain.

Now I start the program and the proces stops with following error:

ERROR: for bitwarden-nginx Cannot start service nginx: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint bitwarden-nginx (590ad20ca39a2f566935ed88ac45c4ab361329a3f0a75ea573bb95272b1f8b9e): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:443: bind: address already in use

ERROR: for nginx Cannot start service nginx: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint bitwarden-nginx (590ad20ca39a2f566935ed88ac45c4ab361329a3f0a75ea573bb95272b1f8b9e): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:443: bind: address already in use
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

I have to mention that the server is used for web and mail, serves two domains.
Any clues how to solve or even better for my lack of knowledge is there, by any change, already planned that this module will be integrated in nethserver softwarecenter?

I think the Nethserver Docker plus the official Bitwarden Docker Hub image would be an easy way to deploy your Bitwarden setup.

1 Like

I installed nethserver-docker added the docker-composer and then followed the installation instructions on Linux Standard Deployment | Bitwarden Help Center which ended with the service boot error on nginx.
It looks to me that the port 443 general use on the server is generating the conflict.

You can’t have two processes bind to port 443 at the same time–I expect you’d need to set the Bitwarden container to use a different port, and then use the reverse proxy to get that to appear on its own site.

Where in the container this is set?

Sounds like a question for the Bitwarden dev(s). Or take a look at the config.yml file.

Hey Guus,

I have a Nethserver demo VM deployed with 1 Green NIC on a 10.0.25.0/24 network. After deploying Bitwarden via Portainer and Nethserver-docker I look for the IP address assigned to it, 172.17.0.2 in this case. Your configuration/requirements will be different than mine and how I set this up)

The next step I perform is to create a reverse proxy rule pointing to our newly deployed Bitwarden install. If you get a valid LE cert for your desired domain, you can select it here for the reverse proxy rule.

The reset of the setup with DNS and access is going to be dependant on your setup/requirements.

2 Likes

Hello Royce,

this instruction I will have to follow and let you all know the outcome.
I haven’t deployed bitwarden via portainer so that’s the first correction I’ve to make. This might take sometime but I’ll get back.

Thanks for the informative instruction.

You don’t have to use Protainer, this is a web front end that make managing docker functions easier but a manual deployment will also work.