Template/role base setup wizard after the installer wizard

I would agree with you, but in my experience the “next next next done” approach is always a failure…
I’m quite sure that such an approach is usefull for a skilled user too (easy tool) that knows what it’s going on behind the scene…

but there are “common users too”… how many web servers with wrong permissions did you see during your life?

the point is that as long as your (generally speaking) server is inside your lan and is not reachable from wan and doesn’t connect to wan itself, you’re free to do everything as you prefern, even without knowing anything about web, mail, spam and so on…

in the moment you connect your server to WAN, your server could be a problem of mine, 'cause an hacked server (and with hacked I refer to web applications, not the server itself, that is very, very hard to hack) becomes a enemy for me, you, everybody… and, if you work daily with spam or phishing you’d know what I mean…

NS is easy to setup… install it as a bare system, configure it…
then add what you need (and to choose what you need you have to know, what you need), install the packages (and you have a user friendly UI to do so, so a very easy operation indeed) and configure them… you’re done…

so, in the end, since is ALREADY so easy, why do you (generally speaking) need anything that make it easier?

finally, knowing what you’re doing is necessary NOT when you setup a server, but when you have to debug a problem… and if you take a look on windoze side, the “next next next done” approach has made so many damages that no one here can imagine.

Hi Stefano,
You are right in the sense that click-ing without knowing will make a mess of things.
But let’s not forget that this is a simple step wizard that will present the user the option to configure the server in the correct way from the start.

“NS is easy to setup… install it as a bare system, configure it…”

Configure it … Starting with ??? Users ? or Groups ?
Or with ownClowd … but wait I do not have Networking set up… and also DNS is not set up…
I’ve set up the “Domain” but it does not work… hm… what is missing ?

This is what I’m speaking about. Easy initial configuration.

And “knowing what you’re doing is necessary NOT when you setup a server, but when you have to debug a problem…”. In my opinion you always have to know what you are doing in a server.
If you have little experience you can try and experiment, but with a little help it is even better.

I know that many users do not read the manual (RTFM anyone ? :smile: ) so that does not mean that we should let them without any help.

I’ve told you above, You are right in some points and I agree with you that there are many issues. But that does not mean that we should leave the way they are.

Even without a “wizard” to help new users, You can mess up big time right from the start :smiley:
So why are you so reluctant in giving some help to new users ?

You do know that they will not start to learn linux now, just because we told them that they must know what they are doing :smile:

Best regards
Bogdan

3 Likes

Hi all,

If you don’t mind that I interfered, I think there are two steps here:

1. Install the roles and maybe “even a stupid monkey can”.
  2. Configure the installed roles and maybe never ever “even a stupid monkey can configure a server”.

Kind regards,
Gabriel

1 Like

Hi I want you to see just a proof of concept.
Please let me know what do you think about this.
PS if the server does not display or takes a long time to load the page hit refresh (DNS issues :smile: )

http://asobi.sensitiveconnections.ro/

Best regards
Bogdan

5 Likes

Hi Bogdan,

Good job!
I think it’s very useful even for advanced users not only for beginners.

Gabriel

Uh your idea has deserved a like from @filippo_carletti too, very rare friend :+1:

Thank you guys, :smile: I hope it will be usefull

Loved it, i think the easy of use and presentation was the key to ubuntu’s
rise for example.

So, what’s needed is a wizard such that even a stupid monkey couldn’t screw it up.

Like, you know, installing collectd-web before installing samba.

Who woulda thought you’d need to install samba to serve html asks a stupid monnnkay? :slight_smile:

Hi @ctek, I’d love improving the actual First configuration Wizard in the way described here for the 6.7 Final release.

However I’m concerned about the network setup. Anaconda leaves us a working system in two cases:

• unattended install, where the server received its network configuration from an already existing DHCP server
  • interactive install, where the admin set up the green interface with a gateway

If the admin is installing a Firewall/Gateway probably the network does not work, because the red interface is unconfigured. We must find a way to support this scenario.

My proposal is adding an optional step, let’s name it red configuration. If the Internet is still not reachable after that step, no additional software can be installed and the wizard exits.

Sounds good for me

Yes we can add a check to see if internet is reachable and then present the option.
Otherwise a warning to be displayed “Attention No access to internet!”.

Why not? Could we write down a v1 for this wizard which describe what’s in scope for our initial go at this and what maybe will be done later?

ClearOS has a similar feature in the configuration wizard:

• gateway only
  • stand alone server
  • gateway + server.

Theses rules can be change in the webconfig at anytime…
Theses rules are to activate the firewall or not.

2 Likes

After this work by @giacomo I guess this wizard is becoming more real and doable, what do you think @davidep?
@Jim’s idea isn’t bad, have a first menu like this looks good

As I said during the past community hangout, this proposal is a valuable enhancement.

Anyway I think we don’t have enough time to develop this idea and ship it in 6.7 final. With enhancement #3258 we allow configuring a red interface at the end of the current wizard. At least one step forward!

1 Like

Fair enough, if we can develop it in the future, this will be @ctek’s reaction:

If I well remember, In the Clearos wizard, the network configuration step is before choosing the rules step ( gateway / server only …).

Close enough Alessio, I don’t have a black shirt but I’ll try to be as happy as the guy in the Gif :smile:
If it will make NS better it will be great

Best regards
Bogdan

I’d like to add other proposals for improving the wizard:

• permit to install language packages:
  • restore from backup: