Upgrade Nethserver 6.9 to 7 study case

My first clean Time Machine Backup on the Microserver :joy:

Itā€™s without Samba ! I did the old traditional AFP way.

:tada::confetti_ball::fireworks:

I will work with the Samba integration with a virtual machine, less stress.

@discobot Iā€™m happy, did you want a beer? :grin:

I was looking on the ClearOS site, and I find this:

Apparentlyā€¦ thatā€™s work!
With the ea = auto mean that with or without samba

Is the workaround with samba is here /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/samba/smb.conf ?

2 Likes

First of all, congrats @Jim, it seems youā€™ve found a good upstream package!

Do you think integrating it with the samba/shared folders namespace would be valuable? Or you would rather focus on providing the ā€œTime Machineā€ storage?

Apart from Time Machine, can a Mac user access shared folders via SMB today?

Today, a Macos can access a smb share throught the Finder, with the actual Samba implementation.

All the workaround is the Time Machine integration:

• The Macos Sierra Time Machine implemantation need the vfs fruit and Fullsync to work without AFP ( and without Avahi)
    Or
  • We need to find the fine configuration for Samba, AFP and Avahiā€¦AFP need Avahi for mDNS feature and Samba for authentification.

All the difference between the Netalak I compile/made and the Clearos package is the version between the Netatalk 3.1.8 and the 3.1.11 thereā€™s lot of improvementā€¦

Which, if supported by samba on NS, can be achieved with some custom fragments

IIUC Iā€™m afraid Fullsync is still not available from upstream packages. Samba project itself has an open bug.

If we limit AFP/netatalk to a single, well-known, ā€œTime machineā€ special shared folder we could bypass any further integration with Samba. Isnā€™t it?

The link to the RPM you provided points to a Fedora copr repository. You could get in touch with the maintainer and ask him if he can bump to 3.1.11ā€¦ and if he still wants to maintain it! :wink:

Not at allā€¦
In the afp.conf

• There the possibility to create 1 section [Time. Machine] and this folder will be used for all mac os clients

Or
Use the [home] sectionā€¦ in this case each user will use itā€™s own /home shared folder.

Edit:
These parameters are set in the smb.conf and in Afp.conf
Interoperation with Samba

Recent Netatalk and Samba can store metadata in the compatible format.
Using this way, the following access becomes possible.
from Mac to Netatalk
from Mac to Samba
from Windows to Samba

This feature can be used for Fedora and EL7. It can not be used for EL6 because Samba of EL6 does not include vfs_fruit module.

Netatalk
Using ā€œvol presetā€ option, the same configuration is set for all volumes.
Using ā€œea = sambaā€, Extended Attributes become compatible with Samba.
Edit ā€œ/etc/netatalk/afp.confā€.
Ex:
[Global]
vol preset = my default values

[my default values]
    ea = samba

[Homes]
    basedir regex = /home

[Test Volume]
    path = /export/test1

[My Time Machine Volume]
    path = /export/timemachine
    time machine = yes

Samba
Setting various options in [global], the same configuration is set for all shares.
Three vfs objects (catia, fruit and streams_xattr) provide enhanced compatibility with Apple SMB clients and interoperability with a Netatalk.
Using ā€œhide filesā€, the invisible files created via Netatalk are hidden from Windows. Use ā€œhide filesā€, not ā€œveto filesā€.

If you use Fedora 24 or EL7, donā€™t use ā€œfruit:locking = netatalkā€ because it has a bug. This bug is fixed on Fedora 25 and later (Samba 4.5.8).

Edit ā€œ/etc/samba/smb.confā€.
Ex:
[global]
foo = bar
baz = qux
ea support = Yes
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:locking = netatalk
fruit:encoding = native
streams_xattr:prefix = user.
streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no

hide files = /.DS_Store/Network Trash Folder/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/Temporary Items/.TemporaryItems/.VolumeIcon.icns/Icon?/.FBCIndex/.FBCLockFolder/

read only = No

[homes]

[Test Volume]
    path = /export/test1

;[My Time Machine Volume]
;   path = /export/timemachine

I think it could be better to ask him and the Netatalk mail list

I become to start to be crazyā€¦

Yesterday, I just setup a VM Nethserver instance, and setup samba on itā€¦ nothing moreā€¦
No avahi, nothing even.

Andthe MacOS already view all ressources on the network a different way:

Yesterdayā€¦ The Time Machine resource had the same icon as the Backup Microserver recourse!