We need to change our behaviour here at NethServer Community

IMHO, the objective of developing Nethserver and the information of Nethserver is the key to attract me to this community.

As for beginning, I need to understand how to use Nethserver and the community is giving a lot of information on how-to install, configure and troubleshoot Nethserver. Besides that, the administrator manual is quite helpful too.

After getting familiar with Nethserver, I may need to have more advanced feature and I hope to develop it by myself instead of submit a feature request and the new developed feature can be contributed back to community. This is where the development information is useful. I have gone through the Nethserver developer guide and it is a good place to start with.

I have to say, the current Nethserver team has done a great job in getting member to be more active, thumbs up.

I believe more organized and refined category of the information and a technical forum may help to get me more involved with the community.

Currently we can see information is categorized in support, how-to, development and etc. In my opinion, it is good to have sub categories such as Firewall, Email, File Sharing and etc. for each of these main categories mentioned above. This is to make information searching more easy for members. As for how-to information, I think it is good to have a template or format to write a how-to, some information such as Nethserver version should be included.

I think it is good that if Nethserver can set up a technical forum consist of a group of gurus that can give technical advice or even some tutorial for the members who like to develop something base on Nethserver. This may help to bring up more new developers to strengthen the future development of Nethserver.

Personally, I don’t have much problem with English as the language for the community. Instead of having a category of my own language, I will be glad to have a category of my own country where I can communicate with the “Nethserverian” of my country :).

4 Likes

Ehi Chong glad to see you here and thanks for chipping in

Which howto or post did you find more helpful? I wish to collect some links to highlight to newcomers.

:thumbsup:

I’m not a fan of subcategories, currently we’re using tags to do the job but they are optional so people forget to fill them out. I think it’s worth a new topic I’d love to hear from someone on that

I have to said that I am very sensitive to this topic, we have discussed it several times:
How involve more developers?
Explaining e-smith layer - learning by doing
Start learning developing
Workbench to learn the development process

Please check these links above I’d love to hear your thoughts on that at some point. Gurus are already here :slight_smile: Feel free to ask opening a new topic

You’re not the first who have raised the issue, @EduardoGCorrea told me the same a few days ago
I think a topic in Chat would be enough for the moment. Do you want to know just Malaysian people like @james24 ?

2 Likes

@alefattorini
Hello good Morning. so if you had a topic so for my language would be better to understand, I saw a topic that was not allowed.
I just installed nethserver as a proxy server here at the company where I work, I liked it, it is super simple to set up. I’ve been reading quite topics to set up well it, and so far no problems.
The big problem here is our about proxy control, and the only report possible take WEB is with ligthsquid if I had the option I would be glad SARG.
I do not know much about linux, my improvement is WEB, so php programmer, if you need something of my ability I’m here to help.
Note: my English is very bad, I’m using google translator

1 Like

IMHO the nethserver community is too small for subforums in different
languages and I guess nobody cares if your english isn’t perfect. I’d
like to be more involved but my job as a project planner doesn’t give me
much free time. I’ll keep on testing new NS7 releases and speak up when
I think my opinion or experiences are important (as on the POP3-Connector).
So as far as I’m concerned there isn’t anything that should be changed.

3 Likes

Hi Allessandro. My native language is spanish

Bem-vindo à Tribo Nethserver!

I also used the translator of Google and to get rid of this dependence I worked very hard

and now…

… I’m using the translator Yandex.

hehehe it’s novel, different, handles convenient tabs.

Hey I think that @Paulo_Rodrigues and @alexcsilva can help you with the language.

On the other hand I’m in the same with the Spanish speakers, and opened up a conversation with something more than 21 partners in addition to the guests of other languages. The Shaman @alefattorini is also in that group, and is studying alternatives for the different languages. And my paisano @jgjimenezs is the @translations_team lider. This is a great team.

A very good alternative can be a blog, that place where there is the opportunity to open topics by language … or mix them up!, as in a Tower of Babel. The difference to Babel would be, as a tribe digital who we are, we have the technological tools and the momentum collective to continue the construction of the free knowledge without barriers or limitations for the language.

Greetings from Caracas, Venezuela.

4 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Some tests with Skype web translator

English is also not my mother language and I started some years ago. I prefer to translate only missing words instead to translate the full sentence. I us dict.cc. With the time I improved and this in my age :smirk:

4 Likes

I can agree with you but we’re not so small, spanish and portuguese/brazilian tribes are quite active here.
I’m just wondering if a section in Spanish could help, we might use it to discuss :

• end-user questions
  • know each others
  • organize local meetups

I need a moderator for this section who can help people and recap or move questions in English, @apradoc would help in this case. I’d like to make people more comfortable and at ease with their own language.

That’s the real truth! Using NethServer every day and facing problems is really important to increase your experience and consequently your activity here. I guess many people just test it and don’t need to sort out REAL problems.

2 Likes

Why is Sarg better than Lightsquid? Please open a new topic in the Feature category so we can discuss it

No worries, we understand you very well.

3 Likes

May change my mind later but I see a language/regional based section under a chat, and translations categories (the latter for translation teams) categories may fit, but most other sections should be kept in English.

Regional support sections will restrict the number of possible supporters.

Letting us post in our language and having the translators team or regional moderators translate into English might be manageable for a short period of time, but as community grows this might turn unfeasible.

A plugin that:

• translates a post into English, adding a note like: post auto-translated, and a link to switch to the original content (Show original text)
  • let moderators amend auto-translated text
  • let users view the contents in any language (translate this into…[choose your language]), translating it from any of both sources (original post language or English)

could be a middle-way solution.

@alefattorini, I wonder if a discourse translation plugin is running on this forum, as while reading some post in Portuguese it turned into English. For me it was easier to understand the post in Portuguese than the translated version.

@alefattorini, keep and eye on the discourse forum. There are multiple threads about translation/multilanguage forum going on, for instance:

1 Like

OMG it’s awesome!

I like it a lot for the work of the forum. However, it is very important that the knowledge base in the wiki continue to be translated into multiple languages from a certified source in English, as you do @dnutan

I say this because there are a few Caciquitxs who are not yet enrolled and would prefer to “see the bulls from the barrier”. Surely a wiki in your language would help them to take that step, even more so with this translation tool.

Excellent find, brother!

@alefattorini: you think if we ask for this gift to Santa? :santa:

2 Likes

I can agree with you on it. What do you think to take a crack at it just in the Chat chat category?
Some people are able to start topics there in their own language:

Any other language? Indian ( @Kolli_vasu @saikrishnavedaraju ) or Francais ( @stephdl @loic ) or Russian ( @Artem_Voylenko) ?

I’m trying to see if Discourse-Translator++ is workable, thanks for your hints.

3 Likes

I agree with @dnutan . If regional support added to chat then English would be more preferable because if I am not wrong in India most of the technical information is shared through English only.

@alefattorini other than English, Hindi can be added.

2 Likes

great news

Agree on that. Documentation and wiki in as many languages as possible.

Let’s do it!

1 Like

Instagram and Whatsapp incorporated translations online publications and messages

1 Like

Let’s give it a try

1 Like

It’s not translated!!!
( at least by mail)

Jim

Not yet. I’m working on it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello good morning , sorry for the delay.
Anyway, is not that the SARG is better, it is that with the SARG have another option to view the report access for my users.
like the time he was in a certain site , among others,
the LIGTHSQUID provides a very basic report .
Good even if I had to customize , do a search of denied sites , the most accessed sites and etc.

1 Like