Upgrading NS 6.8 on live system to 7

Better make that a rock solid procedure. I know ‘that other distro’ has always been struggling with upgrades to new versions. Avoid problems at all cost!

2 Likes

Hi good people
Just checking if any luck on the upgrade from 6.8 to 7?

1 Like

We will work on it after the release of NS 7 stable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FTR, which distro?

1 Like

I guess Something that starts with a “Z” :smirk:

1 Like

Fo those waiting for an upgrade path… it’s time to raise your voice and share your thoughts :innocent: :

3 Likes

Did the upgrade get completed from 6.8 to 7? Can we live upgrade?

1 Like

Not yet, we’re currently working on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for live upgrade to NS7 :wink:

1 Like

Upstream doesn’t support anymore upgrade from 6 to 7:
https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool

And… where’s that leave us?

:unamused: we’ll give it a try, after the backup-restore procedure is finished!

http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=developer:ns7_upgrade#in-place_upgrade

This would be a HUGE ouch if this means that upgrade from NS6x -> NS7.x would mean backup, install from scratch and restore… :confused:

Wake up guys, we are still waiting for a live update from Nethserver 6 to Nethserver 7!! We have a business to run here! Thank you! Otherwise --> please post steps how to upgrade manually. We are talking about security here… You can’t have people reinstall everything on a live system? :frowning:
How to go from here? Nethserver is really great software!!

[mod edit] If you have nothing to add to the discussion, please refrain from posting.

Please, test the backup/restore upgrade procedure! We must be sure it works correctly because it is the base of the live upgrade procedure.

See also Upgrade from NethServer 6 — NethServer 7 Final

I must remark that!

1 Like

Please note that platform security fixes will be available from upstream until November 2020 :wink:

Thanks, David! Always great to get some serious feedback :smiley_cat: It’s a VmWare ESXi 6.5 server where Nethserver 6.8 is running on (so I could ofcourse make a snapshot). Maybe this upcoming weekend I could test it for you guys? It means downtime ofcourse (have to switch cables and such…)… --> Will let you know how things went, can’t wait to run Nethserver 7 here! :smiley:

Ofcourse, but Nethserver 7 means --> CentOS 7, and that’s what we want (to take full advantage of the power of CentOS 7) :slight_smile: But I get where you are coming from! We don’t want sec-holes, at all! :smiley:

1 Like

Ehi Patrick I’m happy to see your strong interest :slight_smile:
Did you test our procedure? Any feedback? We need you to improve it and gather some data

1 Like