What do you think about Discourse?

For me it’s pretty much intuitive, it seems very much mobile device optimized. Will test from mobile while travelling home (no, I won’t drive at the same time, public transport :slight_smile: )

1 Like

tested, perfect on a 8 inch tablet. :smile:

1 Like

I think that discourse make it easier to post than the mailing list, we have more post here than on the ML, even if there are still less people.
And there are emoji :mushroom:

2 Likes

That’s the killer feature :+1:

3 Likes

Great you use Discourse. I am also starting a platform in short term to support a community. I will definitely go for this.

What else besides the forum functionality is great about discourse from a community platform point of view?

And wiki too!

Ehi @benvantende welcome on NethServer and Thank you for accepting our invitation. Hey guys we have a star here, @benvantende is a great community manager for the Typo3 community. Sorry for Ben! :smile:
Coming back to your question, Discourse is awesome from a community platform point of view, a few examples:

• Badges: absolutely are really really addictive (i’m still working on them!)
  • Discussion discussion discussion, reply with context, dynamic notifications and mentions are useful for keep peple involved :smiley:
  • Once you’re trusted, you can click a button to invite your friends via email and they can reply to your topic with a single click. Let people promote your community!
  • Community moderation - As users regularly participate by reading and posting, they gain trust. With that trust, they gain powerful abilities to help maintain the community and push out trolls and spammers.
  • first PM after registration is very helpful for newcomers
  • Statistics about “read” time and simple metrics about community healthy
  • email notification only when someone reply to you ore the email digest keep people always connected with Discourse, without too many notifications.

These are just few, if you want we can have an hangout about this :wink: I’m available

@etino I disagree and I like the current view with the latest post.

I am not quite sure but can’t anyone customize their first page?

Cheers,
Horace

Unfortunately for now it’s not possibile. It’s a global preference https://meta.discourse.org/t/user-selectable-default-home-view-preference/12816/6?u=alefattorini

1 Like

Oh my god :heart_eyes:
A landing page like this is smarter than the actual one.

I had already explain that the actual entry point of our community is a little confusing

With a presentation like this one… There’s the orientation.

I think this page could be a super landing page for the community. It’s possible to give better information for the newcomer.

And, is it possible to have such page for the Howtos? Organized by tag ( deployment, application, coresystem, devcorner…).

Yes, I know, for new people could be better but for current members Latest is the best choice imho
There is no User-selectable default home view preference, only a global preference.
You can bookmark on your browser the category page, just for you

The right mesure should be this page for the newcomer ( without cookie ), and the Latest set after by a Discourse cookie…

I always said “take a look at success stories” to learn and have good exemple :smiley:

-From the main site, to arrive in discourse with this link:
http://community.nethserver.org/categories
To the newcomer be well oriented with well organized categories.

And to have the default view as
http://community.nethserver.org/latest
For old fellow people and olds wolves…

And have a clean category bar… like this one:

There only the categories filter, latest view and categorie view…
nothing more, it’s clean, it’s fresh, it’s good :smiley:
All the rest ( New, Unread, Top, Bookmarks…) are accessible with the hamburger menu
1 Like

I agree that the catagories view could be more convenient for new members. But for regular visitors, the ‘newest’ view is better.
Maybe propose an enhancement at discourse forums to be able to set 2 views: 1 for newcomers, and one for members with more than x amount of views/posts/whatever criteria.

When you told “newest” view…Did you mean “latest” view?

This feature already exist in Discourse… add /latest or /categories to the link like the the way I shown above :wink:

Of course i meant ‘latest’.
And of course you can bookmark latest and catagories view and use that, but I meant that it would be convenient if there could be more default landing pages configured in discourse.

Nope it’s a generale configuration and not personal.
Most of newcomers come from.the main site www.nethServer.org I could change the link to /categories what do you think?

Agree about the bar, I can make some tests removing stuff. OK @jim?

Yes, let’s try

I know at the moment there is only 1 landingpage possible. It would require adjustments from discourse code to achieve a more flexible landingpage setting.
I imagined to have more than 1 landingpage option available by discourse.
Example:
A new user joins the community. In order to get a familiar environment (most new members are familiar with traditional forums) a ‘categories view’ is set for this user.
After some time in the community, for instance after 20 posts, the default view will be set automatically to latest view.

Again, this would require a change in discourse code and should be made available by discourse devs.