Webtop vs sogo thinking

found it re-reading the 3ad… what about it? is it in the task list?

This looks quite an old post from @filippo_carletti

we have plans to release a public viewable beta of WT5 very shortly.

3 Likes

well, I re-quoted it because, IIUC, in NS7 sogo has been replaced (or, at least, it won’t be directly supported)

I was referring to the “upgrade/migration” path, which is interesting for people using NS6 with sogo (and maybe joined to an AD DC…) that will move to NS7…

it’s not a trivial point, IMO

We already have scripts for importing calendars and contacts from SOGo to Webtop:

3 Likes

I hope thuis doesnt quote your whole post, I mean to reply to the part where you ask what holds people back from using wt instead of a regular mail client.

Users. Users who are used to a certain setup, and resilliant to change, and in management positions. I had to be able to provide outlook support. Please don’t drop Sogo the upcoming releases … my keyusers won’t die that fast.

I do worry when technology companies drop any and all support to key technologies / software with little concern for their existing customers, especially if the software has been supported for a long duration of time.

Whilst I understand that some of these technologies have become ‘long in the tooth’ (and maybe not be supported any more by the original developers) and competing software may have improved, more modern features and improved user interfaces, my concern would be with end-users that are accustomed to said tech.

Dropping accomplished software may mean that the organisation (that has been using this software for a long duration) may now have to make a heavy investment in time and expense within retraining / reskilling their base users and support staff.

Also I do understand that there maybe a need to drop certain software due to new security concerns (then there should be some effort to examine and demonstrate / explain these security issues to the existing user base), but in the case of SoGo, there are no security issues that should be a threat.

Sure, introduce alternative software that could be used in-conjunction (or could be used to replace) with the existing tech and encourage the base users / organisations to make the transition to the new technologies but I think it would upset many existing users and give NS a negative reputation if it is decided to drop certain key end-user based applications.

2 Likes

I tend to agree with @medworthy. Fortunately we have @mark_nl who maintains the Sogo module now. But beside the huge effort, I realy have my doubts about the webtop project. It has been 3 months since we were promised a public preview of WT5. WT5 was supposed to be THE groupware option for NS7. Now NS7 is final but no WT5.
Maybe it is time the webtop devs come clean and give a clear roadmap. Otherwise my opinion is that we drop webtop and revert to SOGo as official groupware solution, even if it means we have to build the packages ourselves.

2 Likes

Is it possible to have some sort of poll / survey that could examine which groupware frameworks / apps that are commonly used by existing NS users (as well as the types of environments which these frameworks are used within)?

2 Likes

Webtop5 is coming to NS7, and you will be all invited to start playing with it very shortly.
Starting from here, we will be able to further develop the whole platform.

Last but not least, It’s not Webtop vs Sogo, because they’re two completely different platform and approaches.
I bet most of you use Sogo as a backend to other clients, not the web application.
Webtop aims to replace traditional clients (still giving the option to use them) featuring more collaboration options on the web platform.

Gabriele

Hi @gabriele_bulfon. Thanks for the answer, but I still don’t see a roadmap. I think that a clear roadmap with beta, RC and Final release planning is in place. Can you shed some light on that? IMO ‘shortly’ is not good enough. 3 months ago it was also ‘shortly’, so what do you mean with ‘shortly’?

We switched our wt4 to wt5 internally in Sonicle one month ago to check enough usability is available before a public release.
February should the month for the community, but this can be better stated by the NS guys.

2 Likes

This is good news indeed. Can you point us to the repository where we can find the sourcecode? Or isn’t wt5 being open sourced?
And to add another VERY important thing: user and admin documentation. Can you at least give that?

1 Like

I join my request to that of @robb
The source code/ installation package
Roadmap and a strategy are also required, keeping your project in the dark will be of no good to us.

1 Like

I think this has been already stated somewhere on the Community threads: sources are on GitHub, pushed from our daily internal git repositories.
At the moment, last push to GitHib is around 11 November 2016, because we did a big refactor on maven projects structures, and we will need to rework GitHub to reflect our new internal git.

Link here: https://github.com/sonicle-webtop

So, ATM, all the questions have “shortly” or “will” as an answer.
Even if you’ll release it tomorrow, it can’t be the main groupware app, because no one knows anything
Regarding the poll… WT was not a community choice, I doubt that a community poll would change things

1 Like

I don’t like this sentence at all! :thumbsdown: It does not sound constructive!

2 Likes

Well, it’s the truth…
What’s wrong with it?

1 Like

I believe the opposite: we are here to change the things.

In a constructive manner, please.

1 Like

Being constructive means we must be all on the same wave?

WT was not choosen by the community, sogo development is delegated to the community (no direct support from main/nethesis devs)

WT ATM is just a “maybe”, people is asking because NS7 is out and maybe some of them have to take decisions…
Which is the non contructive issue bere? My comments? Clarification requests? The vague answers?

1 Like