Weekly welcome to new members - 29 Aug 16

Hello NethServer Family! :family:
that’s last welcoming post of August and this is a brand new week full of new challenges and opportunities. How are you feeling? Good? Excited? Motivated? Sleepy? That’s ok, I’m sleepy too. :sleeping:

Me and my friend @robb have just finished our Community Strategy training course, so we have a lot of projects coming up at NethServer! To get started, here is a very short survey that will be helpful in ensuring this community is as useful as possible. Please be sure to answer all the questions if possible. Thanks

Now lets welcome everyone that joined the group in the last week. Every Monday I personally welcome our new blood asking them to feel immediately comfortable and prepared to post about what they are looking for or what they need help with. :wink:

Please comment below and tell us:

• What you’re working on?
  • Who are you?
  • What brings you to NethServer?
  • Do you have already installed it?

Looking to you:

• @prandini - Paolo Prandini - Italy
  • @juanma - Juan Matos - USA
  • @ptanser - Peter Tanser - UK
  • @BestsportsUS - Billyso - Chine
  • @stojovski - Stojovski
  • @stiaan - stiaan
  • @MianLewis - Mian Lewis - United States
  • @Bart - Bart - Netherlands
  • @radams - Robert Adams
  • @radul - Radu Draia - Romania
  • @chofo1979 - Rodolfo Prieto - Guatemala
  • @nnadmin - Michael Lee - Australia
  • @jimmy.ptca - Jimmy Godbout - Canada

Well, if everyone is looking for some new blood then how about this to sink your teeth into?

My name is Chuck Kuntz and I am from the USA. I have been involved with IT in one way or another for over 25 years including programming, QA testing, software design, and computer support. For about the last 14 years I’ve had a side business providing desktop and server support for a small group of customers that has included Windows Server, ClearOS and Nethserver’s cousin SME Server. In fact, back when dial up internet was all the rage I even ran an e-smith server for my home. So I guess I’ve seen a bit over the years :slight_smile:

Which brings me to why I’m here exploring Nethserver. Back when e-smith was turning into SME server and development seemed to be stagnating, I upgraded my home server to ClarkConnect/ClearOS. That product (and its hardware) has served me well for for the last 8 years or so, but alas updates are no longer available and the hardware is getting ancient. It is time for an upgrade!

I’m not impressed with the direction ClearOS has gone in with either their product or website. It’s just not as easy to use as it once was and using the community edition means basically being a beta tester with forced updates every two years. While searching for an alternative I came across an article containing a favorable review of Nethserver and though I would give it a look. So far, I really like what I see. Solid product and a good helpful community.

Nethserver 7 is running in a VM right now as I play around with some of it’s functions, patiently wait for beta 2 and attempt to get ZFS and CentOS to play nice with each other. So far CentOS isn’t loading the ZFS stuff early enough in the boot process so my mounting of /var fails. Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn’t be any fun…

A big THANK YOU to all the people who worked to make the product what it is today, and hopefully I will be able to contribute back in some way.

Chuck

5 Likes

2 Likes