Weekly welcome to new members - 19 Sep 16

Good mondaaay NethServer Family,
How are you? Why so serious? Let’s put a smile on your face. :smile_cat:
Because this week I will be extremely happy to share with you some great stuff and news about our project!

And most of all, I have to welcome 42 new faces that have joined the family last week (Yes folks, you hear me! 42!) because every Monday I personally welcome our new blood asking them to feel immediately comfortable and prepared to post about what they are looking for or what they need help with. Feel safe, don’t be shy, we’re a family.

Please comment below and tell us:

• What you’re working on?
  • Who are you?
  • What brings you to NethServer?
  • Do you have already installed it?

Looking to you:

1 Like
  • What you’re working on?

I’m a Sofw. Eng. working in full-time into my small company who sells
ICT services and support to customers (small/mid. size companies).

• Who are you?

Fernando from Angola

• What brings you to NethServer?

Want use Nethserver to offer to support to customers and prepare a
Nethserver related curses to future sys. admins.

• Do you have already installed it?

Yes the release 6.8 and now working w/release 7.x.

2 Likes

@fcarvas are you a lucky guy! We started to develop a course for NethServer. It will take a while to have it ready, but if you want to help out, feel free to join the discussion

To all other new members o_O 42!!! AMAZING! Welcome all. I hope you all feel at home here.

2 Likes

WOW! It’s really great to know that there are a lot who came to know NethServer! Everyone, we are looking forward to hear from you! Remember, there are no dumb questions and everyone is encourage to chime in their ideas!

I would also like to add, where you’ve come to know about NethServer. This will let us know where we are doing better in spreading the word and, perhaps, make it better.

1 Like

I’m a mechanical engineer that moonlights as the reluctant IT person for me and my wife’s small web design/application development company. I’m constantly trying to find the best infrastructure for our office that won’t break the bank nor make me want to pull out what little hair I have left.

Nate from Pittsburgh, PA

A combination of trying to find the server for my small office along with the desire to familiarize myself with Linux distributions in general. Being a mechanical engineer that’s worked in the corporate world all my (very brief) career, I’ve been stuck using Windows. I’m ready to try something new. Also, I’m tired of my wife and her software engineer friends making fun of me for having no experience with Linux. I need some nerd cred!!

Yes, I’ve installed NethServer 6.8 on an old Compaq Presario desktop (no idea what type of Intel processor, 4 GB RAM, tiny HDD) and it’s running well. I’ve created a small LAN of 4 or 5 computers (mix of various Windows versions clients and a PeppermintOS client). Next step: I want to install Piler and use it to archive my emails from my mail server on a VPS.

2 Likes

Ehi Nate,great to hear from you! You’re in the right place if you want to become a Linux nerd :slight_smile:
we have many friends here that can help you to be on the right track.

I suggest starting from these great topics by @enzoturri and read our howtos and guides

Interesting! We have already an opened feature request

1 Like

Hello ! i’m a quiet man :slight_smile: Yep, i live in Gabrovo, Bulgaria.
Well i`m as3/java dev. with basic php,html,js knowledge, have interests in network/data security solutions also. I have 6.8 (local web server) and Beta 2 (local mail server + POP3 connector) behind Cyberoam NGFW, so many DNS Request are categorized as DoS attack and i decide to ask some help for that. I really like NethServer, my needs are not more than existing features for now.
Best Regards !

Thanks Beras for breaking the ice from Bulgaria :slight_smile:
how is beta going? What are your feelings? How can we improve it?

Do you mean that Cyberoam thinks that DNS request originating from NethServer are DoS attacks?
It may be related to the fact that the antispam software does a lot of DNS queries.
Do you have more details about Cyberoam?

Yes, i`m not sure - there is no reason why, i can see the log message only
(it was in firewall section). My playground is behind CR15ING appliance.
Best Regards !