Storage manager

Hello everyone,
currently beginning on nethserver I could see myself missing an essential thing and I would say even for basic Nethserver 7.2!

The problem is that it is absolutely not possible to manage hard disks, volumes, raid, snapshot, etc …!
For comparison it would be nice to have a little storage manager as a nas (see image), because the system is very simple and intuitive.

Plus I have not seen any documentation about it on the drive assemblies, detection of a hardware RAID or disk mounted hot, unless I misread!

I say that because in fact this is all part of many symptoms:

• How can my new hard drive will be added to the system?
  • How to add hard disk to Nexcloud?
  • How to put on specific VM Pool? (Disk type SAS or SSD)
  • How to get an external iSCSI for VM?
  • How to external storage? (SAS, NAS, private cloud, etc.)

Anyway if anyone knows a way to do it via a web browser, he could tell me how to do with Nethserver?

Unless it’s a good idea to have a storage manager for the final nethserver 7.2 if it does not exist yet :slight_smile:

best regard
Denis B.
sorry my bad english, i’m french!

1 Like

You can install cockpit on el7 you have a storage manager. This module doesn’t exist yet on ns.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer stephdl :wink:
I’ve been testing Cockpit on a Fedora server and I really think that it is limited and not too intuitive compared to Qnap management system that can see in the picture above.

you are not there other things?, which could make it more attractive to Nethserver it apart from other distributions.

regards
denis

Honestly I see only the command line tools to manage your drive. I know it is not the most easier way :slight_smile:

Sometime ago it was evocated to make such tool, but it needs time and the skilled developer to do so.

Take a look also to this old topics:

1 Like

Thank you for all your answers giacomo and Stephdl. :slight_smile:

I understand that it must be an interface or hacking to death for having what you want. :sunglasses:

But is it really serious to do this from the command line with info on the right and left for someone just starting out nethserver?
Besides if one is wrong damn it, to have a well-installed server.:sob:

This does not restrain you are using it has few of superadminsys compare to a wider audience (not pro or pro) :nerd:

I am wrong can be like’m new on using Nethserver, but I have a hard time understanding the basic hardware that runs a server is not longer taken into account in order to have a management interface Implemented and developed for Nethserver.

I see that there is a Priory software raid but how to use it? (See image 384)

best regard
denis
ps: this is in no way the scathing reviews but that of a beginner like your OS Giaocomo

Hi Denis, I know that disk management it’s not so straightforward for a newbie andif you read through the above discussions we already address such discussion :slight_smile:
Sadly there is no way at the moment, thanks for suggesting it.

your best chance is to create the raid level at the installation, after that if you just want to add a drive it is really easy, changing the raid version (eg raid1 to raid5, raid5 to raid6) is not trivial.

what you are seeing is just a wrapper to display the unix command ‘cat /proc/mdstat’

the problem stephdl is that there is nothing with the software:

[root@ns1 ~]# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities :
unused devices:
[root@ns1 ~]#

Since this is a test server, SAS drives (2000Go) have been added after installation.
I think I’ll have to remake all installation for RAID to that the assembly is really nickel :thinking:

it’s a shame to come this solution, unless there is another solution? :flushed:

You have a solution, create a raid array manually after the installation and add all your drives, you have plenty howto on internet. However if your sas drives are under a raid hardware card, it will be useless because it is for a software raid managed by the linux kernel, that the widget can display your raid state.

I know several linux distros, oriented server, without a storage manager panel even if I understand the interest.

Nas distribution -> oriented for less skilled users
Server distribution -> aimed for system administrator or often people who think they are :slight_smile:

In short either you install with a raid software or you add it after.

This is a howto https://wiki.contribs.org/Raid:Creating_large_raid5_array_(over_2TB_drive)