So, what are you working on? - 19 Sep 17

Helloooo NethServer family!
Just 10 days away from our NethServer Conference #conference2017
I’m working hard on our agenda, last details and my talks. I can’t wait to see you there!

But it shouldn’t distract us from welcoming all of our fancy new members! :astonished: 30 new faces this time.

Every week we welcome our new blood asking them to feel immediately comfortable and prepared to post about what they are looking for or what they need help with.

YOU’RE ONE OF US NOW!

Please comment below and try to answer one of these questions:

• What you’re working on?
  • Who are you?
  • What brings you to NethServer?
  • Do you have already installed it?

Ehi…

Finally, I tag some people that are hanging around (I’m a wizard, I see you folks!) @m.traeumner @Miko10 @sharpec @kelevra @Valeriy @devfx11 @himuura @wclemo @jaapvdv @indra @pasing @Hermann_Knabl @bsgsi @greavette @jitkian @Alex.m
What on your plate?

1 Like

There are several problems I work on this week. My biggest problem is a backup over a very slow network. At this time I have no solution for it.
For nearly future my plan is to fly to Italy to the Nethserver Conference :relaxed:

3 Likes

Uhm I don’t know if someone else did some tests with that

That’s a great plan!

I’m installing new disks on NAS, and I’m considering how to migrate the current OMV to NS.
Having already installed the new version of Backuppc 4.1.3, from 3 to 4 the archives are “converted” and the backup takes much less power on the clients.
I should ask @stephdl if an upgrade is planned :blush:
I’m also preparing my suitcase :blue_car:

Arrived here when searching for solution to the Samba CentOS 7.4 update.
Thank you, saved my day, yesterday.

Now downloading the Nethserver iso, will set up a machine to install and test.

I’ve been using CentOS for a few years, taking care of 3 different SME systems, where two of them are in CentOS 6, and only one already in 7. Very dependent on Samba (no AD), all have a mix of Windows and CentOS clients.

Cheers from the beautiful North of Portugal.

Unfortunately the epel version is stuck on the V3

https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=BackupPC

But the V4 is available for Fedora26, I tried to install it on a NS7 but I have had a blank page, even if I have no installation errors

did you install it on NS7 ?

Don’t know what or how much you want to backup, but what about a 2 stage backup, like one daily local backup and then push it over the slow network. So if the slow backup takes 4 days and you keep 4 local backups you should be safe by loosing a maximum of 4 days if the local backup is destroyed. No conflicts and the “long” backup has no perfomance influence on the server.
Then use heavy compression or diff backup to have less data to transfer. Just some ideas…

I would really appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

no, I used OMV already on NAS. is the last machine left without NS.
I’ll try to use the fedora package you said on a VM

Hi Markus,
Thanks for your ideas.
I do the backups with Acronis in an image-file at a windows client, 6 small 2 GB and one big 50 GB at the week. It should be saved at a WD MyCloud Station. I tried with WLAN N 300 MBit and a Powerline adapter with Gigabit LAN, the speed of copying files is 6 MB/s. Testing with only LAN was ok, the Notebook has a 100 Mbit interface, and the result is 11 MB/s. But I have to do it with the Powerline Adapter. Your idea of doing the backup local and copying files later I tried, but copying files breaks too.

ok, theoretically it should work, even if it is not targeted for ns7. Probably a clean install and a howto could drive to a new module.

I have a some Issues to solve right now and my free time is a bit limited, all help is welcome

added on my (long) todo

1 Like

Glad to hear this :slight_smile: welcome here. Why did you move from CentOS to NethServer? What are the main reasons?

That’s a great idea :slight_smile:

Hello Great Wizard of Oz :slight_smile:

I am messing around with Nethserver as a VM and as a VPN server.
And i just found out that my NIC has some problems with virtio and Hardware Checksum Offloading.
I found it out the hardway thou, i decommisinoed Nethserver VPN, what a fool i was, and installed pfSense. Which of course had the same issue.
So i can either use E1000 instead of virtio-net, or i can disable Hardware Checksum Offloading.
But i am yet to find out how to do that on Nethserver :slight_smile: