4g as a back up lan

Then look for a LTE modem. That’s about all you need…

As direct experience, i suggest to use a router (at least with nat) instead of a bridged approach. At least some infomation could be managed.

But this kind of device is not on the shelf if your favorite ISP is willing to take a two-days nap. USB adapters for WCDMA, LTE and 5G are quite available everywhere, and you can obtain a cheap sim card for 40-100gb of data transfer in minutes.

Who needs reliable connection is already having a two-way APN for direct access to the public ip address, or more ISP. But who’s having a ISP breakout that has to be managed in hours has only one option:

• cellphone in hotspot mode
  • supplementary red in DHCP or static
  • AP in client mode as a bridge

Unless a cellular RED adapter can be configured AND a USB mobile adapter could be plugged to the hardware.

Everything disappear when we’ll talk about virtualized firewall. If there’s not redundancy on connection shame on the budget.

…which is why you set it up when you aren’t having an Internet outage, so it will be there when you are. Only ongoing cost is whatever the data SIM costs, which for me is $0 + usage.

…had already failed.

Hi

I’d just like to remind everyone, that in most countries, a 4G / LTE can’t pass thru anything and can’t be used like a normal Internet connection. Outwards all works, Incoming nothing.

A lot of providers use CGNAT for 4G / LTE, meaning your Internet IP is something on the 10.x.x.x range, and not a real IP. Even if “what is my IP” shows a “real” IP, this is at your providers end, not at your router box.

I have a Huawei WLan Hotspot box, this model has even a LAN connection. With this, I can access the Internet, can make outgoing VPNs, but I can’t be accessed - not even from my Mobile, using the same provider! The Huawei does allow Port forwarding - only the provider doesn’t!

Your Mileage may vary!

My 2 cents
Andy

3 Likes

Always good to know. Thanks, and (delayed) happy birthday. :birthday:

2 Likes

IMO it’s always better to use a 4G/5G router and configure it as a second WAN interface in NethServer.
The same apply to fast PPPoE connections (1Gb/s or more).

1 Like

1 more PSU that could fail? :slight_smile: