Unable to activate Domain Controller + Network interfaces in bond

Hello guys,

I’m a rookie at Nethserver. I own a Dell server with two Broadcom network interfaces. When I configure the two interfaces in bond-balance alb mode, I cannot enable the domain controller, it freezes in adjust-services. In/var/log/messages shows an error:

Action: /etc/e-smith/events/actions/adjust-services FAILED: 1 [0.25871]

I can activate the domain controller if I don’t use Bond. The moment the active service, it creates a br0 bridge, it’s working, but without bond.

If I try to make a bridge bond with the second Broadcom interface, the Nethserver gets all locked up. Then I have to go back to the network settings to normalize the system.

What is the correct way to have a bond of interfaces and the domain controller together? Do I need a third network interface on the server?

Just a tought: Any chance you have an extra networkcard laying around? Try to make the bond to NSDC with that extra adapter and use the bond of the 2 onboard adapters to connect NS with your local LAN.

You may have noticed you need to add an extra IP address when you configure the Samba4 AD account provider. This is because the Samba4 AD account provider is running in a seperate container with its own IP address. To make that work, a bridge on a green interface must be created.
My best guess is that creatsing that bridge is not possible with 2 bonded interfaces.

I was looking for some info on this. Have a look at this article on cybercity. It is for Ubuntu, but it might be an option to create something similar for CentOS/NethServer: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-bridging-and-bonding-setup/

As soon I have my new hardware I will try this. I will have 2 1Gb nics and 2 10Gb nics on my server. I will bond the 2 10Gb nics and use 1 1Gb nic for RED interface and 1 Gb nic for NSDC bridge. (and probably using this for IPMI connection)
Probably will need one of these: http://us.dlink.com/us/en/business-solutions/switching/smart-switches/smartpro/dgs-1510-20-20-port-gigabit-smartpro-switch.html

1 Like

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your feedback. I just opted to install a third network card and create a bridge interface for the NSDC. The NSDC is active and running on the br0 bridge.
But I can’t configure the bond0 interface to share files.
How this problem became different from this topic. I opened a new topic in the Forum.

1 Like