Bareos - Backup Archiving REcovery?

Thank you, looks much better now:

Many thanks!

I truly believe we should document modules and how-to’s on the wiki. A progessive forum with thousands of edits, readings and catch up does not cut it for me.

1 Like

Does this solution have more options than (for instance) BackupPC?
Are backups stored encrypted?
I will read some on the project site, but anyone knows what happens if a backup is skipped? Will it be picked up at another moment?

This bothers me a bit when it comes to updates and reliability:
Updates and Bugfix releases
Community version: (Source code only)
Professional version: Available on download.bareos.com

BTW… bareos is a fork from bacula

2 Likes

I asked and repeated it so much time but it seems this community prefers discourse to make howtos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, on the end of the day. ATM we are on the way. A 50% Wiki does’nt make sense ?

I would like to see a “one for all” solution. I try to find a software who is able to backup linux, windows and mac-clients. ATM I am not sure if this is working for my OSs (win10, win7, manjaro, ubuntu, mac-os (mojave). Lets try it out ?

1 Like

You are also right… Maybe we should start a wiki-day (one time per month) ?

I’ll doe wiki day any day, as long as people are willng to share

Come on @stephdl, you know that is not how it works. We have quite a nice and straightforward procedure on new features and howto’s.

• do a feature request in the Features section Here we investigate other, similar options and if the feature can count on support in the community
  • create a howto install on NethServer in the Howto section Here the howto is created and polished. As soon the howto is 100% reproducable, it gets a spot in our wiki
  • last step will be full integration as a module.

So my call to all community members would be: help us out here and do some cleaning up. Check if howto’s in the forums still are relevant and if they are not yet in the wiki, start writing those wiki entry’s.

3 Likes
MariaDB [(none)]>  SELECT User, Host, Password FROM mysql.user; 
+--------+-----------+-------------------------------------------+
| User   | Host      | Password                                  |
| root   | localhost | *B98B40D7068924E82DB41D25DEA82693389752A5 |
| bareos | 127.0.0.1 |                                           |
| root   | 127.0.0.1 | *B98B40D7068924E82DB41D25DEA82693389752A5 |
| root   | ::1       | *B98B40D7068924E82DB41D25DEA82693389752A5 |
| bareos | ::1       |                                           |
| bareos | localhost |                                           |

we can see that after the installation the user bareos has no password set, I worry about security here :-?

we could set afterward the password to this MYSQL user

mysql;
grant all privileges on bareos.* to 'bareos'@'localhost' identified by 'password' ;

then set the password in /etc/bareos/bareos-dir.d/catalog/MyCatalog.conf

4 Likes

Very good find!

Hi Steph just a small note if i may.
From what i remember (i might have forgot things), note that 127.0.0.1 or ::1 is not the same as “localhost” in mysql or MariaDB
So, bareos user will still be without password in 2 instances out of 3

And as always you do a great job :+1:

Best regards
Bogdan

2 Likes

Just as a reference, here’s also talk about using localhost and 127.0.0.1

1 Like

MariaDB/MySQL have never been preferred DB backends for Bareos. Please use Postgres.

https://docs.bareos.org/IntroductionAndTutorial/InstallingBareos.html#decide-about-the-database-backend

1 Like

Hey Franck thank for your input, I read your link and yes MariaDB is no more the way to go.

This will give use some work for the howto because the postgresql DB are not saved automatically by our server, but it is not a blocking point

Do you have some experience with BareOS and NethServer to share, could you advice to make a module

1 Like

I guess that we had the visit of Frank Kohler

Welcome here

Hello @Frank , we have now a nethserver-bareos to test, could you comment please ?

3 Likes

Hi Stéphane and all,

apologies for not replying earlier trying to follow all communities as best as I can.
Thank you for investing your time to create and test Bareos within Nethserver. I hope it will encourage more users to try out Bareos. Eager to hear and learn from your experiences to make Bareos better.

2 Likes

Tried to install it:

[root@srv2 ~]# yum install nethserver-bareos --enablerepo=stephdl
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, nethserver_events
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * ce-base: mirrors.prometeus.net
 * ce-extras: mirrors.prometeus.net
 * ce-sclo-rh: mirrors.prometeus.net
 * ce-sclo-sclo: mirrors.prometeus.net
 * ce-updates: mirrors.prometeus.net
 * epel: mirror.nextlayer.at
 * nethforge: mirror.alpix.eu
 * nethserver-base: mirror.alpix.eu
 * nethserver-updates: mirror.alpix.eu
 * stephdl: stephdl.dargels.de
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package nethserver-bareos.noarch 0:0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: nethserver-postgresql12 for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: bareos-webui for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: bareos-database-postgresql for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: bareos for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: bareos-webui for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: bareos-database-postgresql for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: bareos for package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch
---> Package nethserver-postgresql12.noarch 0:1.0.0-1.ns7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: rh-postgresql12 for package: nethserver-postgresql12-1.0.0-1.ns7.noarch
---> Package rh-postgresql12.x86_64 0:3.4-1.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: rh-postgresql12-runtime for package: rh-postgresql12-3.4-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: rh-postgresql12-postgresql-server for package: rh-postgresql12-3.4-1.el7.x86_64
---> Package rh-postgresql12-postgresql-server.x86_64 0:12.5-1.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: rh-postgresql12-postgresql(x86-64) = 12.5-1.el7 for package: rh-postgresql12-postgresql-server-12.5-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: rh-postgresql12-postgresql-libs(x86-64) = 12.5-1.el7 for package: rh-postgresql12-postgresql-server-12.5-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libpq.so.rh-postgresql12-5()(64bit) for package: rh-postgresql12-postgresql-server-12.5-1.el7.x86_64
---> Package rh-postgresql12-runtime.x86_64 0:3.4-1.el7 will be installed
---> Package rh-postgresql12-postgresql.x86_64 0:12.5-1.el7 will be installed
---> Package rh-postgresql12-postgresql-libs.x86_64 0:12.5-1.el7 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: nethserver-bareos-0.0.10-2.ns7.sdl.noarch (stephdl)
           Requires: bareos-database-postgresql
           Requires: bareos
           Requires: bareos-webui
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

It seems the bareos repo is missing:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=bareos#installation

Maybe you just need to enable it

yum install nethserver-bareos --enablerepo=stephdl,bareos

3 Likes

Yes, Installation went through and Version 19.2.7 has been installed… I was able to login with the admin user as described in the wiki…

3 Likes