Useful commands

Written in my secret page : howto:useful_commands [NethServer Wiki]

@translations_team @quality_team @ambassadors_group please help me when you see a nice command line to grow it for the next time.

8 Likes

A shorter phpinfo:

php -i

This would be a great module for an advanced NethServer admin course. After doing a basic course which should educate an admin in installing and maintaining a NethServer instance through the Admin webinterface, the next step is diving into the commandline and get info from the nethserver db command and many more.
I do hope this page gets more commands, both linux/bash and NethServer specific.

2 Likes

I think it would be good if we had a lot of these helps in PDF format so we can add them in our hard copy manuals. What do you think? Perhaps even set up a Documentation site for all those PDF’s.

1 Like

Instead of using netstat in light of the fact it is deprecated in both redhat and debian os_families use ss. To find listeners the command is ss -lt for tcp and ss -lu for udp. Mixing the two is permitted ss -ltu. To show raw port numbers instead of the default services assigned those ports include a -n ie ss -ltn. Want to see the program/pid information? Just add a -p ie ss -ltp. SS is a much more versatile program and there are many tutorials available that go into more detail such as http://www.binarytides.com/linux-ss-command/.

3 Likes

If you are locked out or messed up a linux machine, and you have physical access to the server, you can reboot to root console.
However, you will find everything mounted read only. So you can not do any changes.
To overcome this:

mount -o rw, remount /
This helped me out once.

do you have any link/resource about this?

One need go no farther than “man netstat” in the current nethserver release and skip down to the notes section. Another reference can be found at https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7 “Known Issues” section

Commonly used utilities such as ifconfig/netstat have been marked as deprecated for some considerable time and the ‘net-tools’ package is no longer part of the @core group so will not be installed by default. Use nmcli c up ifname to get your network up and running and use yum to install the package if you really need it. Kickstart users can pull in the net-tools package as part of the install.

1 Like