A 32-bit build of Nethserver?

It would be great if there is a 32-bit version of Nethserver available. I have some 32-bit m/cs with me. It would be put to some great use!

Yeah, it would be great but it would take some time. Maybe not so much, as the greatest part of RPMs are noarch. But once the arch-dependant packages are ready they must be maintained.

Who is available for this long-term task?

The Building RPMs documentation and nethserver-mock package are the starting points.

2 Likes

A 32 bit version, sounds interesting, how about a ARM based version for low powered NAS boxes?

@medworthy, if i386 is great, ARM is wonderful :smile:

Same question: who is available to maintain the architecture specific RPMs as a long-term task?

santa claus ?

For centos7, only 64bit are available, so it is time to write a letter to santa and ask some mobo/processor in 64 bit.

2 Likes

Ahahah you’re killing me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

http://seven.centos.org/2015/03/centos-linux-7-and-arm/ only fedora has an arm porting till now

I can relate to a need for a 32 bit version because I had a perfectly good IBM e-Server x-345 that I had to retire because it doesn’t support x64 architectures. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, all is good now because I got rid of my problematic SME-Server 9.0 that I could not get phpmyadmin to install for anything. Seems to be a common issue with others there too. I ended up building up an AMD64 x2 machine with more RAM and twice the storage space just to get rid of SME, and get Nethserver installed. After a few minor caveats, it’s ticking along nicely now. :smile: Granted there are still some things I’d like to see changed with the installer, but that’s for another topic. :wink:

Dave Land
Land Computer Service

Well curious that you have problem with phpmyadmin on sme server, it is my top ten downloaded software. You have also here a module in nethforge concerning phpmyadmin, let me know if you have issues or enhancements

Actually it worked fine until I upgraded from 8.1 to 9.0. Then for some reason they moved the repository for phpmyadmin somewhere else and I could never get the GPG-KEYS to work properly to allow me to get it. That plus SpamAssassin seemed to be almost non-functional in Ver. 9, as my spam mail was more than 3 times worse than before. Between those issues and several minor ones, I finally decided it was time to take the plunge and try something new.

So far, Nethserver seems to work really well aside from a couple (self-induced) problems, which are now fixed, and the minor installer issues that I pointed out in the Features section. I’m sure they’ll probably be addressed in future releases. Kudos to all you guys for a job well done, and for listening to your users!

Dave Land
Land Computer Service