Add Asterisk jail to fail2ban

@Stll0 how do you trick freepbx if you need to rewrite a configuration file. It is not a mandatory but the fail2ban team advices to enable the extra logging and use it in fail2ban to ban attackers

see https://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Asterisk

needed configurations are in two included logfiles:
/etc/asterisk/logger_general_additional.conf: dateformat=%F %T (which is correct)
and
/etc/asterisk/logger_logfiles_additional.conf: full => debug,error,notice,verbose,warning
in this one we should add security events. This could be done from FreePBX interface -> Settings -> Asterisk logfile settings -> log files

I think that it isn’t very nice to enable it by default for two reason:

• security log is verbose with FreePBX because logs a lot of false positive warnings about dialplan
  • changing it means change a mysql row after installation (or change FreePBX installation) and we can’t know if user changed it or if it’s a default setting

We could do it, but since it’s not mandatory and can be easily configured from interface, maybe it’s better to write it in documentation.

What do you think?

3 Likes

if we could break something by adding a new setting, you know the mantra, do not break existing installations. We could document it

What are the news, how many attackers have you banned ?

I could see a /var/log/asterisk/fail2ban what is the content please ?

please could you test

yum install http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7.5.1804/autobuild/x86_64/Packages/nethserver-fail2ban-1.0.4-1.6.pr31.g57fccb2.ns7.noarch.rpm

think to remove your custom template

{“TotalBannedIP”:{“sshd-ddos”:1,“recidive”:58,“apache-noscript”:88,“apache-auth”:6,“asterisk-tcp”:2957,“sshd”:1718,“asterisk-udp”:2957}}

It is empty

1 Like

La vache (french translation of wtf)

Did you see the asterisk number of bans :’)

Do you have installed the new rpm ?

1 Like

We are implementing the asterisk jail, is it possible you send me the two logs per email (stephdl at de-labrusse dot org)

/var/log/fail2ban.log
/var/log/asterisk/full

I feel the number of bans a bit high, either you were under a heavy attack, or your users were banned, what do you think ?

did you make some configuration modifications in asterisk also

2 Likes

Give me some days to install the rpm, i’m slightly busy!
the bans are hight, but it’s normal for a public vm!

Hi all

I hope that your holidays are/were good

I need some QA on this topic

thank for your help

I need this bug is verified before to release the new fail2ban statistics feature…please go on

:white_check_mark: The jail should be enabled you can check it by fail2ban-client status asterisk
:white_check_mark: Check the UI, a new fieldset switch exists Communication it replaces Instant messaging
:white_check_mark: With the asterisk auth checkbox you can disable the jail if needed (/etc/fail2ban/jail.local check [asterisk]-> false or true)
:white_check_mark: On a real asterisk server you should wait to see the bans and if they are not false positive
:white_check_mark: The maxretry value is the double of the general maxretry value (/etc/fail2ban/jail.local check [asterisk])

:x: The jail is disabled if the asterisk service is disabled (/etc/fail2ban/jail.local check [asterisk])

I disabled the asterisk service via shell and ui, did “signal-event nethserver-fail2ban-save” but the jail is still up and the config file is unchanged.

I tested on a VM with only green interface and port forwarding from the router. As client I used microsip with a wrong password to simulate bans.

2 Likes

sorry but I cannot reproduce, can you check again, this is what I did

[root@ns7loc15 ~]# config setprop asterisk status disabled
[root@ns7loc15 ~]# signal-event nethserver-fail2ban-save 
[root@ns7loc15 ~]# fail2ban-client status asterisk
ERROR  NOK: ('asterisk',)
Sorry but the jail 'asterisk' does not exist

[root@ns7loc15 ~]# config setprop asterisk status enabled
[root@ns7loc15 ~]# signal-event nethserver-fail2ban-save 
[root@ns7loc15 ~]# fail2ban-client status asterisk
Status for the jail: asterisk
|- Filter
|  |- Currently failed:	0
|  |- Total failed:	0
|  `- File list:	/var/log/asterisk/full
`- Actions
   |- Currently banned:	0
   |- Total banned:	0
   `- Banned IP list:

you can see also in /etc/fail2ban/jail.local that the jail is enabled/disabled

I used this rpm, is it the same ?

[root@ns7loc15 ~]# rpm -qa nethserver-fail2ban
nethserver-fail2ban-1.0.4-1.4.g41ce7d0.ns7.noarch

what UI did you try, the Status/services UI stop only the service at the systemd level, nothing at the esmith layer

My fault. I only did a systemctl disable --now. Disabling asterisk via e-smith disables the fail2ban jail.

1 Like

Am I too paranoia when bells and whistles go off when I read such a thing? Is it necessary to make the GUI services status/stop option to also stop at e-smith layer level?

I do not think so, this panel is here to manage the service restart/stop, if you want to disable completely a service, I suppose it is the role of the relevant configuration panel

for example you can stop fail2ban from the service panel, but I provide a status checkbox to disable the service in the fail2ban setting panel

1 Like

@mrmarkuz can we release this rpm, does the jail is not too much aggressive and generate false positive (good guys banned) ?

merci par avance (thank in advance)

1 Like

On the test VM it works as expected, some bad guys were banned, my sip client still can connect.

2 Likes