Tell me more about your NethServer installations!

OK

Server: FUJITSU Modell:PRIMERGY TX100 S1
CPU Modell:4 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3220 @ 2.40GHz
8GB RAM 2 x 1.5 TB HDD Raid1
5 Users

Installed Features:

SoGo
owncloud
Samba
Samba Audit
Collectd Graph Panel
Collectd Web
DHCP
DNS and some others

Regards,

Uwe

3 Likes

I’ve got two NethServer community version running at home. The primary is a file server that hosts pictures, movies and recorded tv shows. The secondary is the primary back up server. They replaced two Zentyal boxes where the software was aging and unfortunately (for Zentyal) their software wasn’t going in the direction for what I needed. I haven’t payed too much attention to the servers recently because they just work. I’ve had no issues with file sharing with Samba or NFS. One server has been up for more than 150 days and the backup server has been up for 4. I just discovered that it must have rebooted during a power brown out. I didn’t even notice (inadequate UPS’ at the moment).

I occasionally visit to see how far along NethServer is progressing, I’m hoping to use it to replace my last Zentyal box that’s currently being used as my gateway to the internet. This has a lot of specific tweaks and setting to it; i.e. OpenVPN, PPTP and complex firewall rules. Migrating from Zentyal to NethSrver from this box will be tricky as I have to minimize the down time as much as possible. Unhappy wife is an unhappy life.

Ahaha that’s TRUE man! Thanks for sharing you’re experience is really interesting!
Do you manage servers at work too? Or just at home?

I’m an Admin on a few RedHat servers though I don’t really manage them. That’s handled by another dept. I mostly manage what I have at home. It’s an elaborate setup, 3 wireless AP’s; two Win 7 media centers running MCE (horrible crap they are, trying to move it to RPi2 with OpenELEC). A separate Win 7 PC with Cygwin installed and a Chromebook I mostly use. Debating on building a separate Dev server as I’ve been using my Backup NethServer to build devel builds of OpenELEC and it takes forever to build. Not enough horsepower.

Below a screenshot showing my hardware. I use NS at home where I have one PC running windows 10, one MAC, 2 nodes elastix server cluster. I use NethServer as a true all in one (gateways, file server, mailserver, VPN, ownclod & webserver). I know it is a good practice to separate gateways from other, it is for this reason that I am planning to setup a second NS server that will acts as gateway (I need to find some time to do that though…). I also have a 3TB external hardrive connected to NS where I store all my files.

3 Likes

Great! Are you using this just for home or for bussiness too?
You can leave everything on one hardware, no problem :wink:

One more Nethserver gateway/firewall here in Brazil.

This one is on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II with a Pentium G850 @2.90Mhz 8 Gb ram.
It will enter in action tomorow.!!

It have 3 NICs.
1 for WAN (red)
1 for green ( with various vlan ) for various levels web filtering
1 for blue, with the Ubiquity Controler and five UAPs

1 Like

here my share.

this NS is for home use only, for lab and play around for the modules i want to deploy to my office. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
i’m new entry in this community.
I have done an easy installation of NethServer by using VirtualBox.
I have created a VM that running 2 GB of RAM and one core.
NethServer ask me to change password and so i m begginning to install modules

2 Likes

Ehi man, welcome aboard and thanks for sharing…
What discussions or docs have helped you most?
Would you mind tell us something about you replying to the topic below?

2 Likes

Yeah, love it! :sparkling_heart:
Which of them is NethServer? Black or blue? Right/center/left?

on the right
it’s a Fujitsu primergy tx150 s6 with linux and virtualbox

i have another nethserver in the office of the school, photo coming soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this my other nethserver installation. it’s a IBM system x3200. it’s server only a share for exchange file of only 4 users :smile:

3 Likes

I’m always curious about your installations. Which kind of hardware are you using?
Where are they? In a basement? In a kitchen? Or into a fancy datacenter. :stars:

Hi there,
currently I have one installation for my Rootservers. I plan to implement Nethserver on a client after I played around with Nethservers and know how everything works.

On my rootserver Nethserver is installed on a virtual machine (2GB RAM/2 vCPUs) based on Hyper-V, attached to the red interface.
I use it for/as a:

• Gateway/Routing
  • Firewall/IPS
  • DNS-Server
  • HTTP-Proxy
  • HTTP-ReverseProxy
  • Monitoring and Inventory
  • VPN-Tunnel (planned)
  • OwnCloud (planned)

The same configuration will be at my client without OwnCloud but maybe with Mailservices.

1 Like

It may be old, but it delivers as well as a new one…nobody looks in the Server room anyway!

Small office with a few Tech Support guys with email, file sharing using ownCloud, and VPNs and this Nethserver makes it look easy.

3 Likes

Ahah I like this :slight_smile:

In our company in a production environment (email hosting with SOGo for different domains, during migration from Zentyal), on dedicated hardware placed in DMZ, in the new Server Room (not yet fully functional and finished).

The next NS will replace the Win2k8 PDC/AD

4 Likes

@ Home

(Ns7 is on a VM to make test :smiley: )

@Contabo (VPS)

3 Likes