ARM development: next steps

This is great! Many thanks in advance! Please take your time, I’m not in a hurry.

1 Like

I got my hands on a rpi4 4G model, it on it’s way now…

For those interested they have one last in stock… (dutch webshop)
https://opencircuit.shop/Product/15270/Raspberry-Pi-4-Model-B-4GB

2 Likes

thanlk a lot for armhfp, what about for aarch64, do you have the hardware for this work ?

1 Like

Yes, i use a odroid c2 or a scaleway vps (0.6 cent per hour or 2.99 per month) and it also possible to boot aarch64 on a rpi 3(+) :wink:

The usual workflow is build it for armhfp and then aarch64 is almost all times easy to do, so it will land a bit later in the repo’s

EDIT:
And meanwhile (Fedora) copr has aarch64 epel 7 as an build target :+1:

3 Likes

Still on the list to look in too…

Without further testing it did install oke over here, however it took an awful long time :cold_sweat:
Seems to be related to creation of certificates. From journalctl, note elapsed time 3:12

Aug 29 22:34:48 rpi4.havak.lan esmith::event[11266]: Using configuration from /var/lib/nethserver/certs/ca.cnf
Aug 29 22:38:00 rpi4.havak.lan esmith::event[11266]: Using CA Common Name: NethServer CA

crypto / entropy issue :thinking:

Rspamd 1.9.1-2 for armhfp is in testing (As you know from a PM…). Did minimal testing on it (installed and checked if it is running :hushed: )

3 Likes

I had the install running for over a half hour; it still had not finished and I decided to stop the install. Maybe that was because of it running on a Pi4 with only 2GB memory.

Thanks for the tip: I bought the last one :wink:. I had a 4GB in backorder somewhere else, but because of long delivery times I decided to buy the 2GB. Yesterday this 4GB model is delivered to me, so this weekend I will have time to test some things:

• install nethserver-mail-filter;
  • install openvpn.

Nice!

opened an issue for the repo error

-OT-
Maybe you already noticed the comment I’ve dropped @ centos board about wlan on a rpi 4.
Could you test this too ?

I will test it also, although I didn’t use wlan, as I have a USB3-to-ethernet adapter for the second network-interface.

from the picture you’ve posted i conclude you using AD account provider, right?

While writing this pristine samba is being complied after which a new nethserver-dc package will be created.
If the build is succeeds it could be uploaded it to testing… If you up for it you can be the guinea-pig to test it… (otherwise i’d keep the package back 'till time-found to install it myself…)

1 Like

@mark_nl what’s going on with the ARM builds?

Can we release an ISO for arm 7.7 or just some commands to update existing systems?

Are we going straight to version 8 for ARM, as upstream dictated?

well I’m working on it,

for now seems there is an iseu with nethserver- statistics :

... collectd[19950]: python plugin: Error importing module "nethserver_alert                                                                                                           s".
... collectd[19950]: Unhandled python exception in importing module: ImportE                                                                                                           rror: No module named nethserver_alerts
... collectd[19950]: python plugin: Found a configuration for the "nethserve                                                                                                           r_alerts" plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded or didn't register a configuration callback.
... systemd[1]: collectd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1                                                                                                           /FAILURE
... collectd[19950]: Error: Reading the config file failed!
... collectd[19950]: Read the logs for details.
... collectd[19950]: plugin_load: plugin "threshold" successfully loaded.
... systemd[1]: Failed to start Collectd statistics daemon.

Probably because of missing nethserver-subscription… Graphs work just fine though :smiley:

Estimation is it should be good enough end of this week to upload missing dep’s to the nethserver repository and bake an -RC- image from it.

5 Likes

great, let me know if i can help in testing armhf or aarch64

3 Likes

If you can find time to review/test basic functionally on aarch64 if i get it out would help a lot;

To be honest aarch64, sitting in between armhfp and x86-64, is pushed out by me with really very basic tests (= does it install) :hushed:

1 Like

I tried to install on aaarch64, only to confirm what already seen on armhfp:

• missing gpg keys in .repo
  • missing puppet-agent for nethserver-cockpit

otherwise the basic installation seems to have gone well …

in the logs I only have several errors related to admin-todos

Oct  7 13:39:06 c77a64f3 admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/10eth-unmapped exit code 31744
Oct  7 13:39:08 c77a64f3 admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/10green-dhcp exit code 31744
Oct  7 13:39:10 c77a64f3 admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/20ad_credentials exit code 31744
Oct  7 13:39:12 c77a64f3 admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/20admin-user exit code 31744
Oct  7 13:39:14 c77a64f3 admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/40password_strength exit code 31744
Oct  7 13:39:17 c77a64f3 admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/40restore-incomplete exit code
3 Likes

just uploaded last nethserver-dc and evebox to aarch64 repositories

Those x86_84 developers still don’t know the difference between armv7l and aarch64…

rspamd is on it’s way… is also uploaded

:+1 (see

3 Likes

Who are they? I only know .noarch RPMs :smile:

Just removed the offending package

2 Likes

thank you,

I’d like to discus my idea to upload the tools used to create the images…
More than a year ago it was my intention to make a nethserver-module for this, but i’ll gues it will never happen.

however it is very simple if you can install appliance-tools and a dependency form livecd-tools.
Both (offical centos x86_64) packages never made it to the centos-arm repositories.

to get a impression how easy the creation of a image is you may look at the dead simple script used :slight_smile:

EDIT:
@dz00te if you are interested for arrch64 you can find them here : https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/markvnl/epel-7-aarch64_SBC-tools/packages/

4 Likes

I was a bit too hasty here, the package in /7.7.1908/base/aarch64/Packages of rspamd is not good, it segfaults randomly :hushed:

In updates there is an new conservative build for aarch64 which avoids epel-buildrequires as much as possible and it runs for a day now…

Sorry for this…

cc/@dz00te @stephdl

3 Likes

I’v uploaded appliance-tools to nethserver/arm-testing.

To create an new image you need approx 5-6 GB of free space (a fast sd card / hdd recommended) on the architecture you are targeting.
And get hold (clone) the content of this folder:

then as a privileged user run as an example:
sudo ./build-img.sh ks/Nethserver-7.7.1908-RC1-RaspberryPi.ks

And go drink a cup of coffee and wait for the result to appear in Nethserver-7.7.1908-RC1-RaspberryPi folder of the work space.

The image can directly be written to a SD-Card with
sudo dd if=Nethserver-7.7.1908-RC1-RaspberryPi-img.raw of=/dev/sdX bs=4M status=progress

Some tips inspect the image before writing to SD-Card
sudo losetup -f -P Nethserver-7.7.1908-RC1-RaspberryPi-img.raw
Find which loop device the image is attached to:
losetup -a

And you can mount the image (as an example):

sudo mount /dev/loop0p2 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/loop0p1 /mnt/boot/

Do not forget to umount and detach the loop device:

sudo umount -R /mnt
sudo losetup -d loop0

Happy hacking…

5 Likes

I’m going to drink a :coffee: now :wink: I’ll tell you if the new image fixes issue #33

Edit: see results here Nethserver-arm 7.7.1908 images for testing - #26 by davidep

3 Likes