Which way do you prefer for the upgrade to 6.7?

I want point out the Software Center requires two steps to perform the system upgrade:

• 1st UPDATE: new configuration for YUM is applied
  • 2nd UPDATE: new packages from 6.7 are installed
1 Like

When I did scenario 1, my NS crashed… lost my both my cards… Had to download 6.7 and reinstall from scratch. I dont know if anyone had the same problem… so scenario :wink: 2 for me…

scenario 2 is just scenario 1 driven by the web UI…

so, while in the first case you’ll see in RT an issue, in the second you’ve to wait for ui feedback

Which is almost real time :wink:

maybe…
but via CLI I can open as many shell I need and take a look at many things in the same time…

[quote=“zamboni, post:10, topic:1838”]
scenario 2 is just scenario 1 driven by the web UI…
[/quote]Very true… but if there are errors it doesnt give you the impression you typed something wrong…

Just a Friday-before-weekend-silly-thought: what about redirecting all request to 6.6/nethserver-updates repository straight to 6.7/nethserver-base?

This way, the updates from 6.6 to 6.7 will be just a matter of click from the GUI!

1 Like

Nice idea, but someone could forget to update nethserver-firewall to the latest on 6.6

This is not good! :wink:

Two UPDATEs !

Can you do this with one click from Software center (is it possible to write/make something behind the update button)?

Yes, if we follow @giacomo’s idea only one click on UPDATE button is required.

But with that method someone could skip the nethserver-firewall update which is required to avoid the firewall UI disappearing.

I understand that.
Sorry. I think I didn’t was very clear, or maybe is a stupid question.
Is it possible to write/make something behind the update button to do the two steps, automatically, one by one, as you described, after you clicked the button?

Edit
I made update from Zentyal 4.0 to 4.1 with one click on the update button and I think that the first step was to check if the 4.0 is updated.

It could be a “different” kind of button and this way it will not be like the normal update.
This button can be “retreived” via normal update. For example when you update the software center it gets it’s status.
When we have a “distro upgrade” script added as package the button appears

When “clicked” it will run a script to perform all the updates.

I think this was the way that Zential had the update button.

1 normal updates add the “distro-update-script” to the system
2 when this script is found or added, the UI presents the user with a “NS 6.X available” button
3 the script runs all the update / upgrades required

What do you think ?

BR
Bogdan

Of course it’s possible but it would require another cycle of design develop test and release. I wouldn’t do it.

Someone noticed in another thread we are missing upstream updates since August!

1 Like

It recalls what I’ve done for my NS Enterprise customers for the upgrade from 6.5 to 6.6. That time there were some things to fix, today it is straightforward thus I think it is not required.

Hi Davide,

Ok.
It’s clear for me that the upgrade to 6.7 must be done in two steps as you said.
Also, it’s not a big effort to do this from CLI, even for me! :smile:

So, which Scenario?

Maybe for the next upgrade will be possible to do this (One Click Upgrade Button) from time. :pray:
I will add this to My wishes list. :wink:

3 Likes

Ok, let’s go with the simplest path:
the nethserver-release-6.7 rpm will be released inside the nethserver-updates repository for 6.6.

Update procedure
From the GUI: users must press the update button to update the 6.6 to latest released packages and install the new nethserver-release RPM. After the yum cache is expired (12 hours), new updates will be available for the real upgrade to 6.7.

For the next releases, we have to figure out a new way (outside yum) to push the release upgrades.

2 Likes

Is it worth adding this as alternative upgrade procedure to release notes?

It has already been written down :wink:

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/latest/release_notes.html#manual-upgrade-from-6-6

I’m sorry, I see only the Manuale Upgrade section we have since RC1… What happens?

Edit:

The system can be upgraded from the command line.

Of course, it can be upgraded from the Software Center too :wink:

With this awesome new way to upgrade…

I wil expect the same way to upgrade from 6.7 to 7.1 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: