Try out NethServer 7 alpha 3!

Good question! I think many others would ask the same. IIUC Both Samba and Microsoft say a public DNS name is preferred:

From Microsoft site:

Using single label names or unregistered suffixes, such as .local, is not recommended.

From Samba site

The domain name should still be a valid domain name

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Naming_FAQ#So_what_should_I_name_my_domain

no more .local :smile:

Please note also that the acronym “pdc” (old NT Primary Domain Controller) does not apply to the Active Directory world.

Moreover, the Domain Controller is not the NethServer itself, but a container, something like a virtual machine, that is assigned the IP address you specify on the “Start DC” web page.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer!

About “pdc”, it’s just a name for the host. Can be any name that can help to identify a machine in the network …
The important thing is the domain name; will be in my case “hostname.abt.ro” instead of “hostname.abt.local”, whatever will be the “hostname”.

We did not mentioned that now green interface with DHCP should be supported for VPS scenarios.

Anyone want to try it? /cc @Nas

See also: https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5032

2 Likes

a first contact with alpha3…

• Nethforge enabled by default but the package is still available in Software Center…

• Scenario 3 on wiki:
    after join page does not refresh (still on Select the users and groups)
    must reclick on User and gropups to see AD Users
    join ok…

• install openvpn
    error screenshot

no more joined to AD

• install FTP
    join to AD still ok
    no AD users on FTP?

• install nethserver-mail nethserver-roundcubemail
    yum error as openvpn
    join to AD still ok
    in Software Center/available there is another “roundcube webmail” marked as uninstalled
    anyway AD users can login to roundcube OK

• install fetchmail… … no fetchmail
    no getmail
    hey where is fetchmail/getmail? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please read here: http://www.nethserver.org/nethserver-7-alpha3-released/

tnx for link, i had read this NethServer 7 alpha 3 released (i think it’s the same…)
what part do you think I should re-read? i miss something?
tnx

Which modules are available for now, what services works for now, …

Are you joined to another AD server?

Which package exactly? For now, only sogo and webvirtmgr appears under the “NethForge” category

I have to check this, I can’t reproduce it right now.

After installing openvpn the machine is not joined to AD? How did you check it?

Yes, it works exactly as 6.7.

Can you please post the relevant part of /var/log/messages?

It’s gone! :smiling_imp:
For now is only a wish but with very very low priority: Replace Fetchmail with getmail · Issue #5021 · NethServer/dev · GitHub

You wish :slight_smile: but we should find a valid alternative for the final, pop3 connector looks very used in 6.7
Received email directly by SMTP isn’t always a possible option, we run the risk of cutting a very popular feature

1 Like

no sorry, my doubt was… if nethforge is enabled by default, why we have this?

ahem was a short test :slight_smile: in effect i don’t know if it is still joined… :smirk: but for sure
in Status > Domain accounts i saw lolcalhost instead something like this

LDAP server: 192.168.100.62
LDAP server name: w2k12.qans.net
Realm: QANS.NET
Bind Path: dc=QANS,dc=NET
LDAP port: 389
Server time: Tue, 24 May 2016 12:55:21 CEST
KDC server: 192.168.100.62
Server time offset: -2
Join is OK

and in Management > users and Groups
i didn’t see anymore AD users/groups
more info in next tests…

i’m sorry never used AD join on 6.7, so FTP (and other services?) will not be able to use the AD auth?

no sorry if i was unclear but email+roundcubemail+JoinAd works… my doubt was again in software center:

i install this:

ad after installation i still have as available this

yes, I imagine that … but not having seen in the deprecated modules list,i was hoping to not hear this very bad news :sob:

yes i saw FTP/openvpn in supported list so i tried to install them

yes

I saw your reply from above.

Today I wanted to continue the tests with NS as AD.
I created two users and I wanted to try to add an Windows 10 PC and an Ubuntu PC on AD but I have a lot of stuff to do. Maybe tomorrow …

Right! Just removed from the comps file, it will be soon in sync on all mirrors.

Users for FTP are separated from system ones. If you really needed it, you can enable access for system users, But this is very very very bad practice, since the password is sent in clear text:
http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7a/ftp.html#system-users

This is odd, I need to investigate it.

Thanks for you tests! :wink:

so i know an upgrade from 6.7 to 7 (as in yum upgrade or through software center) isnt possible, but can i still import a backed up config? not the data, just the config, i would hate to have to setup all the port fowards and rules again lol

1 Like

Yes you can, it’s not tested yet but it should work.
And, of course, it will be supported on the final release.

1 Like

kamakaze time, going to throw it on the home router and test it out then :smiley:

2 Likes

As a heads up for anyone using ebay servers or any hp smart array lower than 410i, the Centos 7 has depreciated them, so to get it working do the following in tty:
rmmod hpsa; modprobe hpsa hpsa_allow_any=1;
this will atleast allow you to install neth7. To boot just throw hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 into grub, and update grub.

1 Like

Second hiccup… during the install, it never asked me what interface I want to use and what rolw to put it as. What all do I need to do with db commands to set this manually?

Something like:
db networks setprop enp0s8 ipaddr 1.2.3.4 role red

Awesome! The main issue is green side, since if I can get that up, all the rest can be done gui side