Allow only certain videos from youtube

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.9.2009 (final)
Module: Web Proxy & Filter

Hi as you may know from my previous posts im homeschooling my daughter and i caught her accessing unrelated videos on you tube (not adult or such) i could block youtube but she still needs it for some of her schooling.

I have a list of the videos (urls to each video) i need to allow is this possible with the web proxy web filter ive been playing around with it for a day but im not getting anyware.

Not a direct answer to your question, but one way to accomplish something like this would be to install Peertube on your Neth box, import the videos in question there (you can import from YouTube and many other video sites with just the URL), and block YouTube completely.

1 Like

I appreciate the suggestion but there are at least 1870 videos

are they all from the same channel? Lol, i would suggest doing something not so cool! But why not downloading all the videos you need?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Turns out I was wrong it’s 18000 videos not 1800, most software that is open source that could do what I want has either been bought out and costs a fair bit or has been discontinued the cheapest was about $600 per year.

I found an extension for Chrome called blockSite that seems to do some of the things I need.

The licence was $116 for 3 years it’s not perfect but it’s better than nothing.

just realised why this is easier said then done from my understanding url filtering on HTTPS requires the use of a mitm hack as the domain is protected by HTTPS the mitm hack reads the url

1 Like

I’m currently working on a better solution but I want to close this thread as until that solution or another one comes around this is the best I can find working within limitations (or security features)