[Solved] Slapd broken after latest update

After updating to rc2 I presented the same authentication issue with nextcloud but thank to your tunning, Nextcloud authenticated again. In the same server I am running squid, sogo, ejabberd and nextclound but none of them, except nextcloud, presented authentication issues after updating to rc2. However, remote applications (like Apache and Cacti) configured to use openLDAP authentication from a central nethserver (the same where sogo, ejabberd and nextcloud are in) stopped authenticating. Such remote applications did authenticate before the rc2 update but no longer now.

Have you any suggestion?

Best regards.

1 Like

We wanted to harden the system, but sometimes more security = more problems :frowning:

Execute the following command and use the obtained credentials:

perl -MNethServer::SSSD -MJSON -e '$o = NethServer::SSSD->new();
    print JSON::to_json({"BaseDN" => $o->baseDN(), 'BindDN' => $o->bindDN(),
         "BindPassword" => $o->bindPassword(), "UserDN" => $o->userDN(),
         "GroupDN" => $o->groupDN()});' | python -mjson.tool

But I think we should fix the ACLs.

I will try the following today:

• sogo
  • nextcloud

Let me know if there is any other service with problems.

2 Likes

Confirmed. My latest updates to sssd and directory are broken.

issue 0: nextcloud config does not use NethServer::SSSD. The fix is trivial and @alep already prepared it.

issue 1: the NethServer::SSSD library returns "BindDN": "cn=ldapservice,dc=dpnet,dc=nethesis,dc=it", but ACLs on slapd are configured by dn.exact="cn=ldapservice,dc=directory,dc=nh" read. The suffix is wrong. Luckily subsequent ACLs grant access anyway and this permits apps to work, as @areguera claims.

issue 2: libuser binds from external hosts; I tried to reproduce the problem without success. Still digging…

As these issues are regressions of this one

LDAP account with read-only privileges · Issue #5145 · NethServer/dev · GitHub

What credentials did the remote applications provide to bind?

I just released a new package for nextcloud.
It should be available shortly in all mirrors.

2 Likes

They were configured to bind anonymously.

Here is the authentication-related configuration of both Trac and Cacti, the two remote applications failing to authenticate, as well as their slapd logs in the nethserver.

Trac uses the following Apache configuration:

<Location /login>
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Trac"
  AuthBasicProvider "ldap"
  AuthLDAPURL "ldap://192.168.8.1/ou=People,dc=directory,dc=nh?uid?sub?(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)"
  Require valid-user
</Location>

In slapd logs, Trac authentication attempts look like the following:

Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 fd=25 ACCEPT from IP=192.168.8.2:53076 (IP=0.0.0.0:389)
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=0 BIND dn=“” method=128
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=0 RESULT tag=97 err=0 text=
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=1 SRCH base=“ou=People,dc=directory,dc=nh” scope=2 deref=3 filter=“(&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(uid=al))”
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=1 SRCH attr=uid
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: <= bdb_equality_candidates: (uid) not indexed
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=1 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=0 nentries=1 text=
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=2 BIND dn=“uid=al,ou=People,dc=directory,dc=nh” method=128
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=2 RESULT tag=97 err=49 text=
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 op=3 UNBIND
Nov 14 18:40:53 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6647 fd=25 closed

Cacti configuration looks like the following:

In slapd logs, Cacti authentication attempts look like the following:

Nov 14 18:45:25 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6676 fd=25 ACCEPT from IP=192.168.8.2:53360 (IP=0.0.0.0:389)
Nov 14 18:45:25 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6676 op=0 BIND dn=“uid=al,ou=People,dc=directory,dc=nh” method=128
Nov 14 18:45:25 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6676 op=0 RESULT tag=97 err=49 text=
Nov 14 18:45:25 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6676 op=1 UNBIND
Nov 14 18:45:25 nethserver slapd[25358]: conn=6676 fd=25 closed

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your detailed report @areguera. It was a great help to understand the problem! :heart_eyes:

From your log trace i see Trac/Apache(mod_ldap) performs two BINDs during the same “conn=6647”. The first is anonymous, but the second sends a clear-text password. For this reason the whole connection must be protected by TLS.

I tried to reproduce your Trac setup. Again, thank you for sharing it! :thumbsup:

The slapd log trace was the same, so I tweaked the config to use STARTTLS. Just append “STARTTLS” to AuthLDAPURL line:

AuthLDAPURL "ldap://192.168.122.7/ou=People,dc=directory,dc=nh?uid?sub?(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)" STARTTLS

I think the ACLs from nethserver-directory-3.0.2 allowed authenticated BIND over an already established anonymous connection without TLS, from remote hosts. This is bad and the latest update tried to fix it. I’m sorry for the inconvenient it caused.

From the dev manual, to inspect ACLs:

ldapsearch -LLL -Y EXTERNAL -b cn=config -s one 'objectClass=olcDatabaseConfig' olcAccess 2>/dev/null | perl -MMIME::Base64 -MEncode=decode -n -00 -e 's/\n +//g;s/(?<=:: )(\S+)/decode("UTF-8",decode_base64($1))/eg;print'

On upgraded rc2 systems the output shows new ACLs prepended to older ones.

Let’s make a recap of the issues reported here! First of all thank you very much for your feedback @stef, @transocean and @areguera!

You reported different issues.

1. Nextcloud. It has been fixed and an update is available: nethserver-nextcloud-1.0.3-1.ns7.noarch.rpm.

2. Roundcube (Webmail). This has been reported also in another thread.

3. SOGo. This is not clear because @areguera didn’t confirm it. Perhaps it is related to the previous one (sieve filters)? We need more information to move forward: please report them in this discussion
    Impossible to send mails via SOGo

4. Connections from external, remote applications didn’t work any more. This is explained by my previous post. I hope the fix works.

Now we’re waiting for the testing of nethserver-mail-server and nethserver-roundcubemail packages. Also a fix is required to nethserver-sssd.

2 Likes

Hi,

All the problems were solved after upgrading sssd, nextcloud and
following your instructions. The only thing i had to do was dealing with
passwords in the dashboard after nextcloud had successfully
re-established connections with Openldap.

Thanks to all developpers/Grazie mille :slight_smile:

Stef

(I’ll close the ticket in the evening)

1 Like

Did you test the nethserver-nextcloud-1.0.3-1.ns7.noarch.rpm package?
Please @transocean and @areguera can you upgrade to the testing package?
I’d like to put this issue into a verified status

That’s it. Yum.log says :
Nov 14 17:14:26 Updated: nethserver-nextcloud-1.0.3-1.ns7.noarch

Hope it’ll help. If you have no other question, then the topic can be closed.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Impossible to send mails via SOGo

Yes I did. Nextcloud authentication works as expected. No authentication issues on it so far.

Both nethserver-directory-3.1.0-1.2.gbd020fc and nethserver-sssd-1.0.8-1.2.g9e5d710 test packages were installed in the server where central openLDAP authentication takes place. No issue so far. Both local and external applications are working as expected.

I need to say that before installing these packages I had applied @davidep’s tuneup and had changed external application configuration to use TLS as he also described. After doing this, the authentication issues once presented on applications (both local and remote) went away and the remote authentication process end up being more secure now.

Thank you very much for such an excellent support and educative debate!

5 Likes

I did have the same problem and am using various devices with e-mail and XMPP client software, took me a while to work out what was happing.

Also, the last update did something weird to my DNS (still not sure what actually happened!)

All is working now though.

@areguera wow! Great help here.

NethServer family… please…

1 Like

Call for testing!

Hi davidep,
I don’t have any troubleshootings left using slapd ; after you solved authentification problem in openldap, i could not send mails in SOGo. It was my latest minor problem and uninstalling and re-installing SOGo this evening solved it. :slight_smile:
Everything works fine now, so how can i help ?
Stef

2 Likes

You already did it! :wink: We will release soon the official updates!

2 Likes

NethServer : a wonderful project handled by nice people :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.