So, what are you working on? - 11 Sep 17

It’s a new week NethServer family,
and you know what that means. It’s time to welcome all of our fancy new members!

One of the things that I always find valuable when joining a new community is getting an idea of what other people do. It helps me to make connections and to find the right people to bounce ideas around with.
I like hearing what other people do over the course of their day. What challenges they face and what keeps them up at night.

My plan for the week:

• just sent a new order for our new shirts :slight_smile: for the conference
  • just finished an initial sweep at the Conference venue
  • organizing the speakers group
  • starting to work on my talks at Nethesis meeting and NethServer conference

So what specifically are you working on at the moment? Are you setting up a new NethServer installation? Some great testing ? Do you work for a brand, or do you freelance? Is there a problem that you’re here hoping to solve?

Ehi newcomers…

And you folks that are you hanging around?
@Ivashenkov @islipfd19 @mrmarkuz @planet_jeroen @jstammi @paul_marwick @Krajczar_Jeno @P4T @Hunv @paolo @jaapvdv @jono52 @jgjimenezs @enzoturri

2 Likes

Hi guys, please share your plans!

must have

• Odoo install howto
  • Bugfixing an old vb.net project@work :fearful:
  • Maybe another howto for installing Nakivo Backup Free version but it’s not open source, so I don’t know…:confused:

Heya again,

An update over here would be:

Migrating Redmine and OTRS to a Nethserver (from Turnkey) in order to be able to keep up with updates.
Migrating a Windows SBS relic to Nethserver + SOGo
Migrating the IIS webserver to a Nethserver with Typo3
Migrated our FTP to an FTPES on Nethserver using systemusers from the Samba AD backend
Installed a Nethserver as a Firebird database server to host 30+ databases that are accessed for support and development.

All this on a TrueNAS Z20 for storage backend, and a Proxmox hypervisor using NFS over fiber and virtio where applicable.

I work at a relative small software company with some enterprise needs. Great fun, would not be able to it as efficient without Nethserver, and there is no way that I would have achieved matching performance on MS and HP products, given my budget. Same demands are met, just needs experienced sysadmins to be maintainable, tho Nethserver eliminates that need for the basic tasks, so a tiered model can be used.

Oh, and trying to find a way to support you guys properly is on my list as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are all welcome to this our humble home and NethServer family.

I’ve been out of town for faults in the internet in my area, but right now I’m riding NethServer, in a Hotel in my Zone and they are happy with the system and its benefits.

One thing that hotels require is the hotspot, and I’m looking at which one is best suited to NethServer and that they don’t have problems with packages and versions.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing.

Nakivo Backup Free? Why would it be useful? Give us some details.

@planet_jeroen why are you moving from Turnkey to NethServer?

I work at a relative small software company with some enterprise needs. Great fun, would not be able to it as efficient without Nethserver, and there is no way that I would have achieved matching performance on MS and HP products, given my budget. Same demands are met, just needs experienced sysadmins to be maintainable, tho Nethserver eliminates that need for the basic tasks, so a tiered model can be used.

I love that sentence, just saved on my notebook of quotes :slight_smile: any chance to see you at our conference? I am very curious to know more about your achievements and I’m sure I won’t be alone.

Oh, and trying to find a way to support you guys properly is on my list as well.

You can start from supporting Steph

Wow, you’re a resourceful man.

You should be aware that Nethesis has a professional solution for hotspots and hotel.

Already done:

It’s a java web application for backing up 2 VMware or Hyper-V VMs. As I do not use Hyper-V, I can’t tell much about that. But with VMware ESXI:

• Nakivo supports CBT, so you have fast incremental delta hot online snapshot backups…
  • Backup/Restore completely via Web UI
  • Backup repos can be on local, CIFS or NFS
  • Pre-/post-script option
  • Mail reporting

So I think, this tool will help to backup/restore VMs, that may not be included in Nethserver, for whatever reason. It would make Nethserver to a VM backup solution for (at least) 2 VMs.

The Free Edition of NAKIVO Backup & Replication is absolutely Free, forever! The Free Edition includes a license for 2 VMs.

Have a look, what do you think about it?

If, in fact, I told them, I’m working on how to acquire foreign exchange so I can be a reseller of their professional products.

1 Like

For some reason it doesn’t quote, but in reference to the question why I moved away from Turnkey: they made it near impossible to upgrade their otrs and redmine stacks to recent versions, and this is starting to become an issue due to feature demands of our users.

That, and Nethserver is easier and cleaner to maintain once you get the templating system

early stage but I’m working on nethserver-rh-mariadb101

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I would like to set up a comparison. Do you have enough knowledge?