What about Docker on NethServer 7?

Perhaps should be listed into /etc/shorewall/interfaces

To simplify, we could start by assuming Docker is not available on gateway servers!

This point isn’t quite clear to me, do we need to move Docker support to 7 only?

Yep! It seems we can only play with old Docker versions on 6!

NethServer rule #1: follow upstream :wink:

1 Like

yes i’m in server-only mode…
tnx for the hint… with a new search i found

and
https://github.com/pixelated/pixelated-platform/issues/44
last post, but on centos6 in /etc/sysconfig/docker, other_args instead of DOCKER_OPTS.
now finally the owncloud container can contact the ldap on host…
but i need to study/evaluate docker for work so i think i’ll start to do some test on centos7
1 Like

Do you remember? NethServer 7 alpha1 is waiting for us :wink:

Good, please keep us in touch if you like to move forward on NethServer 7 could be really helpful.

yes i remember, the vm is up and running (i like the alpha/beta stage :grin: ) ready to test docker… one info on nethserver rule #1:
on centos7 i can install docker from:
1: Docker (recompiled from RHEL 7) is included in the CentOS-Extras repository (docker.x86_64-1.7.1-108)
2: a more up to date version of docker, on the virt SIG repository (docker-1.8.1-5.git32b8b25)
3: from docker repo (docker-engine-1.8.1-1)
so the preferred way on nethserver shoud be the 1st option, right?
and… there also other rules? :slight_smile:
tnx

1 Like

I’d prefer the one from RHEL.

I don’t know why the virt SIG has its own QA process and provide a more recent version. The point is what does the SIG compile? RHEL or Docker?

…and of course there are other rules (and exceptions), I love exceptions :grin:

I was hoping Docker will be in NethServer
I’m exploring Docker these days (doing a Online Course)
Rancher give a nice interface and propose apps : http://docs.rancher.com/rancher/latest/en/quick-start-guide/

Looks amazing. Managing Docker in a easy way would be awesome. How are your test going?

BTW happy to see you still around man.

Ya! I was missing the dynamic of this community :wink:
But all my works and clients are on .DEB
For now Rancher sound a great working alternative of what they try to do with the Docker 1.12 and their UCP.

I’ll see, until the end of the month I have to convince one of my client to switch from Proxmox (KVM LXC) to Docker+Rancher which is able to manage Docker + KVM.

1 Like

@davidep do you have any plan on this? Could making docker deployment easy be our new 7 goal?

No plans for it until Final has been released.

1 Like

After a few experiences with Docker on and off with CoreOS, RancherOS, Debian & Ubnutu
Digging into Forum and HowTo, …
Some people consider and do it on this way…
At the beginning I thought they were a bunch of fools, but with time, I adopted this technique mainly for security purposes.

• So… the Ubuntu Community propose to run Docker into LXD
  • Some hardcore Docker users turn Docker into Docker
  • And finally what I think might be a good direction for NethServer is to run Docker into a KVM.
    In that case; you demilitarize your docker images and keep a layer between those images that are not always trustableéwell-known and your data hosted on NethServer.

For example: I’m mounting some directories into some dockers through NFS via an exclusive internal interface.

If you choose this way, it’s way less maintenance for the Neth Team
and way more secure :wink:
That was my 2 cents on this topic; I hope you like it!

4 Likes

Thanks for your advice, I think that docker will be a killer application for our next release! We have to think the best approach for NethServer, trying to keep things as simple as possible

Please keep hanging around, you won’t regret it.

1 Like

On an inverted Docker note, there is an offical centos 7 dockerfile (container) on Docker Hub.

https://hub.docker.com/_/centos/

This would mean that you could install Nethserver in a docker container using a centos installation method. This also allows for the possibility of developing our own Nethserver containers for distribution.

Oh, wait… post is for nothing. Looks like this has already been toyed with…
https://hub.docker.com/r/nethserver/docker-demo/

That’s the demo of NethServer running on the official Demo running on Docker – NethServer
We have plans to work on docker after the final release of NethServer 7.

Not sure i’m following the same idea of @Walter_Schoenly
But just in case KVM into Docker exemple :

1 Like

Have somethings moved in the meantime?

I’m experimenting Docker in 7 with little integration with standard Community release (some tweaks with shorewall and some with default values but quite fine). At the moment I have all the stuff manually set up, trying to get this working with NextCloud (no avail for the moment).

Also, do you plan to have a GUI? (I have seen there’s a cockpit-docker package but I didn’t check it out toroughly). I would advice Portainer as a GUI, if cockpit is not going to be ok with 7.

3 Likes