We need to change our behaviour here at NethServer Community

What do think about such wiki?
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php

Yes, for now it’s hidden
 But with a little more, work, it will be shiny

a simple menu in the top of discourse could be enough, @alefattorini what about of this

5 Likes

It is a good starting point. I know you guys already had one :wink: I’ve seen also some materials more or less ready.

Done, you’re welcome :smile:

1 Like

Thank your for your words, especially I like your mention of the “human factor” :relieved:
For me, we should just encourage the behaviour we want to see and keep doing it.
We need to create a strong sense of community and this should be a place where feel comfortable discussing the most difficult, geekiest, or most hardcore topics in our space :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are always in time to redeem you :slight_smile: we miss you here,
Seriously, thanks for your words I very appreciate it, you’re always too generous!

I totally agree with you, Easy-to-follow and simple (as “less technical”) guides are currently super important and very requested by several people, so everyone is welcome to step forward and lend a hand with it.

Hi guys

I’m returning from other worlds :open_mouth:

About the Project School Intranet with Nethserver i can still salvage some points and advantages to apply with the support of our OS.

The server template has been redefined with Proxmox VE. As UTM they are using PFsense, but at some point pfsense compared with Nethserver for this role. The reason for the choice PFsense, among others, the developer likes FreeBSD. (Note : The developer resigned , so the project is under our responsibility in the Project Coordination Office)

Well tribe. I 've been away but not far . :innocent:
Finally a colleague lent me a workstation to mount my little test NS at home and review it from the P4 so I’ve used so far.
I know that in this construction have not been alone, but other obligations called me and I had to be away for a moment.
I’m back. I hope the Nethserverians forces :sunglasses: from “Punto Fijo” @jgjimenezs manifest again to fight with Debian hypnosis :dizzy_face: that predominates in my city , Caracas.

Greetings and blessings

1 Like

Please let me know bout your tests, I’d like to see your more involved here :slight_smile: you can make this community and project awesome. How can we convince your colleagues?

1 Like

This is really interesting. We thought of virtualizing NethServer also on our deployments to better use the resources on a high-level server, but this never happened until now because our servers hasn’t been high level mainly :wink: but I cannot exclude this would happen in the future.

This reminds me of another project, where they wanted to use NethServer as authentication/authorization endpoint and ZeroShell for the network part (the person in charge of this needs to manage thin access-points which can be configured quite easily with ZeroShell). We are working to collaborate with this people, so if all will be good I will contact you for sure :wink:

1 Like

A bit off-topic but I’m super-interested in :slight_smile:
Please keep us in touch opening a new topic! :grinning:

I want to bump this discussion! Because there are still many expert readers here ïżŒ like
@mepata @ibinetwork @Greg @sraellis @pelo @xcod @Renan_Azedo_de_Olive @tchenier @vasya @acsel10
They know pretty well our community (reading a lot of posts!!) and I’d like to hear also their voice!

@telekomiker sorry for the late response, how is it going in Germany?
@Flint do you need a hand with adding email to your server?

Thank you for invitation to this discussion.
First regarding to your words about logged in vs. active (posting) members ratio. Have you ever ponder It can origin from there are so many helpful topics here, so they simply found what they need and so it doesn’t found it necessary to write anything (except polite reply to your kind welcome message for new members)? It is only indication you are on the right way guys - the more helpful and solved topics are here the more “passive” members you get - be proud of you.

This community is one of the best I ever logged in to. All team here is very helpful and they are anticipating to reply to your post so sometimes you get the same response from 3 persons in the same moment :smiley:

Some members are feeling uncomfortable because of lack of english. I don’t think this should be issue. Have you ever read some microsoft tech article when the webpage force you to read it “translated” to your native language? Awful. But if somebody like Microsoft can use this type of translation, why not you if you are not comfortable with english? Why should you feel ashame because of it if Microsoft not? I don’t think there is need for long essays, I suppose in most cases polite “Hello guys, I need help. I installed NS7, install this module, click here and get this error. Print screen and log attached. Please help. Thank you very much.” is enough. Trust me. Or you can use some pictures if not comfortable with english like @alefattorini do :wink:

Don’t worry, this team will support you:

You were talking about some how-to’s or wiki. Personally I like Mikrotik wiki - wiki.mikrotik.com
There are so many manuals and simply how-to’s like this one (for inspiration): http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/VPN_(any_type)_between_2_Mikrotik_routers_and_no_static_IP_addresses

5 Likes

Yes, I don’t have much time too. But I am taking in note, I am getting something from this team for FREE now. They can say the same “I don’t have time for you” but they don’t. So giving them a feedback, test some new features and functionality, giving suggestions for improvement is at least we can avenge them with for their effort :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

3 Likes

You’ve raised a good point of language being a potential barrier. Having worked for a company which had a presence in 30 different countries and English (which was the “common” language for communication) being the either the 2nd, 3rd language (or even 4th or 5th language in some cases) and usually the ability to read English was better than their ability to write or speak it which also brought up issues of confidence as well.

For me, it begs the question and the challenge: How can we create an environment which helps people who find English a challenge to have the confidence to contribute?

I know for myself, it is a case of carefully phrasing the posts that I make so that the language, terms and phrases used would hopefully be understood by the majority.

2 Likes

I can tell that I understand over 95% when I read or listen in English.
Because I don’t speak or write often in English, I use Google Translate to verify myself.
I hope that what I write on this forum is well understand by everyone. If not, please be indulgent and patient. Of course, if you realy want my opinion and if don’t mind, please ask for clarification.:blush:

@GG_jr, a bit patience, Google Translate and clarification question are good things to have in many scenarios! :wink:

1 Like

I see your point! It might be a good explanation of this behaviour, we have so many good readers around:
http://community.nethserver.org/badges/125/bronze-reader
I always hope they step up and jump directly into the action, as you know participation counts.
The conversations we have here set the tone for everyone. Help us influence the future of this community and the product by choosing to start (and engage in) discussions that make this community an interesting place to be!

Someone calls it “Time to comfort” the faster community members become comfortable and the faster begin to engage :slight_smile:

I know, I already tried to explain my point of view, here and here
I’m still open to suggestions

My answer is: make people comfortable and make them feel safe. We should help reduce the discomfort with a different language.

Has been somebody ever mock or punished because of his level of English knowledge here? I don’t think so. It is only lack of self-confidence in this, but without a real reason I think. In my opinion, everybody here are doing their best, so if the English is the issue in some topic, they are asking for clarification or suggest a remote access to server to be able to help. Nobody here is impeccable (except me of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ), and we all know it and try to be understanding and helpful.

@alefattorini Do you think something like national flag next to user avatar will help them to be more self-confident without need for apologizes like “Sorry for my bad English” in their topics?

And I think, something like “log collector” inside NS could help to made support requests. Simply collect logs to one 7zip package, upload it to topic and write simply “I click here and get this”. I think anybody who is able to read and understand to topics here written by others is also able to write something like this.

It’s already there, in your profile :slight_smile:

Yes, I know. But I am thinking about something integrated into avatar like this masterpiece :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: