What about Plex Server addon in the software center?

everybody here is free to install and configure and share their code… I see only people asking for features :smile:

I never said I use NS as a firewall and domain controller

moreover, I think we should focus on the business side of development, meaning that the “homeserver” features are, IMVVVHO, not important or relevant

1 Like

Plex would be a great optional addon. In my case I use Nethserver as a file server and a backup server (two separate instances). The file server holds pictures and movies. It also has a mysql server and database. I have a RPi2 running OpenELEC (Kodi) to watch TV and to play movies off the file server. Kodi also connects to the mysql database on the file server to keep all the content centralized.

My Win 7 MCE computers connect to the file server as well, for both pictures and movies.

2 Likes

But keep in mind the target small business, it’s mean a relatively small activity, a relatively small IT team and ressources ( financials ressources)…

The admin, or advanced users can try Nethserver for homeuse before trying in the business for various reason ( hobby, less risky…).

I sincerly think that it could be a strategy for Nethserver growing.

at home you can try whatever you want

at work, with HW nowadays available and things like esxi (there’s a customized version running with no problems on latesh HP microserver) or proxmox, you can have many VM running different services…

even if NS can run as a homeserver, I’d like to see it in a enterprise perspective… otherwise there are dozens of available distro out there

1 Like

And you’re using always the NethServer shared folders for that, right? Is Kodi scanning directly them?
Looks like a great solution

Actually, I setup NFS for Kodi and wrote that How-To, Win 7 MCE uses the shared folders.

Please remember Nethserver is like a hamburger, you add what you like to it.
So Plex Server would be the ketchup on my burger! Samba would be my onions and so on…
:smile:

For example ClearOS uses a free community version for home users, then you have the Professional and Enterprise Paid Versions and you can add hundreds of add on apps some free some paid. They have PLEX Server as a add on and it works great! Let’s do the same here…
Just my 2 cents…

please, re read my last post :wink:

If you add PLEX you would not need a Kodi server, Most smart TV’s now a days have the plex app as a add on to the smart tv menu. I use 3 Vizio tv’s in my home and it works great!

Then we need just Plex Server on NethServer and we could manage it using an android/iPhone app, it worth a try :smile:
Does anyone want to take on this challenge?

i’m thinking about it some days ago… honestly i’m not too much interested in plex package, but i’m searching for something to package :grin:
maybe plex could be a good a good training (i hope not too much difficult ) to create others packages (waiting for the irc dev session…)
if no other is interested, i could try, but don’t expect a fast result… i’m not a dev, as all here i’ve not so much free time, and the test/qa for now has priority :wink:
if someone else is interested no problem, i will search other :slight_smile:

Are you sure do you need a package for it?
The installation is really really simple:

yum localinstall https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca/plexmediaserver-0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca.x86_64.rpm
config set plexmediaserver service TCPPort 32400 access private status enabled
signal-event firewall-adjust
service plexmediaserver start

And now just my two cents: I don’t like an rpm which is 280MB!!

4 Likes

ahahah that’s cool! Great shot @giacomo :smile:

a good reason to make a package :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
ok ok i willl search something else :smile:

I got plex running, but I can’t acess folders I had created on samba, can you explain how this would be done. Also from the web panel in plex I can’t see the folders also.

/var/lib/nethserver/home/ I can’t see the folders I have in samba group movies tvshows etc…

Plex needs permission to access the folders where data is going to be stored like a movies folder
a tvshows folder etc…

help!

Thanks

See when a package is written all this is done automatically and we don’t have to do it via command line and hope we don’t break the system…

It seems to be more of a samba config issue. I know in some distros, namely Zentyal; when a user setup shares they can see all shares and everyone elses home directories but couldn’t access them. In NethServer, you can only view YOUR home folder, and shares YOU have permissions to access. All others are not view-able.

I’m not that weel verse in samba, to know which config option needs to be changed or added. It would need to be changed/added not only to the samba config file but also the template file in /etc/e-smith/… directory as well.

Has anyone got plex working on there nethserver yet? If so can you please write a HOWTO
The above script works to install it, but you can’t access folders, you can’t see folders in samba that are shared if you try adding a user as plex it says there is already one on the system but you can’t access it. It says not to install as root. etc … ugh!

I can make an attempt at it. I’ll let you know what I find.

o.k. thanks

OK, so I believe I got it to work.

1. Remove whatever plex media server you currently have installed and remove any plex users you have. This is so we can start from scratch.

2. Follow these brief instructions and report back you findings. If successful (or after a bit of troubleshooting) I may convert this to a quick HowTo.

A. Login to NethServer
    B. Create a new user named plex with access to the appropriate share folders. I gave plex ‘domadmin’ access for simplicity of testing.
    C. Create a password for plex
    D. Login to a terminal shell and become root sudo -i
    E. Execute the following to download the latest plex media server addition: wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca/plexmediaserver-0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca.x86_64.rpm
    F. Install plex media server: yum localinstall plexmediaserver-0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca.x86_64.rpm
    G. Now we add plex media server as a service and a network service:
    config set plexmediaserver service status enabled
    mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/db/configuration/defaults/plexmediaserver
    echo "service" > /etc/e-smith/db/configuration/defaults/plexmediaserver/type
    echo "enabled" > /etc/e-smith/db/configuration/defaults/plexmediaserver/status
    and we signal the new service with: signal-event runlevel-adjust
    Add the network service: config set plexmediaserver service TCPPort 32400 access private status enabled
    Inform NS about the update: signal-event firewall-adjust
    H. And finally, start plex: service plexmediaserver start

The problem I believe you are having is that the user plex was added as a local user when the rpm was installed, thus when you tried adding the user plex to NS you couldn’t because it already existed. When you add a user to NS, you add it to LDAP and not locally. If you add a user locally, that user will not be able to access any network shares. These instructions add plex first but to LDAP using NS. During the install of plex media server, it complains about the plex user already existing but that’s OK; we want it to. During my test I added plex as a DOMADMIN, all my DOMADMIN users have access to all shares, that eliminated any sharing issues I may have but you’ll need to add plex to all your shares with however you have it setup.

4 Likes